Video lecture suggestion for Sakurai quantum mechanics Textbook

In summary, the person is struggling with understanding Sakurai's Modern quantum mechanics textbook, particularly the Dirac formulation of QM. They are looking for video lectures online that follow the text consistently to gain new insights and clear their doubts. They mention that Sakurai's math may be too difficult for them and suggest trying McMahon's textbook instead. They also ask about the level of mathematics and QM knowledge needed for Sakurai's text. They offer a suggestion for Alexander Maloney's lectures on QM using Sakurai as a helpful resource.
aiswariya
hello! I've been trying to read through Sakurai's Modern quantum mechanics textbook ( My goal is to finish the first 3 chapters and understand the Dirac formulation of QM specifically) but I find myself stumbling at many places. Are there any video lectures on the internet that follows this text fairly consistently, so i can get new insights and clear my doubts?

Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
aiswariya said:
hello! I've been trying to read through Sakurai's Modern quantum mechanics textbook ( My goal is to finish the first 3 chapters and understand the Dirac formulation of QM specifically) but I find myself stumbling at many places. Are there any video lectures on the internet that follows this text fairly consistently, so i can get new insights and clear my doubts?

Thank You!

What specifically don't you understand? Can you post an example?

What level of mathematics can you handle? In particular, how well do you understand linear algebra (without the Dirac notation)?

How much QM do you already know? I think that Sakurai is better for a second course in QM. For example, when he derives the Schrodinger equation he presents it as something you should already be familiar with. Not as something you are seeing for the first time.

1. What is the Sakurai quantum mechanics textbook?

The Sakurai quantum mechanics textbook, also known as "Modern Quantum Mechanics", is a widely used textbook for graduate-level courses in quantum mechanics. It was written by the renowned physicist Jun John Sakurai and is known for its clear and comprehensive coverage of the subject.

2. Why do I need video lectures for the Sakurai quantum mechanics textbook?

The Sakurai quantum mechanics textbook can be quite challenging for students, especially those who are new to the subject. Video lectures can provide additional explanations, visual aids, and examples that can help students better understand the concepts and solve problems more effectively.

3. Are there any recommended video lectures for the Sakurai quantum mechanics textbook?

Yes, there are many video lectures available online that cover the material in the Sakurai textbook. Some popular options include lectures by MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and The Organic Chemistry Tutor on YouTube.

4. Can video lectures replace reading the Sakurai quantum mechanics textbook?

No, video lectures should not replace reading the textbook. The textbook is the primary source of information and provides a more in-depth understanding of the material. Video lectures should be used as a supplement to the textbook, not a replacement.

5. Are there any free video lectures for the Sakurai quantum mechanics textbook?

Yes, many of the recommended video lectures for the Sakurai textbook are available for free online. However, some platforms may require a subscription or payment for access to certain lectures or additional resources.