Viewing LaTeX Formulas on the PF App: Updates and Possibilities

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of viewing formulas typed in LaTeX on the PF app. The individual mentions that they primarily use LaTeX and it can be difficult to read on the app. They ask if anyone knows if this feature will be available soon. Another individual suggests a workaround using the Taptalk app and opening the post in a browser. They also mention that it would be helpful if MathJax/LaTeX could be viewed natively on Taptalk. The first individual notes that they have an iOS device.
Nathew
Will the formulas typed in latex ever be able to be viewed on the PF app?

It is primarily what I use and many equations are quite difficult to read when written in raw latex. (The fact that I don't know latex probably doesn't help.)

Just wondering if any mentors or really anyone for that matter knew if that feature was coming to the app anytime soon?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure. But the current version leverages Taptalk.

For an Android phone:
With PF app (or Taptalk app) open on a post containing equations, click on the Android menu, then "More" (touchscreen), then "WebView" (also touchscreen). At that point the post will open up in the browser. If your Android browser supports it (most do as far as I can tell), you can see the equations.

Yeah, it would be nice if the MathJax/LaTeX came up natively in Taptalk. I'm just saying that it possible to see the LaTeX using this workaround.

Last edited:
Also, I have an iOS device if that changes anything.

1. What is the PF App and how does it relate to LaTeX formulas?

The PF App is a mobile application that allows users to access and view content from the Physics Forums website. It currently supports viewing LaTeX formulas, which are mathematical equations written in a specific markup language.

2. What updates have been made to the PF App for viewing LaTeX formulas?

The PF App has recently been updated to improve the rendering of LaTeX formulas and to include additional features such as zooming and scrolling within the formulas. These updates aim to provide a better viewing experience for users.

3. Can the PF App support creating and editing LaTeX formulas?

Currently, the PF App does not have the capability to create or edit LaTeX formulas. It is primarily designed for viewing and accessing content from the Physics Forums website. However, there may be future updates that include this functionality.

4. Are there any limitations to viewing LaTeX formulas on the PF App?

While the PF App strives to provide a seamless viewing experience for LaTeX formulas, there may be some limitations depending on the complexity of the formula and the capabilities of the user's device. In some cases, the formula may appear slightly different than it does on the website.

5. Are there any future possibilities for viewing LaTeX formulas on the PF App?

The developers of the PF App are constantly working to improve the app and provide new features for users. It is possible that in the future, the app may support creating and editing LaTeX formulas, as well as additional formatting options for viewing formulas. However, these possibilities are subject to change and may depend on user feedback and demand.