Voltage at Vab, balancing, Increasing

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of Vab in a circuit with resistors R1=350 Ohms, R2=120 Ohms, R3=124 Ohms, and R4=350 Ohms, with A between R1 and R4 and B between R2 and R3. The equations Va=Vs R4(R1+R4), Vb=Vs R3/(R2+R3), and Vab=Vb-Va are used to find the value of Vab, which is 1.8 V. To balance the circuit, resistors R4, R2, and R1 need to be replaced with values of 362 Ohms, 124 Ohms,
talaroue

Homework Statement

Statics2-1.jpg

R1=350 Ohms
R2=120 Ohms
R3=124 Ohms
R4=350 Ohms
A is between R1 and R4, while B is between R2 and R3. SORRY FOR NOT HAVING IT IN THE PICTURE
For the following circuit what is Vab? Now balance the circuit so Vab=0. After balancing what are the values of a shunt resistor which would increase Vab by 2.75% ( a shunt resistor is a resistor which is placed in parallel to another resistor in order to change its value.)

Homework Equations

Va=Vs R4(R1+R4)
Vb=Vs R3/(R2+R3)
Vab=Vb=Va

The Attempt at a Solution

So I basically have three parts to this problem. Find the value of Vab, then balance it, then increase it.

for the the first part to find the value of Vab

I just plug and chug for the above equations and got Va=2.5 V Vb=4.31 Vab=4.31-2.5=1.8 V that wasn't the hard part the hard part is that we didn't go over excatly how to do this but I found an example in the book but it just doesn't make since how to do the next two parts here is my work...if someone could do to things, tell me if I am right, and why! Because in physics its not really getting the right number it is why.

Balancing

R4=Rx
Rx=R1*R3/R2=(350*124)/120=362 Ohms

R2=Rx
Rx=R1*R3/R4=124 Ohms

R1=RX
RX=R2*R4/R3=339 Ohms

is that all I have to do? I realized that R3=Rx would be the same as R2 so i didn't think i had to change it but then I don't know what to do after that if there is another step.

THIRD PART increase Vab by 2.75%

I have no idea it has work but it doesn't make sense where it comes from can someone explain to me how to do this part

I AM HORRIBLE WITH CIRCUITS! I AM CIVIL NOT ELECTRICAL

Physics news on Phys.org
any help would be awesome!

Dear student,

It seems like you are on the right track with finding the value of Vab and balancing the circuit. However, I would like to clarify a few things to ensure that you have a complete understanding of the problem.

Firstly, in order to find Vab, you have correctly used the equations Va=Vs R4/(R1+R4) and Vb=Vs R3/(R2+R3). However, it seems like you have made a mistake in your calculation for Vb. It should be Vb=Vs R3/(R2+R3) = 2.5*(124/(120+124)) = 2.44 V. Therefore, Vab=Vb-Va = 2.44-2.5 = -0.06 V. This means that Vab is actually negative, indicating that the direction of current flow is from B to A.

Now, for balancing the circuit, the goal is to make the voltage at point A (Va) equal to the voltage at point B (Vb). This is achieved by making the resistance on either side of the circuit equal. In your attempt, you have correctly identified that R4 should be equal to Rx, and R2 should be equal to Rx. However, for R1, you have used the wrong equation. The correct equation for R1 should be R1=Rx*R3/R4=(362*124)/350=128.8 Ohms. Similarly, for R3, the correct equation is R3=Rx*R2/R1=(362*120)/128.8=337.8 Ohms. Therefore, the balanced circuit will have the following resistances: R1=128.8 Ohms, R2=362 Ohms, R3=337.8 Ohms, R4=362 Ohms.

For the third part, increasing Vab by 2.75%, you can use the equation Vab = Vb-Va = 2.5*(124/(120+124)) - 2.5*(128.8/(128.8+362)) = -0.06 V. In order to increase Vab by 2.75%, you would need to add a shunt resistor in parallel to R1. The equation for calculating the value of the shunt resistor is given by Vab = Vb-Va = 2.5*(124/(120+124))

Related to Voltage at Vab, balancing, Increasing

What is "Voltage at Vab"?

Voltage at Vab refers to the voltage difference between points V and B in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the potential energy difference between the two points.

How does balancing affect voltage at Vab?

Balancing a circuit involves adjusting the values of resistors or other components to ensure that the voltage at Vab is equal to 0. This helps to evenly distribute voltage and prevent overloading of certain components.

Why is it important to balance voltage at Vab?

Balancing the voltage at Vab is important to avoid damaging components in a circuit. If there is a significant voltage difference between V and B, it can cause excess current to flow through certain components, potentially leading to overheating and failure.

What happens if voltage at Vab is increased?

If the voltage at Vab is increased, it can lead to an increase in the current flowing through the circuit. This can potentially overload components and cause damage. It is important to carefully monitor and control voltage levels in a circuit.

How can one increase voltage at Vab?

Voltage at Vab can be increased by adjusting the power supply or adding additional voltage sources in the circuit. However, this should be done carefully and with consideration of the overall circuit design to prevent damage to components.