Viewing a flame in bright light?

• Thread starter Alt-Bringer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, using a screen as your vision source may have some perception issues, and salt may be the best solution for seeing the flame in low light.
Alt-Bringer
im trying to figure out if there's a way i can see the FULL flame from my torch (MAP)
without having to be in an potentially unsafe dark environment
as yall may know MAP gas burns a very light blue<teal colour that's very hard to see in normal light levels

using the interwebs, all I am finding is some neo-paganism stuff, and checking your stove pilot light stuff,

would welding goggles work in this capacity?

my thought is no, cause goggle is made to view things that are too bright to view safely,
whereas i think the issue of viewing flames is that the basic light level is too high?

im doing "flame finishing" on wood projects, and being able to see the whole flame would be helpfull
(in analogy, its like using a paint brush, except you can't see the bristles (or the paint on them)

any thoughts? thanks much

Physics news on Phys.org
My first thought: salt the flame!

(However, I don't know if the salts has any effect on the woodwork...)

Likes ChemAir
Alt-Bringer said:
im doing "flame finishing" on wood projects, and being able to see the whole flame would be helpfull
Some kind of inexpensive IR night vision goggles might work for you, as long as you can also see the visible light too. Maybe try looking through your cell phone camera to see if it picks up enough of the IR from the flame to be helpful. Cell phone cameras typically can see in the near IR spectrum (you can see the output from your IR TV remote control, for example).

hmm... how to try this out w/o dangling a $800 phone infront of my face while playing with fire

is there perception issues using a screen as your vision source?

Alt-Bringer said:
hmm... how to try this out w/o dangling a $800 phone infront of my face while playing with fire
LOL. I'd suggest just using your phone to look at the flame first, to see if it sees more of it than you do. If so, then you can think about getting a couple cheaper phone cameras with a similar IR characteristic, and making something based on them. Something like Google Glass maybe...

aww, camera doesn't really pick up any more than the eye (moto zforce 2, or first gen galaxy tab w/ ir cut filter removed)
it only really makes what you can see have a less "ghosty" effect
doesnt pick up any better in well lit environ either

finding a way to work under lower light is probably the easiest solution,

Maybe you should really try it with salt...

Ps.: since common table salt might has some negative effect on the wood, maybe try it with borax. Nice green flame and has some anti-fungal effects.

Try Red light for the general background and workstation illumination.

1. Why does a flame appear blue in bright light?

A flame appears blue in bright light due to the presence of highly energized particles called "free radicals." These particles emit blue light as they react with oxygen in the air.

2. Can viewing a flame in bright light damage your eyes?

Yes, viewing a flame in bright light can be harmful to your eyes. The intense light can cause temporary or permanent damage to the retina, leading to vision problems.

3. Why does a flame appear to flicker in bright light?

In bright light, the air around the flame is heated up, causing it to expand and rise. As a result, the surrounding air cools and falls, creating a constant flow of air around the flame, which causes it to flicker.

4. Will the color of a flame change in different types of bright light?

Yes, the color of a flame can change depending on the type of bright light. For example, in natural sunlight, the flame may appear more yellow due to the presence of other colors in the light spectrum. In contrast, under fluorescent light, the flame may appear more blue or green.

5. How does viewing a flame in bright light help in scientific experiments?

Viewing a flame in bright light can help in scientific experiments because it allows for better observation and measurement of the flame's characteristics, such as color, intensity, and shape. This information can provide valuable insights into the chemistry and physics of the flame, aiding in research and understanding of various phenomena.