Viewing IR radiation with cell phone cameras

In summary, IR LEDs emit a weaker light than most colors in white light, and a low-power IR LED is not even enough to be detected by a camera.
hagopbul
TL;DR Summary
trying to understand how ir radiation from a remote controller is detectable by cellphone camera
Hello All:

i saw some youtube videos on testing IR controllers on normal with no add ons Cell phone camera and the cell phone screen is showing signal emitted by the IR LED of the remote controller , how the cell phone camera sensor are able to register a signal from an IR LED , the pixle in the sensor is semiconductor with a band gab corresponding for a color the IR is lower energy than most of the colors in the white light and the intensity of this IR LED is not even considered enough for any thing

i test it by my self with low power IR LED from an 5 year old remote of air conditioner and the screen of the cell phone registered or better say showed the detector blinking which i didnt understand due to the reasons i mentioned above

https://www.carolina.com/knowledge/2020/02/20/make-the-invisible-visible

Best
H.B.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The detectors on the camera are all the same silicon with color filters. Silicon is most sensitive in the infrared (around 890nm) and so all cameras have an IR block filter also. Some leaks by and the LEDs are quite bright.

• Informative
Likes hagopbul and Keith_McClary
hutchphd said:
The detectors on the camera are all the same silicon with color filters. Silicon is most sensitive in the infrared (around 890nm) and so all cameras have an IR block filter also. Some leaks by and the LEDs are quite bright.
One can also quite easily remove the IR filter from many webcam models, to build a IR head tracking system or similar.

Likes hagopbul
A reason for the introduction of IR filtration was the defeating of apparent denudation ##-## prior to then, video cameras could capture specifics (vaguely) of warm bodies through clothes.

Last edited:
Likes hagopbul
For silicone it is 1100 nm or close to that , but I wasn't aware that they use silicone in camera sensor also , I was under the impression that the semiconductor in the sensor is tuned to specific wave length the gallium and other gallium semiconductors are close to 800 nm

Every pixel in camera are composed usually of some sensors tuned for specific wave length

That why the detection of ir wavelength was just not clear

What is IR radiation and how does it relate to cell phone cameras?

IR radiation, or infrared radiation, is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is invisible to the human eye. It is emitted by all objects with a temperature above absolute zero. Cell phone cameras are able to detect IR radiation using a special filter that blocks out visible light and allows only IR light to pass through.

Can all cell phone cameras view IR radiation?

No, not all cell phone cameras have the ability to view IR radiation. Only certain models have a built-in IR filter that allows them to detect IR light. Additionally, some cell phone cameras may have the filter removed or modified to allow for IR photography.

What are the potential uses for viewing IR radiation with cell phone cameras?

One potential use for viewing IR radiation with cell phone cameras is for thermal imaging, which can be used in various industries such as construction, agriculture, and medical fields. It can also be used for detecting hidden objects, as some materials may be transparent to IR light. Additionally, it can be used for artistic purposes in photography.

Are there any safety concerns with viewing IR radiation with cell phone cameras?

There are no known safety concerns with using cell phone cameras to view IR radiation. However, it is important to note that prolonged exposure to high levels of IR radiation can be harmful to the eyes, so it is recommended to use caution and not stare directly at a strong IR light source.

Can cell phone cameras be used to view IR radiation in complete darkness?

Yes, cell phone cameras can detect IR radiation in complete darkness, as they are not dependent on visible light to capture images. This makes them useful for night vision applications. However, the strength of the IR light source and the sensitivity of the camera will affect the quality of the image.