Virtual Particles and nothingness

In summary, the concept of virtual particles emerging from and disappearing back into empty space is a common misconception. These particles actually exist as fluctuations in underlying quantum fields and do not come from nowhere. I suggest reading the provided article and series for a better understanding of virtual particles.
AnimaLife
According to what I have read and watched (I am new to the subject) the empty space is actually full of temporary virtual particulars that spontaneously and continuously emerge from nowhere and then disappear from the nothingness again but from where comes so much energy for so much creation of matter spontaneous?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AnimaLife said:
According to what I have read and watched (I am new to the subject) the empty space is actually full of temporary virtual particulars that spontaneously and continuously emerge from nowhere and then disappear from the nothingness again but from where comes so much energy for so much creation of matter spontaneous?
I seems you have some basic misunderstandings here, probably caused by light weight pop science. Here is an article about it, which should answer most of your questions: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/misconceptions-virtual-particles/

A forum search for "virtual, particles" should also result in plenty of existing threads you could read.

Likes bhobba
AnimaLife said:

I wouldn't say they come from 'nowhere' and then disappear into 'nothingness'. They exist as fluctuations in the underlying quantum fields that extend throughout space. Here's a good link for more information on virtual particles: https://profmattstrassler.com/artic...ysics-basics/virtual-particles-what-are-they/

I HIGHLY recommend reading the entire series on particle physics basics as well, otherwise the above information may not make much sense.

@Drakkith Thanks for the link - very clear stuff.

1. What are virtual particles?

Virtual particles are subatomic particles that are thought to exist momentarily in a vacuum as a result of fluctuations in energy. They are not considered to be physical particles, but rather mathematical concepts used in quantum field theory to explain certain phenomena.

2. How are virtual particles related to nothingness?

The concept of nothingness in physics is often associated with a vacuum, which is not actually empty but contains virtual particles. These particles are constantly popping in and out of existence in the vacuum, making it not truly empty.

3. Can virtual particles be observed?

No, virtual particles cannot be observed directly. They are only detected indirectly through their effects on other particles and interactions in quantum mechanics.

4. What role do virtual particles play in the universe?

Virtual particles play a crucial role in many fundamental processes in the universe, such as the decay of particles and the behavior of electromagnetic fields. They also contribute to the stability of matter and the properties of atoms.

5. Can virtual particles be manipulated or controlled?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate or control virtual particles. Their existence and behavior are governed by the laws of quantum mechanics, which are still not fully understood. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology may lead to new ways to study and possibly manipulate virtual particles in the future.