Virtual work (internal = external)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that for a beam with hinged supports on both ends, the virtual work of internal forces is equal to the virtual work of external forces when subjected to bending due to a uniformly distributed load. The given parameters include the length of the beam (L), uniformly distributed load (P = constant), Young's modulus (E), and second moment of area (I). The equations used are the virtual work equations for internal and external forces, and the solution involves simplifying the first equation and possibly neglecting the shear stress term in order to find the virtual work of internal forces. The poster is unsure about how to approach the problem and is seeking suggestions and guidance.
disclaimer

Homework Statement

How can one show/prove that for a beam (hinged supports on both ends) subjected to bending due to a uniformly distributed load over its entire length, the virtual work of internal forces is equal to the virtual work of external forces? Given are the length of the beam (L), uniformly distributed load (P = constant), Young's modulus (E), and second moment of area (I).
diagram_ss_uniform_1s.gif

Homework Equations

[/B](I guess)
[tex]\delta W_{in}={\int_{V}^{}}\delta \tilde{\varepsilon} ^T\tilde{\sigma} dV[/tex] and [tex]\delta W_{ex}={\int_{V}^{}}\delta \tilde{u} ^T\tilde{\textbf{f}} dV+{\int_{S}^{}}\delta \tilde{u} ^T\tilde{\textbf{t}} dS[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that in this particular case the first equation can be simplified to
[tex]W_{in}={\int_{V}^{}}(\sigma_x\tilde{\varepsilon}_x+\tau_{xy}\tilde{\gamma}_{xy})dV[/tex]
Can the shear stress (τxy) be neglected here? If so, we would get
[tex]W_{in}={\int_{V}^{}}(\sigma_x\tilde{\varepsilon}_x)dV[/tex]
I'm not sure what I should do with the other equation. Am I even approaching this correctly? If not, what are the right steps to follow? Any suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. What is virtual work?

Virtual work is a concept in physics and engineering that describes the work done on a system by virtual displacements, which are small and hypothetical changes in the system's configuration. It is often used in the analysis of mechanical systems and structures.

2. How does virtual work differ from traditional work?

Traditional work involves the physical movement of an object due to the application of a force. Virtual work, on the other hand, is calculated using hypothetical changes in the system's configuration, without any physical movement actually occurring.

3. What is the significance of virtual work?

Virtual work allows for the analysis of complex systems and structures by breaking them down into simpler components. It also helps in determining equilibrium conditions and predicting the behavior of the system under different loads and constraints.

4. What is the relationship between internal and external virtual work?

Internal virtual work refers to the work done by internal forces within a system, while external virtual work refers to the work done by external forces on the system. The two are related through the principle of virtual work, which states that the sum of internal and external virtual work must be equal to zero for a system to be in equilibrium.

5. How is virtual work used in real-world applications?

Virtual work has numerous applications in engineering, such as in the design and analysis of structures, machines, and other mechanical systems. It is also used in fields such as robotics, biomechanics, and aerospace engineering to predict the behavior and performance of complex systems.