Vibration in "cantilever" rotating bar

In summary, the bar feeder will not have a longer than 1.2 m and will not have a diameter of more than 75 mm. It will use supports to minimize vibration and will need to be very straight.
sempiternum
Hi. I'm working in the design of an auotomatic bar feeder for a CNC lathe. I've established that the bars will not be longer than 1.2 m and will not have a diameter of more than 75 mm. Suppose they are steel bars, which would make them have a mass of about 80 kg

So, bars are tightly held in one end by the lathe chuck, as shown in this image

YRsxAcP.png

Now, on the other end there'll be the automatic feeder. When the chuck starts to rotate to, let's say 1000 RPM, the free end will not naturally stay centered, so, I need to calculate the magnitude of the force created by the vibration on the free end as to design the components that will hold it steady.

How can I approach this calculation?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Vibration analysis is a somewhat complex topic, for a start you might take a look at some of MIT's Open Course information available on the topic: MIT OpenCourseWare - Mechanical Vibrations.

Generally speaking, I think you'll need to minimize the cantilever load to minimize the amount of vibration induced by both 1) asymmetries in the bar, and 2) tilt due to run-out in the lathe chuck and mechanical interface. How much of the bar is being processed, and how straight will they typically be?

Mech_Engineer said:
Vibration analysis is a somewhat complex topic, for a start you might take a look at some of MIT's Open Course information available on the topic: MIT OpenCourseWare - Mechanical Vibrations.

Generally speaking, I think you'll need to minimize the cantilever load to minimize the amount of vibration induced by both 1) asymmetries in the bar, and 2) tilt due to run-out in the lathe chuck and mechanical interface. How much of the bar is being processed, and how straight will they typically be?

Yes, actually, the bar won't be in cantilever, it would be held in place through all of its length (Outside of the lathe) with 3 or four devices like shown in this picture

IzgoqsG.png

What I want to calculate is a magnitude of force "F", which should be big enough so that there's minimum eccentrity, without applying excesive pressure.

I presented it as a cantilever because I thought it would simplify analysis since it would be the most critical situation.

The supports you've outlined will need to be almost perfectly coincident with the lathe chuck to work, and will only work if the bar is very straight. Also, I'm not sure a simple v-block like you've outlined will be a good choice for support of a rod rotating at thousands of rpm, friction may be a problem (and will be loud). You will probably want rollers/bearings instead.

This is a problem that has been solved many times, do a search for "long part on a short lathe" for some ideas. Take this thread for example: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/long-parts-short-lathe-234926/

Mech_Engineer said:
The supports you've outlined will need to be almost perfectly coincident with the lathe chuck to work, and will only work if the bar is very straight. Also, I'm not sure a simple v-block like you've outlined will be a good choice for support of a rod rotating at thousands of rpm, friction may be a problem (and will be loud). You will probably want rollers/bearings instead.

I've based my design on what I've seen in most bar feeders (see notes). Also, "V" channels will probably be constantly lightly lubricated, and the force from the plastic roller applied through a spring. Most machines actually use 2 "V" channels, but I'd still need some sort of notion of the force to be applied by the top "V" channel.

Notes from: http://www.productionmachining.com/...derations-for-high-speed-lights-out-machining

Guide Channel Sets
Most magazine bar feeders use some form of guide channel sets made of polyurethane that are sized to handle a specific range of material. Guide channel sets form the long channel inside a bar feeder that opens and closes to capture the pusher and barstock and help create a hydrostatic bearing when flooded with oil in automatic operation. A few years ago, polyurethane use emerged in items such as spindle liners, bearing blocks, rollers and guide channel sets because of its inherent lubricity, durability and ability to absorb vibration and noise.

Roller Steady Rests
Another development that occurred during the last few years and was embraced by some bar feeder manufacturers has been the use of roller steady rest systems featuring adjustable polyurethane rollers. Some bar feeders place this mechanism internal to the bar feeder; others place it between the bar feeder end plate and the lathe or provide both internal and external roller systems. The bottom line is that these devices help support the rotating bar and promote higher spindle speeds.​

1. What is a cantilever rotating bar?

A cantilever rotating bar is a type of structure that is anchored at one end and free to rotate at the other. It is commonly used in engineering and research to study the effects of vibration and rotation on materials.

2. How does vibration occur in a cantilever rotating bar?

Vibration in a cantilever rotating bar occurs when an external force, such as rotation or an applied load, causes the bar to bend or deform. This bending motion creates a vibration that can be measured and analyzed.

3. What factors affect the vibration of a cantilever rotating bar?

Several factors can affect the vibration of a cantilever rotating bar, including the material and shape of the bar, the speed of rotation, and the magnitude and direction of applied loads. The length of the bar and any damping materials or devices can also impact the vibration.

4. How is vibration measured in a cantilever rotating bar?

Vibration in a cantilever rotating bar can be measured using sensors, such as accelerometers, that are attached to the bar. These sensors detect the motion of the bar and provide data that can be used to analyze the vibration patterns and frequencies.

5. What are the applications of studying vibration in cantilever rotating bars?

Studying vibration in cantilever rotating bars has many practical applications, such as understanding the behavior of materials under different loads and speeds, optimizing designs for structures and machinery, and detecting potential failures or weaknesses in structures. It is also used in research and development for new materials and technologies.