Voltage across a bulb affects power output

In summary, changing the voltage across a bulb affects its power output, as power is proportional to V^2. This relationship can be understood through Ohm's Law and its different equations. However, it should be noted that the resistance of the bulb may not always be constant.
gracep

Homework Statement

I'm studying for my GCSE exam and I need to know how changing the voltage across a bulb affect it's power output for my secondary evidence, i have searched the internet for the answer but can't find anything. Anyone know how it affects it OR any useful websites to use? thankyou.

Homework Equations

P=VxI

The Attempt at a Solution

I have wrote that the bigger the voltage going into the bulb, the more the power output will be because P=VxI but I need to write more? thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi gracep. You can write 3 "different" recipes for the power output:

[itex]P=V\cdot I[/itex]
[itex]P=I^2\cdot R[/itex]
[itex]P=V^2/R[/itex]

These 3 things are all related through Ohm's Law.

What you need is something that relates voltage and power and where everything else in the equation is a constant.

So, it depends on the problem you have. If you have a constant intensity you would use the first relation. If you have a constant resistance (wich is probably the more common situation), then you want to use the third relation.

From that you can easily see how the power behaves when changing voltage.

What he said..

Rather than mentioning P=IV, I would point out that the power is proportional to V2.

That's because increasing V also increases I. It would be so better to rearrange the equation given using Ohms Law...

Ohms Law..
V=IR
so
I=V/R

You were given P=IV so substitute for I giving

P=V2/R

Hence power is proportional to V2.

I supose you might get an extra mark for pointing out that R might not be constant. It might vary with temperature.

Related to Voltage across a bulb affects power output

1. How does the voltage across a bulb affect its power output?

The power output of a bulb is directly proportional to the voltage across it. This means that as the voltage increases, the power output also increases.

2. What is the relationship between voltage and power in a bulb?

The relationship between voltage and power in a bulb is linear. This means that if the voltage is doubled, the power output will also double.

3. Can a change in voltage affect the brightness of a bulb?

Yes, a change in voltage can affect the brightness of a bulb. As the voltage increases, the bulb will emit more light and appear brighter.

4. Is there a limit to how much the voltage can affect the power output of a bulb?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the voltage can affect the power output of a bulb. Once the voltage reaches a certain point, the power output will remain constant even if the voltage continues to increase.

5. How does the voltage affect the lifespan of a bulb?

The voltage can affect the lifespan of a bulb. If the voltage is too high, it can cause the bulb to burn out faster. On the other hand, if the voltage is too low, the bulb may not reach its full brightness potential and may also have a shorter lifespan.