Visualizing seven extra dimensions

In summary, a sculptor looking for information on sting/M-theory described a possible shape for the 7 compact extra dimensions which involves 3 curled up dimensions surrounding another 3, separated by a straw-like dimension. They are interested in creating a representation of this shape for their next project and are asking for any information or references related to it. However, the actual shape for the extra dimensions in M-theory is a Calabi-Yau manifold or a G2-manifold, which is different from their description.
shatteredligh
Hi, I am a sculptor working with glass. I have come to this forum for some information.

Several years ago I read an article on sting/M-theory that gave a description of one of the possible shapes the the 7 compact extra dimensions of m-theory. I have been unable to find the article again. I shall do my best to remember the description.

It was something like: 3 curled up dimensions surrounding another 3 curled up dimensions somewhat like a russian doll. These two "sets" of dimensions are somehow separated yet a strange straw-like dimension stretches between between these two "sets", making a total of seven extra compact dimension rolled up into a plank sized nugget.

Does this mean anything to anyone.
I am interested to make my next project a representation of this preposed shape.

I would appreciate any information, the name of this structure, web references etc.

I am also curious as to how a straw like dimension could represent only one dimension.

Thanks Dave.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Visualizing seven extra dimensions

1. What are the seven extra dimensions in visualizing seven extra dimensions?

The seven extra dimensions refer to hypothetical spatial dimensions beyond the three dimensions (length, width, and height) that we experience in our everyday lives, and the four dimensions (including time) that are described in the theory of relativity. These extra dimensions are not observable or measurable in our physical reality, but they are predicted by certain theories, such as string theory and M-theory.

2. How can we visualize something that is beyond our physical reality?

Visualizing seven extra dimensions is a concept that challenges our understanding of the world and requires us to think beyond what we can physically observe. Scientists use mathematical models and simulations to help visualize these dimensions and understand their properties.

3. What implications do these extra dimensions have on our understanding of the universe?

The existence of extra dimensions could help explain some of the mysteries of the universe, such as dark matter and dark energy. These dimensions could also provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces of nature and the origins of the universe.

4. Can we ever prove the existence of these extra dimensions?

Currently, there is no direct evidence or experimental proof of the existence of extra dimensions. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology, such as particle accelerators, may provide the means to detect and study these dimensions in the future.

5. How does visualizing seven extra dimensions impact our daily lives?

Although the concept of extra dimensions may seem abstract and distant from our everyday lives, the study of these dimensions could lead to groundbreaking technological advancements and a deeper understanding of the universe. Additionally, the process of visualizing and conceptualizing these dimensions challenges our minds and expands our thinking, which can have a positive impact on our overall cognitive abilities.