Violet light refraction from air to glass

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of various properties related to a ray of violet light entering a 60° glass prism at an angle of incidence of 40°. These properties include the angle of refraction for the air-glass boundary, the critical angle for violet light leaving the glass, and the velocity of the violet light in the prism. The equation n=sin(i°)/sin(r°) is used to calculate these properties, with n representing the refractive index of the prism material for violet light. However, since n is larger than 1, the calculation for the angle of refraction requires taking the inverse of n.
batcave1985
A ray of violet light enters a 60° glass prism at an angle of incidence of 40°. If the refractive
index of the prism material for violet light is 1.651

calculate:

(a) The angle of refraction for the air-glass boundary

(b) The critical angle for violet leaving the glass

(c) The velocity of the violet light in the prism

any help would be great.

at the moment I am on a)

i know that n=sin(i°)/sin(r°)

the wavelength of light is n=λair/λmedium( violet light)
= 1/1.651 = 0.6

sin(r)=sin(60)/0.6 = 1.4 but when i try to get the angle i get nothing.

Physics news on Phys.org
n=sin(i°)/sin(r°)
n is larger than 1, so sin(r°) has to be smaller than sin(i°).
Why did you take the inverse of n in your calculation?

1. What is refraction of light?

Refraction of light is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air and glass. This occurs due to a change in the speed of light as it travels through different substances.

2. How does violet light refract from air to glass?

Violet light refracts from air to glass in the same way as any other color of light. It enters the glass at an angle and is bent towards the normal, or the line perpendicular to the surface of the glass. The amount of bending depends on the refractive index of the glass and the angle at which the light enters.

3. Why does violet light refract more than other colors?

Violet light has a shorter wavelength compared to other colors of light, which means it has a higher frequency and energy. This allows it to interact more with the molecules in the glass, causing it to refract more than other colors.

4. Can the refraction of violet light be controlled?

Yes, the refraction of violet light can be controlled by using different materials with varying refractive indexes. This is the principle behind lenses and prisms, which are used in various optical devices to manipulate the direction of light.

5. How does refraction of violet light affect vision?

The refraction of violet light, along with other colors, is essential for proper vision. The eye's lens and cornea refract light to focus it on the retina, allowing us to see objects clearly. Without refraction, the image formed on the retina would be blurry and distorted.