Voltage in a simple circuit (MITx 6.002, Circuits and Electronics)

• Thread starter zenterix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the problem is that there is a contradiction between what is stated and what is shown in the question. Joe measured the difference ##V_{1,+}-V_{1,-}=1.4V## and then ##V_{2,+}-V_{2,-}=0.8999999V##. However, if current is flowing clockwise, then shouldn't we have ##V_{2,+}-V_{2,-}=-0.8999999V##? And if the current is counterclockwise, then shouldn't we have ##V_{1,+}-V_{1,-}=-1.4V##? So, the problem statement is incorrect
zenterix
Homework Statement
Joe was debugging part of an experimental apparatus, probing around with his voltmeter. Part of the apparatus had two obvious resistors in series with an unknown element, as shown in the diagram below:
Relevant Equations
The unknown element is hard to reach, so Joe put the negative (black) probe of his voltmeter at the interconnection of the two obvious resistors and then put the positive (red) probe at the other end of each resistor, measuring ##v_1=1.4V## and ##V_2=0.89999999V##.

What is the voltage ##v_3## measured across the unknown element?
1688750702413.png

It seems that in this example Joe measured the difference ##V_{1,+}-V_{1,-}=1.4V## and then ##V_{2,+}-V_{2,-}=0.8999999V##.

Shouldn't one of these be negative? That is if current is flowing clockwise, then shouldn't we have
##V_{2,+}-V_{2,-}=-0.8999999V##? And if the current is counterclockwise, then shouldn't we have ##V_{1,+}-V_{1,-}=-1.4V##?

The answer to the problem is apparently ##0.5V##. I assume this comes from ##1.4V-0.8999999V##.

The answer I originally came up with was ##-2.3V##, since I assumed that the voltage across the resistors were both of same sign, so I added them.

I think I have a good grasp of all the concepts here, but either 1) I don't or 2) the problem is somehow stated in a way that is ambiguous or incorrect.

I'm looking for someone to tell me which one it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
How could both of those voltages measured with the DVM be positive? That makes no physical sense, IMO.

berkeman said:
How could both of those voltages measured with the DVM be positive? That makes no physical sense, IMO.
So would you say the problem statement is incorrect?

zenterix said:
If the two resistors are obviously in series and there is a measured voltage across each one of them, the current in each resistor is the same and flowing in the same direction. This means that the point between the two resistors must be at an intermediate potential between the ends.

I would say that the problem statement is not self-consistent. Something has to give.

Likes berkeman
zenterix said:
As you wrote it, yes, I think it's non-physical (violates the continuity equation for charge flow). Are you sure you copied it word-for-word? Can you upload a screenshot of the question? (use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window)

berkeman said:
As you wrote it, yes, I think it's non-physical (violates the continuity equation for charge flow). Are you sure you copied it word-for-word? Can you upload a screenshot of the question? (use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window)
1688753744499.png

Yeah, that's a problematic question. Two red flags: 1) The guy with the DVM is named "Joe", and 2) The problem is worth zero points. Watch out for those red flags in your future schoolwork... :wink:

Likes zenterix, phinds, MatinSAR and 2 others
Additional red flag: ##v_2=0.8999999999999999 ~##V. It seems that Joe's voltmeter is very precise but, as far as accuracy is concerned, it sucks . One thing I don't understand is why 0.5 V is given as the correct answer.

Likes zenterix, berkeman and MatinSAR
kuruman said:
Additional red flag: ##v_2=0.8999999999999999 ~##V. It seems that Joe's voltmeter is very precise
And very wide!

A poor question, as already noted.

Possibly the intention of the question is this:

The upper and lower resistors (##R_1## and ##R_2##) and the unknown component (##X##) are the only components in the loop.

However, although the question says these components are in ‘in series’, I’m guessing this is a silly mistake.

The ‘loop’ shown could be part of a larger circuit which isn’t shown. Arguably, this is implied in the Homework Statement by the phrase 'part of the apparatus'. For example there could be connections to other parts of the apparatus between ##R_1## and ##R_2##, between ##R_1## and ##X## and between ##R_2## and ##X##. So, the 3 components don’t necessarily carry the same current.

On this basis, the question is trivial - which maybe is why it carries no marks

For convenience, take the junction between ##R_1## and ##R_2## as 0V.

The potential at the top of ##R_1##, and hence at the top of ##X## is ##1.4V##.

The potential at the bottom of ##R_2##, and hence at the bottom of ##X## is ##0.9V##.

The p.d. (ignoring any sign issues) across ##X## is therefore ##V_3 = 1.4V - 0.9V = 0.5V## as required.

Likes zenterix, MatinSAR and berkeman
Steve4Physics said:
And very wide!
(Joe was using it in Landscape mode...) :wink:

Likes MatinSAR and Steve4Physics
zenterix said:
Not the first poorly written HW problem. It surely won't be the last.

I would interpret it as you did where ##v_1=1.4v## should be ##|v_1|=1.4v##, etc.

Also, kind of nitpicking, ##0.99999 \neq 1##, but ##0.99999... = 1##.

Likes MatinSAR and berkeman

1. What is voltage in a simple circuit?

Voltage, also known as electrical potential difference, is the measure of the potential energy difference between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is responsible for the flow of electric current through a circuit.

2. How is voltage calculated in a simple circuit?

Voltage can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage is equal to the product of current and resistance. In a simple circuit, where the resistance is constant, voltage can be calculated by multiplying the current (in amperes) by the resistance (in ohms).

3. What is the role of voltage in a simple circuit?

Voltage is the driving force in a simple circuit that causes the flow of electric current. It provides the energy necessary for the electrons to move through the circuit and power the connected devices.

4. How does voltage affect the brightness of a light bulb in a simple circuit?

In a simple circuit, the voltage directly affects the brightness of a light bulb. As the voltage increases, the current flowing through the light bulb also increases, resulting in a brighter light. Similarly, decreasing the voltage will result in a dimmer light.

5. How can the voltage in a simple circuit be changed?

The voltage in a simple circuit can be changed by altering the power source, such as using a different battery or adjusting the power supply. It can also be changed by adding components such as resistors or capacitors to the circuit, which can affect the overall resistance and therefore the voltage.