Vibration of wine tanks using music

In summary, these big stainless steel tanks hold wine and have a powerful amplifier that plays music to mix the wine less. The wine celler has +/- 14 tanks that are 3-5 meters tall and are sitting on a concrete floor. There is a powerful baffle that is installed +/- 3 meters high. The sound waves from the amplifier have to travel through many metres of air before reaching the side/s of the tank. Workers risk hearing loss if they are listening to the music at high power. There may be a different method that would more efficiently couple the sound energy to the tank contents, perhaps by something attached to one side or encompassing the tank, or placed under one of its steel supports (if it has legs), or floated
wyckmans
hello
I'm a belgian wine maker.
We play music in our wine celler (with a very powerfull baffle) because it creates small vibrations on the tanks.
Thanks to this we mix he wines less and so they keep more aromas .
I would like to get more "powerfull" vibrations.
Does somebody have an idea of how I can do this ?
Thanks beforehand for your help
Andy

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi wyckmans. :welcome:

These are big stainless-steel tanks? How many metres tall?

As you currently have it, do the music waves from your amplifier have to travel through many metres of air before reaching the side/s of the tank?

Are the tanks sitting on a concrete floor?

Hello
Thanks for your answer
Yes, the +/- 14 tanks are in stainless steel - they are displayed in 4 rows
more or less 4 per row
Each row is separated by +/- 1m50 and the tanks lay next to each other every +/- 20 cm
The hight varies between 3 m to 5 m high
The ground is in concrete and covered with tiles (+/-3mm thick)
The baffle (3000watt -Phantom - Devialet system) is installed +/- 3m high (because of the risk of humidity while we clean or work)
Thanks for your follow up
Kind regards
andy

NascentOxygen said:
Hi wyckmans. :welcome:

These are big stainless-steel tanks? How many metres tall?

As you currently have it, do the music waves from your amplifier have to travel through many metres of air before reaching the side/s of the tank?

Are the tanks sitting on a concrete floor?

Hello again,
I haven't received any more answer / reaction to my last mail (of thursday)?
Did you receive it ?
andy

There isn't a lot that I can add, just some musings.

3kW of sound in an environment of steel and concrete...sounds like workers risk hearing loss?

I was wondering whether there might be optimum frequencies, perhaps low frequencies that resonate closely with the tanks, these would not be pleasant to listen to during the work day, but could be played at high power overnight?

There may be a different method that would more efficiently couple the sound energy to the tank contents, perhaps by something attached to one side or encompassing the tank, or placed under one of its steel supports (if it has legs), or floated on or immersed in the contents. There would seem to be enormous scope for experimentation.

You don't know of any similar practice at any other winery with which you could compare notes?

Good luck with your brewing! [emoji485][emoji485]

What is the concept behind using music to vibrate wine tanks?

The concept behind using music to vibrate wine tanks is based on the principle of resonance. When music is played, it creates sound waves that can cause vibrations in the surrounding objects. By carefully selecting the frequency and intensity of the music, these vibrations can be used to enhance the fermentation process in wine tanks.

What benefits does vibration of wine tanks using music offer?

Vibrating wine tanks using music can offer several benefits, including improved fermentation, increased extraction of flavor compounds, and enhanced tannin structure. It can also help to reduce the time and cost of wine production by accelerating the aging process.

What types of music are most effective for vibrating wine tanks?

Studies have shown that low frequency music, such as classical or ambient music, is most effective for vibrating wine tanks. These types of music have a more consistent and stable frequency that can create a steady vibration in the tanks.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using music to vibrate wine tanks?

One potential drawback is that the vibrations may cause sediment in the wine to stir up, leading to a cloudy appearance. This can be mitigated by using a filtration system. Additionally, some winemakers may prefer traditional methods and may not be open to incorporating music into the winemaking process.

Is there any scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of vibrating wine tanks using music?

Yes, there have been several studies conducted on the use of music to vibrate wine tanks, and the results have shown positive effects on the production and quality of wine. However, more research is needed to fully understand the mechanisms behind this technique and its impact on different types of wine.