Very Very Basic Numeracy Question - I'm Having a Dumb Moment?

• Thread starter Physics Enemy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about doppler shift and the formula (f2-f1)/f1 = -kT. The question asks how much T can fluctuate in order to make use of frequencies compared to 1 part in 10^15. The answer is that the difference |f2-f1| is comparable to f1/10^15 or f2/10^15, meaning it is a lot smaller than f1 and can be expressed as a constant multiplied by the variation in T. This variation is not a percentage, but rather a number.
Physics Enemy
Hi,

Basically the question is about doppler shift. The formula is:
(f2 - f1)/f1 = -kT ; f1 = Freq in object rest frame, f2 = Freq in lab frame

The Q: Often, frequencies are compared to 1 part in 10^15. In order to make use of this level of accuracy, to what extent can T fluctuate?

I think I'm having a serious dumb moment. Does this mean (f2 - f1) is at least 1/10^15? i.e.) We can't discern less than that? But then what do I do; are they expecting a % error?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics Enemy said:
Hi,

Basically the question is about doppler shift. The formula is:
(f2 - f1)/f1 = -kT ; f1 = Freq in object rest frame, f2 = Freq in lab frame
There is a problem with your equation, since the units do not match. The left side is unitless, while kT has units of energy.

The Q: Often, frequencies are compared to 1 part in 10^15. In order to make use of this level of accuracy, to what extent can T fluctuate?

I think I'm having a serious dumb moment. Does this mean (f2 - f1) is at least 1/10^15? i.e.) We can't discern less than that? But then what do I do; are they expecting a % error?
It means |f2-f1| is comparable to f1/1015, or f2/1015.

Redbelly98 said:
There is a problem with your equation, since the units do not match. The left side is unitless, while kT has units of energy.
Sorry - The k is just a constant I put in, it's actually various quantities bundled together. So the dimensions do turn out to be correct. I just wanted to simplify and focus on the Q.

Redbelly98 said:
It means |f2-f1| is comparable to f1/1015, or f2/1015.
This is the key point and thanks for your answer. Could you perhaps expand on this? At the moment it just seems a little random to me and I don't understand it in laymans terms. And why is it one or the other (f1/10^15 'or' f2/10^15) ?

Thanks!

Physics Enemy said:
Sorry - The k is just a constant I put in, it's actually various quantities bundled together. So the dimensions do turn out to be correct. I just wanted to simplify and focus on the Q.
Okay, that makes more sense. (The letter k is also used for Boltzmann's constant, which often appears in equations with temperature in the form kT, so I wrongly assumed you meant that.)

This is the key point and thanks for your answer. Could you perhaps expand on this? At the moment it just seems a little random to me and I don't understand it in laymans terms. And why is it one or the other (f1/10^15 'or' f2/10^15) ?

Thanks!
Well, in layman's terms, it means the difference |f2-f1| is a lot smaller than f1. How much less? Well, it's 1/1015 times smaller than f1. We could also say that f2 is 0.999999999999999*f1, or maybe it's 1.000000000000001*f1 -- depending on whether f1 or f2 is larger than the other. Either way, it doesn't matter whether |f2-f1| is being compared to f1 or f2, because f1 and f2 are so very nearly equal to each other.

Or, put another way, the ratio

|f2 - f1| / f1 = 1/1015

Redbelly98 said:
Okay, that makes more sense. (The letter k is also used for Boltzmann's constant, which often appears in equations with temperature in the form kT, so I wrongly assumed you meant that.)
Yes you're right, it was sloppy of me. :)

Redbelly98 said:
Well, in layman's terms, it means the difference |f2-f1| is a lot smaller than f1. How much less? Well, it's 1/1015 times smaller than f1. We could also say that f2 is 0.999999999999999*f1, or maybe it's 1.000000000000001*f1 -- depending on whether f1 or f2 is larger than the other. Either way, it doesn't matter whether |f2-f1| is being compared to f1 or f2, because f1 and f2 are so very nearly equal to each other.

Or, put another way, the ratio

|f2 - f1| / f1 = 1/1015
Thanks, I'm happy with this. So therefore:

1/10^15 = Constant * (Variation in T)
Variation in T = Some Number

So it's not a %, just +/- this number. Correct?

Thank you RedBelly. :-)

Related to Very Very Basic Numeracy Question - I'm Having a Dumb Moment?

1. What is numeracy?

Numeracy is the ability to understand and work with numbers. It involves basic mathematical skills such as counting, addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. Why is numeracy important?

Numeracy is important because it is a fundamental skill that is necessary for everyday tasks such as managing finances, measuring ingredients for cooking, and understanding time and schedules. It also helps with problem-solving and critical thinking.

3. What are some common mistakes people make in numeracy?

Some common mistakes in numeracy include mixing up numbers, not understanding place value, and making errors in basic operations such as addition and subtraction. Other mistakes include not being able to read and interpret graphs or charts, and not understanding fractions and decimals.

4. How can I improve my numeracy skills?

To improve your numeracy skills, practice regularly with basic math problems, use real-life situations to apply math concepts, and seek help from a tutor or online resources if needed. Additionally, practicing mental math and using tools such as a calculator can also aid in improving numeracy skills.

5. Can numeracy be learned at any age?

Yes, numeracy can be learned at any age. While it is easier to develop numeracy skills at a young age, it is never too late to improve and strengthen these skills. With practice and determination, anyone can improve their numeracy skills at any stage of life.