Voltage drop and transformer improvement

In summary: MW - I2RSo you can use P=VI to calculate the power at the factory. But you can also use P=I2R provided you know the current and resistance of the cable. In this case I2R represents the power lost. To calculate the efficiency you need to use P=VI, P=I2R and conservation of energy.The efficiency of the cable is (power delivered to factory)/(power generated)The efficiency of the plant and cable is (power delivered to factory)/(power generated) = (power delivered to factory)/(power delivered to factory + power lost in cable) = 1/(1 + (power lost in cable)/(power delivered to factory))In summary
AstroJMT42

Homework Statement

Power station produces AC power at 2.5Mw, I = 100A.
Transferred along 100km line with a resistance of 50 ohms to a factory. Calculate power lost and % efficiency

Homework Equations

P=VI
P = I2R

The Attempt at a Solution

Initial power at the station is 2.5x106 . Using I2R you get new power at the factory of 1002x50 = 5x105W

This means a total loss of 2x105 and a percentage of 8%.

I'm pretty confident this is correct but a fellow student is adamant that I2R is power loss not total power out. His conclusion is that the line is actually 80% efficient, which sounds way to efficient to be correct, especially seeing as there are no transformers. Can anyone please confirm which of us is correct?

second part then takes the same original power and introduces a 1:5 step up transformer and 5:1 step down and asks to calculate the new power loss and new efficiency.

I worked initial V = 25,000 and after step up V = 125,000
New power after this using I2R is 2,480,000W which I calculated to be an efficiency of 99.2%
Again could you please check my logic is sound? There were no answers given.

Apologies it is actually 2 questions being asked but the second one leads directly from the first so thought it was best to keep it in one post.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your calculations. ## 2.5 \ 10^6 - 5 \ 10^5 = 2 \ 10^5 ## ?
Is the 50 ##\Omega## the resistance of the load in the plant or is it the resistance of the power cables ? So is it the useful power or the lost power ?

50 Ω is the resistance in the cable.

2,500,000W originally - 500,000 = 2,000,000W sorry that was a silly arithmetic error.

So that makes 500,000 / 2,500,000 x 100 = 20%?

Efficiency is useful power divided by input power. So: No.

Fellow student wins the argument.

Funny enouh you do have the right efficiency for the transformers in place case. Note the factor with which the loss is reduced!

So I squared R is is the power loss, not the new power?

I think this is where my misunderstanding is coming from. I thought P=VI and P=I2R were interchangeable. We were given original power and had to use P=I2R to find what the power is after traveling down the line. divide this output power by the original and multiply by 100 to get the percentage.
Which part of that am I getting wrong? it's been a long day...

AstroJMT42 said:
So I squared R is is the power loss, not the new power?

It depends which R you are talking about? The resistance of the cable or the load (aka the factory)?

If R is the resistance of the cable then I2R is the power dissipated (lost) in the cable.
If R is the resistance of the load (eg the equivalent resistance of the factory) then I2R is the power dissipated (used) by the factory.

I think this is where my misunderstanding is coming from. I thought P=VI and P=I2R were interchangeable.

In general they are. Provided you are talking about the right V, I and R.

We were given original power and had to use P=I2R to find what the power is after traveling down the line. divide this output power by the original and multiply by 100 to get the percentage.

Apply conservation of energy eg..

Power delivered to factory = Power generated - power lost in the cable.

1. What is voltage drop and why does it occur?

Voltage drop is the decrease in voltage that occurs as electricity flows through a conductor. It happens because of the resistance of the conductor, which converts some of the electrical energy into heat.

2. How can I calculate voltage drop in a circuit?

Voltage drop can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R) of the conductor. The formula is V = I x R.

3. How does a transformer improve voltage drop?

A transformer is a device that can increase or decrease the voltage of an electrical circuit. It works by using electromagnetic induction to transfer energy between two or more circuits. By stepping up or stepping down the voltage, a transformer can improve voltage drop in a circuit.

4. What are some common causes of voltage drop in a transformer?

Some common causes of voltage drop in a transformer include high electrical loads, damaged or faulty wiring, and long distances between the transformer and the load. Poor connections and inadequate insulation can also contribute to voltage drop.

5. How can I improve voltage drop in a transformer?

To improve voltage drop in a transformer, you can use thicker wires with lower resistance, reduce the length of the wire, or increase the number of windings on the transformer. Proper maintenance and regular inspections can also help prevent or identify any issues that may be causing voltage drop.