Vibration of a Circular Membrane Equation

In summary, the conversation is about a Grade 12 student in Australia who is writing an Extended essay on the effect of tension on the fundamental vibration of a circular membrane. The student has completed the practical side and written up the methods and results, but is struggling with comparing the experimental data to theoretical values due to limited knowledge of partial differential equations. They are seeking help on the best way to approach this, including alternative equations for plugging in variables and understanding the partial differential equation. The conversation also touches on the use of polar coordinates, Bessel functions, and available resources for solving the two-dimensional wave equation. More specific details about the experiment, such as the method of data measurement, would be helpful in providing assistance.
Moss Pauly
Hello,
I am currently in the process of writing an Extended essay on the the "Effect of Tension on the fundamental Vibration of a circular Membrane" I have already completed the practical side of this by making 5 diaphragms with a 3 micron thick mylar membrane and have written up the methods and the results. I am currently at the stage where i have to do a comparison of experimental data to theoretical values. As i am only a Grade 12 maths student (Australia) my Knowledge of P.D is limited and the only equations that i can find seem to be quite complex P.D equations I am happy to put time into trying to understand the partial differential equation but i need help. My post here is to basically ask of the best way of going about this. Is there any other equation that i could use to plug in variables with tension being one. or is anyone able to go through how to operate the P.D equation with me?

Thanks,
Moss

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

You're advanced at your age!
You know the boundary conditions, right? So a circular membrane (or 'drum') has radially symmetric initial conditions, which means that they only depend on radius r.

The equation you need to use here is the 'two-dimensional wave equation' in polar form - i.e. you need to use the Laplacian in there written in polar form: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_operator
(Look for the *polar* form in this article. Don't worry about where it came from right away; just focus on how to solve the wave equation in general. After that it's just changing coordinate systems; here we use polar coordinates.)

Can you solve the one-dimensional wave equation? If not you should ask your teacher for help. You need to know Bessel functions; they're weird at first but pretty simple to use. What book(s) are you using?

The tension part fits right into the wave equation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_equation

Here is a decent source on how to solve the 2-D wave eq.: http://personal.rhul.ac.uk/UHAP/027/PH2130/PH2130_files/membrane.pdf
In the link above scroll down to the polar form of the wave eq. and read from there, as long as it's helping. If not, hopefully your teacher can show you or someone here who has LaTeX might be able to outline the steps.

I think it might be a bit ambitious to learn on your own in a short time, but then I don't know how much you know about it.

Any more specific details about your experiment would be great, like how you're measuring your data?

Related to Vibration of a Circular Membrane Equation

1. What is the equation for the vibration of a circular membrane?

The equation for the vibration of a circular membrane is known as the wave equation, and it is represented by the following formula: d2u/dt2 = c2(d2u/dx2 + d2u/dy2), where u represents the displacement of the membrane, t represents time, c represents the speed of the wave, and x and y represent the position coordinates.

2. What is the significance of the circular membrane in this equation?

The circular membrane is used as a model for many real-world systems, such as drums, cymbals, and even the surface of a human eardrum. It allows for a simplified analysis and understanding of the behavior of these systems, making it a useful tool in the study of vibrations.

3. How is the circular membrane equation solved?

There is no general analytical solution for the circular membrane equation. However, there are various numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, that can be used to approximate the solution.

4. What are the boundary conditions for the circular membrane equation?

The boundary conditions for the circular membrane equation depend on the specific problem being solved. However, in general, the boundary conditions are set based on the physical properties of the system, such as the material and shape of the membrane, and any external forces or constraints acting on it.

5. How does the circular membrane equation relate to musical instruments?

The circular membrane equation is closely related to the study of musical instruments, particularly percussion instruments. The vibrations of a circular membrane can be used to model the sound produced by drums, cymbals, and other percussion instruments. By studying the behavior of these vibrations, we can gain a better understanding of the sound production in musical instruments and potentially even improve their design and performance.