Vibration Energy Harvester from Brownian motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential violation of the second law of thermodynamics in relation to a device developed by the University of Arkansas that uses a free floating graphene sheet to extract energy from brownian motion and convert it into electric current. The article is not clear about the specifics, but the paper suggests that a thermal gradient or mechanical motion is needed to drive the vibrations and extract useful energy. The conversation also references a related review and mentions further interest in the research.
Johan
Hi all, been a while since I studied physics but I saw something that I found strange,

This device: https://researchfrontiers.uark.edu/good-vibrations/ from University of Arkansas

A free floating graphene sheet extracting energy from brownian motion and converting that to electric current.

wouldn't this violate the second law of thermodynamics? or am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The article is not really clear, so I had a look at the paper (pdf). As far as I understand that, you need a thermal gradient or mechanical motion of the overall system to drive these vibrations if you want to extract useful energy from them. The article makes a much bigger deal of this harvesting than the publication, which focuses on the research.

Likes Dale
That recent report references this review, which may be of additional interest.

Likes Johan
mtb, I'll have a look at the paper to see if I can get a better understanding of what is going on.

1. What is a Vibration Energy Harvester from Brownian motion?

A Vibration Energy Harvester from Brownian motion is a type of energy harvesting technology that converts the random movements of particles in a liquid or gas (known as Brownian motion) into usable electrical energy. It is a type of nanogenerator that is able to harvest energy from the surrounding environment without the need for an external power source.

2. How does a Vibration Energy Harvester from Brownian motion work?

The harvester is made up of a piezoelectric material, such as lead zirconate titanate (PZT), that can convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. The material is coated with a layer of nanoparticles, which can move with the random vibrations of Brownian motion. As the particles move, they create an electrical charge that is captured by the piezoelectric material and converted into usable energy.

3. What are the potential applications of Vibration Energy Harvester from Brownian motion?

One potential application is in self-powered sensors, where the harvester can be used to provide a continuous and renewable source of energy for sensors in remote or hard-to-reach locations. It can also be used in small electronic devices, such as wearables, that require low levels of power. Additionally, it can be integrated into larger systems as a secondary power source to increase energy efficiency.

4. What are the advantages of using Vibration Energy Harvester from Brownian motion?

One of the main advantages is its ability to harvest energy from the surrounding environment, eliminating the need for batteries or external power sources. This makes it a more sustainable and cost-effective option for powering electronic devices. It is also small and lightweight, making it suitable for use in portable devices.

5. What are the challenges facing Vibration Energy Harvester from Brownian motion?

One challenge is the low power output of the harvester, which limits its use to low-power devices. The efficiency of the harvester is also affected by factors such as temperature and humidity, which can affect the movements of the nanoparticles. Additionally, the durability and stability of the harvester over long periods of time are still being studied and improved upon.