Voltage Multiplier: Why Don't Current Divide Between Diodes?

In summary, the Voltage Tripler and Quadrupler circuit uses a negative voltage quadrupler configuration with smoothing and coupling capacitors. The diodes are ideal and current flows through the path with the least impedance, causing only one diode to work in each half cycle. This results in an output voltage that is four times the peak voltage minus four diode drops. However, this circuit is more than just a quadrupler, as the actual measured output may be higher.
Hassan Raafat
in Voltage Tripler and Quadrupler , why don't current divide between two diodes ( D1 , D3 ) or ( D2 , D4 ) ?
they are forward in the same cycle , right ?
I understand that charging happens in a very little time , so two cycles already is not shown on oscilloscope but in BoyleStad is explained that in every half cycles (in the first two) one diode only works ...
upload_2016-4-8_17-49-43.jpeg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hassan Raafat said:
in Voltage Tripler and Quadrupler , why don't current divide between two diodes ( D1 , D3 ) or ( D2 , D4 ) ?
they are forward in the same cycle , right ?
I understand that charging happens in a very little time , so two cycles already is not shown on oscilloscope but in BoyleStad is explained that in every half cycles (in the first two) one diode only works ...
View attachment 98799
I am no expert but here's what I think..
Assume the diodes are ideal. Current flows through C1 and D1 because this path offers less impedance than C1-C3-D2-C2 path. There are three caps in the second path, hence reactance offered is more. Also, when D1 turns on, it shorts out C2, D2 and C3.

Likes Hassan Raafat
This is a negative voltage quadrupler.
  • C2 and C4 are smoothing capacitors, storing energy between pulses
  • C1 and C3 are coupling capacitors, connecting the pulses from Vi to the diode junctions.
Now look at the capacitor/diode combinations: C1/D1 rectifies the negative peak pulse voltage and stores it on C1. The pulses are still present, but they are now referred to the voltage across C1. The same argument goes for C3/D3, except that the voltage across C2 is added to the rectified voltage across C3.

In the same way, the negative pulse is rectified across D2 and stored in C2. The resulting voltage across C2 is the sum of the voltage across C1 and the negative pulse amplitude. Finally, The negative pulse is also rectified across D4 and stored in C4. The resulting voltage across C4 is the sum of the voltage across C3 and the negative pulse amplitude. All in all - the voltage on C4 is 4 times the pulse amplitude minus 4 diode drops.

Likes Hassan Raafat
Svein said:
  • C1 and C3 are coupling capacitors, connecting the pulses from Vi to the diode junctions.
Now look at the capacitor/diode combinations: C1/D1 rectifies the negative peak pulse voltage and stores it on C1. The pulses are still present, but they are now referred to the voltage across C1. The same argument goes for C3/D3, except that the voltage across C2 is added to the rectified voltage across C3.

In the same way, the negative pulse is rectified across D2 and stored in C2. The resulting voltage across C2 is the sum of the voltage across C1 and the negative pulse amplitude. Finally, The negative pulse is also rectified across D4 and stored in C4. The resulting voltage across C4 is the sum of the voltage across C3 and the negative pulse amplitude. All in all - the voltage on C4 is 4 times the pulse amplitude minus 4 diode drops.
I think that your last sentence is confusing me , C4 has 2 times and also C2 has 2 times so when I took the voltage on the bottom from right to left I have 4Vs - 4 Diode drops

cnh1995 said:
I am no expert but here's what I think..
Assume the diodes are ideal. Current flows through C1 and D1 because this path offers less impedance than C1-C3-D2-C2 path. There are three caps in the second path, hence reactance offered is more. Also, when D1 turns on, it shorts out C2, D2 and C3.
If I understood u well , u mean that current will choose the shortest path to pass through (assuming all diodes are ideal) and so to have less capacitors in the path to have less impedance , right ?

