Video of guitar strings from inside guitar

In summary, the conversation discusses a video where a cell phone was placed inside a guitar to capture the movement of the strings. The initial reaction was that it looked fake, but it was later determined to be a stroboscopic effect. The conversation also mentions the search for high speed camera videos of guitar strings, and the suggestion of a better video from Trevor Cox at Salford University.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Several of my students have pointed me to this video: http://bit.ly/1N1IGR8 Apparently the guy put his cell phone inside his guitar and took a video. My initial reaction was that it looked fake, because the time scale of the movement of his thumb seemed mismatched to the time scale of the motion of the wave impulses on the string, but now I'm thinking that this may just be a stroboscopic effect. Would anyone care to put together a more detailed interpretation of what's going on? I wonder what the frame rate of cell phone video is. Some of the comments on the video may be relevant.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not fake, but indeed an effect of how the camera captures the image. I came across this a year ago or so when I was looking for high speed camera videos of guitarr strings to show my students. Needless to say, I did not select this one as it is a camera effect and not related to the physics of the string. It would be easy to fool someone who did not know this though.

Orodruin said:
I came across this a year ago or so when I was looking for high speed camera videos of guitarr strings to show my students.

Did you find one you liked better?

bcrowell said:
Did you find one you liked better?
Well, that one does not count as finding since it is definitely not a high speed camera, but yes. I will see if I can dig it out.

It seems I used a video from Trevor Cox at Salford University. The first few seconds of this clip is the closest I can find at the moment.

Likes bcrowell

1. What is the purpose of recording a video of guitar strings from inside a guitar?

The purpose of recording a video of guitar strings from inside a guitar is to capture the unique and intricate movements of the strings as they are being played. This can provide a better visual understanding of how the vibrations from the strings travel through the instrument and produce sound.

2. How is the video of guitar strings from inside a guitar recorded?

The video is typically recorded using a small camera or smartphone that is placed inside the soundhole of the guitar. The camera is positioned to capture the movement of the strings and can be adjusted to get different angles and perspectives.

3. What can be learned from watching a video of guitar strings from inside a guitar?

By watching the video, one can learn about the mechanics of how the strings produce sound and how different playing techniques affect the movement of the strings. It can also give insight into the quality and condition of the guitar's internal components.

4. Are there any risks involved in recording a video of guitar strings from inside a guitar?

Yes, there are some risks involved, such as accidentally damaging the guitar or the camera. It is important to be careful and ensure that the camera is securely placed and will not cause any harm to the instrument.

5. Can the video of guitar strings from inside a guitar be used for educational purposes?

Yes, the video can be used for educational purposes, such as in music lessons or presentations. It can also be a useful tool for guitar makers and technicians to better understand the inner workings of the instrument.