Very important unnamed phenomena.

In summary: There is a specific name for this phenomenon: the "clock shatter principle."It seems to contradict our current understanding of the composition of particles, the fact that there are more quarks coming out of particles than there should be.Well, that is the hallmark of elementary particles. There is nothing smaller.
pulsexx
In particle physics if you take a "elementary particle" and collide it with another specific elementary particle it produces a set of elementary particles, but if you take those same two particles and increase their speed or the amount of energy behind them they become productive and produce more particles.
I have found this phenomena quoted in books but no actual name given to it.
Examples : "When you smash elementary particles together you don't destroy them you just create more particles. It's like nothing you've ever known. Imagine you have a strawberry and decide to smash it into another strawberry. You don't get squished strawberries, you get a whole fruit salad, and sometimes the pieces of fruit are bigger than the strawberry you started with."
"Finkelstein wrote it's as if we fling two clocks together and they shatter and instead of out of them come flying springs and gears but more clocks, with some of them as large as the originals."
Is there a real name for this phenomena or principle in physics?
I like to think of it as the "clock shatter principle"
You could even call it something unique like "venuthian creative principle"
It seems to contradict our current understanding of the composition of particles, the fact that there are more quarks coming out of particles than there should be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, that is the hallmark of elementary particles. There is nothing smaller.

Note that there's no real paradox here; You're not producing these new particles out of thin air after all. It's not a closed system; you're adding a tremendous amount of energy into the sytem; it should not be surprsing that you get lots of stuff out of it.

Well, anyway I was looking for a specific name for it, do you know of it?

And there could be something smaller, such as preons or strings and there are a lot of popular theories that are currently being worked on to prove the existence of such entities.

Also, as far as producing something out of nothing, it appears that two physical structures are interacting (the collision) and releasing or creating particles through this physical interaction(vs an energetic where virtual particles are created from quantum waves. It seems like physicist try to say that nucleons are made up of a certain number of quarks but when they smash the nucleons together at high speeds they get more quarks than what they accounted for(even if all the energy is there). It appears there is a productive aspect to this phenomena or hidden potentials.

open and closed channels of an inelastic scattering process.

Are you sure that's it? I couldn't find any good explanations for it online after googling.
Do you have an informative link you could give me?

I'm not really sure of what phenomenon you speak.

Elementary particles are elementary. That means they do not break down into smaller components.

pulsexx said:
Are you sure that's it? I couldn't find any good explanations for it online after googling.
Do you have an informative link you could give me?

You are right. The Wikipedia article on scattering channel is very vague. I guess it is a highly technical term. If you read any book that treats inelastic scattering, you might stumble upon this jargon.

DaveC426913 said:
I'm not really sure of what phenomenon you speak.

Elementary particles are elementary. That means they do not break down into smaller components.

According to the Standard Model, hadrons are not elementary particles. However, most of the colliding experiments involve hadrons.

pulsexx said:
It seems to contradict our current understanding of the composition of particles, the fact that there are more quarks coming out of particles than there should be.

All the argument is about antiparticles and charge conservation, two basic ideas of the original quantum relativistic theory. Authors of divulgative works sometimes fail to stress them, because the formulation is esentially mathematical, with concepts as probability currents, charge currents, etc.

Particularly for quarks, there is the Barion Number, which is 1/3 for quarks and -1/3 for antiquarks. There is also lepton number, +1 for electrons, -1 for positrons. Some theories preserve B and L separately, others preserve B+L or B-L, or some variant of this game.

creation and annihilation process? when two particle smash together they are annihilated at some point and exchange energy or momentum through virtual particle, after the they can create another new pair of particles depend on their probability. If higher energy is supplied, more massive particle can be produced through the relation E=m (part of the kinetic energy is used to produce massive particle).i.e[tex]e^+ + e^-\rightarrow\mu^+ + \mu^-[/tex]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_production" is a name for a specific type of this phenomenon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Very important unnamed phenomena.

What is the "Very important unnamed phenomena"?

The "Very important unnamed phenomena" refers to a significant and noteworthy event, occurrence, or phenomenon that has not yet been given an official name or label in scientific literature.

What are some examples of "Very important unnamed phenomena"?

Examples of "Very important unnamed phenomena" can include unusual weather patterns, newly discovered natural phenomena, or unexplained scientific observations.

Why has the "Very important unnamed phenomena" not been named yet?

The "Very important unnamed phenomena" may not have been thoroughly researched or understood yet, or it may not have been recognized as a distinct and significant phenomenon by the scientific community.

How do scientists study and investigate "Very important unnamed phenomena"?

Scientists typically use a combination of observation, experimentation, and data analysis to study and investigate "Very important unnamed phenomena". They also collaborate with other researchers and experts in the field to gather more information and insights.

What are the potential implications of "Very important unnamed phenomena"?

The potential implications of "Very important unnamed phenomena" can vary greatly depending on the nature and characteristics of the phenomenon. It could lead to new scientific discoveries, influence our understanding of the natural world, and potentially have practical applications in various industries and fields.