Voltage Induced in Coil: Hall Effect

In summary, the Hall Effect is a phenomenon that occurs when a voltage is induced in a conductor or semiconductor perpendicular to an applied magnetic field and the electric current flowing through it. It is commonly used to measure voltage induced in a coil by placing the coil in a magnetic field and using a Hall probe. The voltage is induced in a coil due to the movement of magnetic field lines through the coil's windings, and is affected by factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, number of turns in the coil, and speed of the magnetic field lines. The Hall Effect is used in various practical applications, including current and position sensors, speed and direction sensors, and scientific research.
zooropa

Homework Statement

[STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE][/STRIKE]

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/2317/img11l.jpg

(a = 0.10 m and b = 0.16 m)

i=3t^3 - 5t

(i - ampéres t - seconds)

Determine the voltage induced in the coil to the instant t = 3 sec. well as the current direction.

Homework Equations

Hall efect

The Attempt at a Solution

A= 0.016 m^2
For t= 3 sec ... i=3*3^3 - 5*3 ...i= 66 ampéres

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
V=-d(phi)/dt, so first find an equation for phi in terms of i. Deriving that equation with respect to time will get you d(phi)/dt.

The voltage induced in the coil can be calculated using the formula V = B*l*v, where B is the magnetic field strength, l is the length of the coil, and v is the velocity of the charged particles in the coil. In this case, the velocity of the charged particles is equal to the current, i, divided by the cross-sectional area of the coil, A. Therefore, the voltage induced in the coil at t = 3 sec can be calculated as follows:

V = B*l*(i/A)

Since the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of current flow, the direction of the induced voltage will be determined by the right-hand rule. The direction of the induced voltage will be perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of current flow.

Using the values given in the problem, we can calculate the voltage induced in the coil at t = 3 sec:

V = B*l*(i/A) = (0.10 m)*(0.16 m)*(66 A)/(0.016 m^2) = 660 V

Therefore, the voltage induced in the coil at t = 3 sec is 660 volts and the direction of the induced voltage will be perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of current flow.

Related to Voltage Induced in Coil: Hall Effect

1. What is the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect is a phenomenon where a voltage is induced in a conductor or semiconductor perpendicular to the direction of an applied magnetic field and the electric current flowing through it.

2. How is the Hall Effect used to measure voltage induced in a coil?

The Hall Effect can be used to measure the voltage induced in a coil by placing the coil in a magnetic field and measuring the voltage across the coil's ends using a Hall probe.

3. What causes the voltage to be induced in a coil?

The voltage induced in a coil is caused by the movement of the magnetic field lines through the coil's windings, which creates an electromotive force (EMF) according to Faraday's Law of Induction.

4. What factors affect the voltage induced in a coil?

The voltage induced in a coil is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the speed at which the magnetic field lines move through the coil's windings.

5. How is the Hall Effect used in practical applications?

The Hall Effect is used in various practical applications, such as current and position sensors, speed and direction sensors, and in devices like magnetic card readers and compasses. It is also used in scientific research to study magnetic fields and materials.