Volume form on unit sphere

In summary: You take the interior product of the volume form in ##\mathbb{R}^{n+1}## with the position vector ##\bf r##. This gives you an n-form with the properties that you want.
spaghetti3451
The volume form on the unit sphere ##S^{n}## in ##\mathbb{R}^{n+1}## is given by

$$i_{{\bf r}}\ dx^{1}\wedge \dots \wedge dx^{n+1}=\sum (-1)^{i-1}x^{i}dx^{1}\wedge\dots \widehat{dx^{i}} \dots \wedge dx^{n+1}.$$

Why must the volume form ##dx^{1}\wedge \dots \wedge dx^{n+1}## act on the vector ##{\bf r}## to give the volume form on the unit sphere?

Also, how do I get the form of the volume form on the right-hand side of the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
The volume form on the unit sphere ##S^{n}## in ##\mathbb{R}^{n+1}## is given by

$$i_{{\bf r}}\ dx^{1}\wedge \dots \wedge dx^{n+1}=\sum (-1)^{i-1}x^{i}dx^{1}\wedge\dots \widehat{dx^{i}} \dots \wedge dx^{n+1}.$$

Why must the volume form ##dx^{1}\wedge \dots \wedge dx^{n+1}## act on the vector ##{\bf r}## to give the volume form on the unit sphere?
What you have is the volume form in n+1 dimensions. Taking the interior product with the position vector gives you an appropriate n-form that has exactly the properties that you are looking for when you do the pullback to the n-sphere.

failexam said:
Also, how do I get the form of the volume form on the right-hand side of the equation?

Do you mean how you get the left-hand side on that form? Have you tried simply applying the definition of the interior product?

"Why must the volume form dx1∧⋯∧dxn+1 act on the vector r to give the volume form on the unit sphere?"

This works as long as by r you mean the radial vector field of unit length.

Here's one reason for this: Suppose near some point p of the unit sphere Sn in Rn+1 you have tangent vectors

∂/∂y1, . . ., ∂/∂yn

that are orthonormal at p. Then the dual 1-forms

dy1, . . ., dyn

automatically have the property that their wedge product

dy1∧ . . . ∧dyn

is the volume form of Sn.

This work for any Riemannian manifold, not just Sn. Because the unit radial vector r together with the vectors ∂/∂y1, . . ., ∂/∂yn form an orthonormal basis for Rn+1 at the point p, the wedge product of their dual 1-forms is the volume form of Rn+1. That is,

dx1∧⋯∧dxn+1 = dr∧dy1∧ . . . ∧dyn

where the meaning of dr should be clear. This implies what you asked about almost immediately. It would be good to try some simple cases in low dimensions to see this is a general principle.

Likes nrqed
zinq said:
This works as long as by r you mean the radial vector field of unit length.
The position vector always has unit length on the unit sphere.

Good point!

Orodruin said:
What you have is the volume form in n+1 dimensions. Taking the interior product with the position vector gives you an appropriate n-form that has exactly the properties that you are looking for when you do the pullback to the n-sphere.

Ok, so, to get the volume form on the unit sphere ##S^{n}##, you take the interior product of the volume form in ##\mathbb{R}^{n+1}## with ##\bf r##.

But, how you do simplify it to the expression ##\sum (-1)^{i-1}x^{i}dx^{1}\wedge\dots \widehat{dx^{i}} \dots \wedge dx^{n+1}##?

In particular, I don't understand why ##\displaystyle{{\bf r} = \sum_{i=1}^{n+1} x^{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{i}}}##.

My hunch is that ##\displaystyle{{\bf r} = \sum_{i=1}^{n+1} \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{i}}}## since ##\bf r## is a unit vector and must have components which are unity. But, I don't see why my hunch is wrong.

The vector you quote is neither radial nor has norm one. A unit vector has norm one, not all components equal to one.

Likes spaghetti3451
Thank you! This was helpful.

1. What is a "volume form" on a unit sphere?

A volume form on a unit sphere is a mathematical concept that represents a way of measuring the volume of a given region on the surface of the sphere. It is a differential form, which is a type of mathematical object that assigns a value to each infinitesimal piece of the sphere's surface. Essentially, it is a way of quantifying the amount of space within a specific region on the surface of the sphere.

2. How is a volume form on a unit sphere calculated?

A volume form on a unit sphere is typically calculated using differential geometry techniques. It involves integrating a differential form over a given region on the sphere's surface. The specific formula for calculating the volume form will depend on the chosen coordinate system and the specific region being measured.

3. What is the purpose of a volume form on a unit sphere?

The purpose of a volume form on a unit sphere is to provide a way of measuring the volume of a given region on the sphere's surface. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating the surface area of a spherical object or determining the amount of fluid that can fit within a spherical container.

4. Can a volume form on a unit sphere be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, a volume form on a unit sphere can be generalized to higher dimensions. In fact, the concept of a volume form can be extended to any manifold, which is a mathematical space that locally resembles Euclidean space. This means that the concept of a volume form is not limited to just spheres, but can be applied to a wide range of mathematical objects.

5. Are there any real-world applications of volume forms on unit spheres?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of volume forms on unit spheres. For example, they are used in physics and engineering to calculate the volume of objects with spherical symmetry, such as planets or particles. They are also used in computer graphics to generate realistic 3D models of spherical objects. Additionally, volume forms on unit spheres are used in various fields of mathematics, including differential geometry and topology.