Hassan Raafat said:
If I understood u well , u mean that current will choose the shortest path to pass through (assuming all diodes are ideal) and so to have less capacitors in the path to have less impedance , right ?
If D1 is turned on, it will short out D3, C3 and C2. So, D3 won't conduct. If D3 were on, then surely there would be some voltage drop across C3 which means D1 would also be on. But, if D1 is on, D3 can't be on. So, D3 is off in the first half cycle.

Likes Hassan Raafat
Svein said:

Sorry, several incorrect statements:
  1. It is a negative voltage doubler.
  2. The statements regarding the capacitors are correct.
This is a simulation of the circuit. The blue trace is the output of the pulse generator. The red trace is the voltage across D1. The green trace is the voltage at the output (junction D4/C4).
upload_2016-4-10_7-37-35.png

Likes Hassan Raafat
It is certainly more than a doubler. The actual measured output may not be quadruple of the peak voltage but in any textbook I have seen this would be more than just a doubler.

Likes Hassan Raafat
Averagesupernova said:
It is certainly more than a doubler. The actual measured output may not be quadruple of the peak voltage but in any textbook I have seen this would be more than just a doubler.
Oops - we are talking about two different things here. I am used to thinking about generating a voltage from a pulse train - and then the circuit doubles the pulse amplitude. But if you are talking about a sine wave AC input, the circuit quadruples the sine wave amplitude (the sine wave amplitude is half the peak-to-peak voltage).

Likes Hassan Raafat
Svein said:
if you are talking about a sine wave AC input, the circuit quadruples the sine wave amplitude (the sine wave amplitude is half the peak-to-peak voltage).
upload_2016-4-11_5-58-56.png

Here is a simulation with a 5V amplitude sine wave at the input. The output is then 4 times the amplitude (and 2 times the p-p voltage).

Likes Hassan Raafat
There really is no difference. It's just how the input is spec'd. An AC voltage that is typically driving a voltage multiplier in a power supply is always spec'd as RMS. The attachment in post #7 is no different. Typically we don't spec 0 to 5 volt 50% duty cycle waveform as 2.5 volt RMS but it still multiplies it in the same manner.

Likes Hassan Raafat
Svein said:
View attachment 98925
Here is a simulation with a 5V amplitude sine wave at the input. The output is then 4 times the amplitude (and 2 times the p-p voltage).
Thanks a lot , this images really helped me to understand it ... I'm grateful for that my professor :smile:

1. Why is there a difference in current between diodes in a voltage multiplier?

In a voltage multiplier circuit, the diodes are connected in series. This means that the current flowing through one diode must also flow through all the other diodes in the circuit. However, the voltage across each diode increases with each stage of the multiplier, causing the current to decrease. This is known as "current division" and is a natural result of the voltage increase in a voltage multiplier circuit.

2. How does the capacitance affect the current division in a voltage multiplier?

The capacitance in a voltage multiplier can affect the current division by storing energy and releasing it during the charging and discharging cycles. This can cause a slight imbalance in the current flow through the diodes, resulting in a slightly higher current in the diode with the larger capacitance. However, this effect is minimal and does not significantly impact the overall function of the voltage multiplier.

3. Can changing the resistance affect the current division in a voltage multiplier?

No, changing the resistance in a voltage multiplier will not significantly impact the current division between diodes. This is because the voltage across each diode is mainly determined by the capacitance and the voltage source, not the resistance. However, changing the resistance can affect the overall efficiency and output of the voltage multiplier.

4. Is there a way to prevent current division in a voltage multiplier?

No, current division is an inherent property of voltage multiplier circuits and cannot be prevented. However, it can be minimized by using diodes with similar characteristics and carefully designing the circuit to reduce any imbalances in capacitance or resistance.

5. How does temperature affect current division in a voltage multiplier?

Temperature can affect the current division in a voltage multiplier by changing the characteristics of the diodes. As temperature increases, the forward voltage drop of the diodes also increases, causing a decrease in current flow. This can result in a slight difference in current between diodes, but it is usually not significant enough to impact the overall function of the voltage multiplier.