Vibration proof hinge and lock

In summary, the designer is having trouble affording the parts for the arm and is considering redesigning the arm. He is concerned about vibrations and fitment issues. He also mentioned that he is looking into other locking mechanisms.
RKD89
Hi All.

I am stuck in a problem.
Please check the image attached.
It's part of a foldable mechanism of a quad copter arm.
The red part is fixed to the body, the grey part is fixed to arms. The transparent part is a threaded collar/sleeve.
The yellow part is a stopper. The hinge is a connecting rod between the grey and red part, not shown here.
The red part has external thread on which the yellow stopper mates.
The yellow part acts as a stopper to the transparent sleeve so that the sleeve doesn't come out. The sleeve gets lockedin between stopper and the red side.
The transparent sleeve also has internal thread which can be engaged with the grey part.
When the mechanism is in lock position, the transparent sleeve is engaged with threads on grey part and is also in contact with the red side through stressed contact with the yellow stopper (there is a flange on the transparent sleeve).
Hope the description is clear enough.
Now my concerns:
There will be vibration in the mechanism (motor and prop wash vibrations causing vibrations in the arm).
My concern is if due to vibrations mechanism may come off (threads may get disengaged). This can be sorted by having a very fine pitch. Secondly I can add a spring/lock washer between sleeve and stopper.

Another concern is the radial fitment between the transparent sleeve and the yellow stopper. There will be minor gaps (even if they are at micron level) and this will leave the mechanism a bit unconstrained , hence vibration.

Solution:
Line the stopper with rubber, such that the transparent sleeve is force to slide over the stopper.
My problem is what type of rubber should I use, too hard and it will be difficult to slide over. Too soft and the mechanism will not have sufficient stiffness.
Beside the transparent sleeve will have threading in the inside which will in time "eat" the rubber out.

Any other ideas to solve this problem? I have also looked at other locking mechanisms (one very similar to

Attachments

• Locking mechanism.png
    Locking mechanism.png
    10 KB · Views: 482
Engineering news on Phys.org
Another solution to your clearance problem might be to make the flange to sleeve contact face cone shaped rather than flat.

Likes RKD89
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Now to just figure out how to add some spring action in it

How much spring action is needed and what is its primary purpose?

If it is only to make the joint more secure, you might consider 3 or 4 evenly spaced longitudinal slots in the sleeve section surrounding the flange.

Another joint option you might consider is to extend a tapered end on the red part beyond the flange face and machine an internal mating taper into the end of the gray mating part.. By this method you can have a very shallow and long mating taper angle to align and lock the two components together.

Likes RKD89
@JBA
Thanks for the reply
It's for a foldable arm of a quadcopter.

I found out rough costing for the above parts and it seems I can't really afford it. Hence I am changing my design

1. What makes a hinge and lock "vibration proof"?

A vibration proof hinge and lock is designed with materials and construction methods that minimize the effects of external vibrations. This can include using high-quality metals, precision engineering, and shock-absorbing mechanisms.

2. What types of applications require a vibration proof hinge and lock?

Vibration proof hinges and locks are commonly used in industrial and commercial settings where there is a high level of vibration, such as heavy machinery, transportation vehicles, and electronic equipment. They are also used in residential settings for safety and security purposes.

3. How does a vibration proof hinge and lock differ from a regular hinge and lock?

A vibration proof hinge and lock is specifically designed to withstand the effects of external vibrations, whereas a regular hinge and lock may not have the same level of durability. Vibration proof hinges and locks often have additional features, such as rubber gaskets or double-locking mechanisms, to prevent loosening or breakage.

4. Can a vibration proof hinge and lock be used for high-security applications?

Yes, vibration proof hinges and locks are often used in high-security applications because they are more resistant to tampering and forced entry. They can also provide added protection against shock and impact damage, making them suitable for use in sensitive environments.

5. Are there any maintenance or care requirements for vibration proof hinges and locks?

Like any mechanical component, vibration proof hinges and locks may require occasional maintenance to ensure proper functioning. This may include cleaning and lubricating the hinges, checking for wear and tear, and replacing any damaged parts. Regular maintenance can help prolong the lifespan of the hinge and lock and ensure its effectiveness in vibration-proofing.