Visualizing Data in Linux: Recommendations Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of originLab in research and the difficulty of finding a similar program for Linux. The speaker asks for recommendations for a plotter that works well with Linux and mentions various options such as xmgrace, gnuplot, and programs like Euler, Maxima, Octave, Scilab, Freemat, Asymptote, and Python/matplotlib. They also suggest using a combination of programs as a substitute for environments like Matlab.
ilvreth
Hi to all!

I need your opinion about something simple.
All we know that in research "industry", in order to visualize their results, they extensively use originLab. Someone told me that "if you want to be called a researcher, then you have to learn origin...".

Ok, fine. But I am a Linux user and I do not want to switch back to Windows. Origin is not written for Linux or other unix-like operating system.

I am currently using for my plots, a program called "xmgrace" for linux. I have also tried an other one which is called gnuplot but both of them are "life-wasters" and difficult to manipulate especially when you are typing in english and greek (for mathematical symbols inside the graph).

Would you please give me some recommentation for a (cutting-edge) plotter which works well with linux?? I do not say that originlab is good, but if there is something good for linux then I would not say no for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on what kind of graphs/plots you are interested, it may be that one program is more tailor towards that than other...you may have to read a bit about each and find out which one fits your needs.

If you have, say, Ubuntu, you may want to go to the Software center or whatever is called (I haven't done Ubuntu in a while)...browse to the scientific or engineering categories look for stuff there...things like:

Euler
Maxima
Octave
Scilab
Freemat

You can also read up on

Asymptote

Having said that, there is always

Python/matplotlib (this is what I use)

combination which can be used to substitute for environments like matlab, freemat, etc.

1. What are some recommended tools for visualizing data in Linux?

Some commonly recommended tools for visualizing data in Linux include GNU Octave, RStudio, matplotlib, and Gephi.

2. How can I create interactive data visualizations in Linux?

You can create interactive data visualizations in Linux by using tools like d3.js, Plotly, or Bokeh. These tools allow you to create dynamic and interactive visualizations that can be embedded in web pages or shared online.

3. Are there any open-source options for visualizing data in Linux?

Yes, there are many open-source options for visualizing data in Linux. Some popular ones include GNU Octave, RStudio, and Gephi.

4. Can I use Python for data visualization in Linux?

Yes, you can use Python for data visualization in Linux. There are many Python libraries available for data visualization, such as matplotlib, seaborn, and plotly.

5. How can I create professional-looking data visualizations in Linux?

To create professional-looking data visualizations in Linux, you can use tools like Inkscape or GIMP to enhance your visualizations with custom graphics and design elements. Additionally, using color schemes and following design principles can also help make your visualizations look more professional.