Voltage gradient distortion in Copper when part is over a magnet

In summary: Yes, but if you can get a wafer with a lot of ##SiO_2## on the surface, that might be more resistant.
Dc2LightTech
TL;DR Summary
will the Current in a thin sheet of copper be distorted as it passes over a strong magnet.
I am working with HS students on measuring Current Gradients in Copper for their science project " Current Gradients in the human body during surgical cauterization". Next year I was thing of putting a thin sheet of
Copper over strong magnets and using the Voltage gradient to draw the Current path. So, in a static setup with 5 Amps flowing through 1'x1' sheet of Copper with half of it placed of magnets will the Current path be distorted?

Attachments

• copper.jpg
    copper.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 55
Physics news on Phys.org
Dc2LightTech said:
TL;DR Summary: will the Current in a thin sheet of copper be distorted as it passes over a strong magnet.

in a static setup with 5 Amps flowing through 1'x1' sheet of Copper with half of it placed of magnets will the Current path be distorted?
Yes. But Cu is so conductive that it won't generate much voltage. That will be a very difficult measurement. Try to use a material that is resistive. Even then this is a difficult experiment, I think.

Check out "Hall Effect".

Last edited:
in the picture I posted for voltage gradients, I have 4 amps at .2volts in the cu plate, would the gradient be distorted by neodymium magnets if only on the right side. I would buy them if it would be measurable difference.

DaveE said:
Yes. But Cu is so conductive that it won't generate much voltage.
Agreed.

So I was thinking about how to try to set up an experiment like this, and I agree that a more resistive material than Cu may work. I'm not sure what material to recommend (ESD foam is probably too resistive...), and it's labor intensive to solder together an x-y network of 1 Ohm resistors... If you could find a somewhat more resistive material than Cu, you might be able to use thermal imaging to see how the sheet of material was heating up from the current distribution. There are some pretty useful USB IR camera adapters that work with cellphones, for example:

1670547528829.png

https://www.flir.com/products/flir-one-gen-3/

One variation that I thought of might be fun, but I don't know if it would work. Perhaps if you set up a vertical water tank that was thin (maybe 0.5cm between the vertical Lexan plates) and make the fluid relatively conductive and set up a uniform bubble source at the bottom (with a voltage applied between the bottom and top of the tank to generate a vertical current parallel with the bubbles), you could play around with deflecting the up-traveling bubbles with a magnet that you hold up to the Lexan window. I'm not sure if it would work, so I need to think about it a bit more... :smile:

Last edited:
Maybe buy a big silicon wafer on ebay?

What about resistance paper (Teledeltos) used for plotting currents.

Likes DaveE
You'll also do better with an electromagnet and a big core to both generate a strong field and direct it to a large surface area.

How about using a fluid rather than a solid? The idea is to see the deflections visually rather than measure voltage differences. This video may be analogous.

DaveE said:
Maybe buy a big silicon wafer on ebay?
But won't it usually be passivated by ##SiO_2##?

1. What is voltage gradient distortion in copper?

Voltage gradient distortion in copper refers to the phenomenon where the voltage gradient in a copper material is altered when it is placed over a magnet. This can lead to changes in the electrical properties of the material.

2. How does a magnet affect the voltage gradient in copper?

A magnet creates a magnetic field around it, which can interact with the electrons in a copper material. This interaction can cause the electrons to move in a non-uniform manner, resulting in a distorted voltage gradient.

3. What factors can contribute to voltage gradient distortion in copper?

There are several factors that can contribute to voltage gradient distortion in copper, such as the strength of the magnetic field, the distance between the magnet and the copper material, and the orientation of the magnet in relation to the copper.

4. Is voltage gradient distortion in copper reversible?

In most cases, voltage gradient distortion in copper is reversible. Once the magnetic field is removed, the electrons in the copper material will return to their normal state and the voltage gradient will be restored.

5. How can voltage gradient distortion in copper be minimized?

To minimize voltage gradient distortion in copper, the material can be shielded from the magnetic field by using non-magnetic materials or by increasing the distance between the magnet and the copper. Additionally, using thicker copper materials can also help reduce the effects of voltage gradient distortion.