Virtual work = 0 implies net torque = 0

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate virtual displacement and virtual work in the context of a rotating body using equations such as ## \vec \tau = \Sigma \vec r_i \times \vec F_i ## and ## \delta W = \Sigma F_i \delta x_i ##. It is also mentioned that the sum of forces can be zero but there can still be a net torque on the system, and that the ## \delta W ## from any torques must also be zero for equilibrium.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2018-3-24_14-16-33.png

Homework Equations

upload_2018-3-24_14-17-10.png
upload_2018-3-24_14-17-29.png

## \vec \tau = \Sigma \vec r_i \times \vec F_i ##

The Attempt at a Solution

## \vec \tau = \Sigma \vec r_i \times \vec F_i ##

## \delta W = \Sigma F_i \delta x_i ##

Let's take our Cartesian coordinate system such that the axis of rotation becomes its z-axis.

Let's say that the body rotates through an angle ##\theta## so that the displacement ## \vec dx_i = \vec \theta \times \vec r_i ##.

Now, how to calculate virtual displacement?

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-24_14-16-33.png
    upload_2018-3-24_14-16-33.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 777
  • upload_2018-3-24_14-17-10.png
    upload_2018-3-24_14-17-10.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 768
  • upload_2018-3-24_14-17-29.png
    upload_2018-3-24_14-17-29.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 780
Physics news on Phys.org
This is one that is outside of my area of expertise, but I think you can use a generalized type of coordinate and then write it as ## dW=\tau \, d \theta ## where ## \tau ## is a torque. In more detail, as vectors, it may read ## dW=\vec{\tau} \cdot d \vec{\theta} ## , where ## \vec{\theta }## is along the axis of rotation.

Pushoam said:
Let's say that the body rotates through an angle ##\theta## so that the displacement ## \vec dx_i = \vec \theta \times \vec r_i ##.
Now, how to calculate virtual displacement?
Your equation ## \vec dx_i = \vec \theta \times \vec r_i ## is essentially what you need. Imagine the particles of the body undergo virtual displacements corresponding to a virtual rotation ##\delta \theta \, \hat \theta## of the body. What is the corresponding virtual displacement ##\vec {\delta r_i}## of the ##i##th particle?

Note that the virtual work can be written as ##\delta W = \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^N \vec {F_i} \cdot \vec {\delta r_i} ##

In writing dxi = theta x ri you are equating a differential quantity with a finite quantity. This cannot be correct.

Instead, write dx = d(theta) x ri, where ri is constant for for each particle.

Likes Charles Link
It is perhaps worth mentioning that the sum of the forces on a body or system can add to zero, and there can still be a net torque on the system. (For example, two forces of equal magnitude in opposite directions can both be applying a torque in the same direction). Thereby the system is then not at equilibrium, but can be undergoing a change in its angular momentum and rotational energy. The ## \delta W ## from any torques needs to be zero as well to have equilibrium.

Charles Link said:
It is perhaps worth mentioning that the sum of the forces on a body or system can add to zero, and there can still be a net torque on the system.

This is most certainly true.

Likes Charles Link

Related to Virtual work = 0 implies net torque = 0

1. What is virtual work and how is it related to net torque?

Virtual work is the work done by a virtual displacement in a system. When virtual work is equal to 0, it implies that there is no change in the system's energy. This also means that there is no net torque acting on the system, as torque is a measure of rotational work.

2. Why does virtual work = 0 imply net torque = 0?

Virtual work is calculated by taking the dot product of the virtual displacement and the force acting on it. In the case of rotational motion, the virtual displacement is perpendicular to the force, resulting in a dot product of 0. This means that no work is being done, and therefore, there is no net torque.

3. How is virtual work = 0 used in mechanical systems?

In mechanical systems, virtual work = 0 is used to analyze the equilibrium of the system. By setting the virtual work to 0, we can determine the forces and torques acting on the system and ensure that it is in a state of equilibrium.

4. Can virtual work = 0 be applied to all systems?

Yes, virtual work = 0 can be applied to all systems, as long as the system is in a state of equilibrium. This means that the forces and torques acting on the system are balanced, resulting in no change in energy.

5. What are the limitations of using virtual work = 0 to analyze systems?

The main limitation of using virtual work = 0 is that it only applies to systems in a state of equilibrium. If the system is not in equilibrium, virtual work cannot be used to analyze it. Additionally, virtual work does not take into account factors such as friction or external forces, which may affect the system's behavior.