Differential forms and vector calculus

In summary: This is not the case, hence the isomorphism is not natural."In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of expressions in the language of differential forms on a manifold and expressions in the language of vector calculus in ##\mathbb{R}^{n}##. It is argued that an exterior derivative is always a differential form, not a vector, and that the isomorphism between a vector space and its dual is not natural. This is demonstrated through a discussion of duality as a functor and a counterexample involving canonical metrics."
spaghetti3451
Let

##0##-form ##f =## function ##f##

##1##-form ##\alpha^{1} =## covariant expression for a vector ##\bf{A}##

Then consider the following dictionary of symbolic identifications of expressions expressed in the language of differential forms on a manifold and expressions expressed in the language of vector calculus in ##\mathbb{R}^{n}##.

##i_{\bf{v}}(\alpha^{1}) \iff \bf{v}\cdot{\bf{A}}##

##df \iff \text{grad}f##
Now, with ##\alpha^{1} = a_{i}dx^{i}##,

why is ##\textbf{d}i_{\bf{v}}(a_{i}dx^{i})\iff\text{grad}({\bf{v\cdot{A}}})\cdot{d\bf{x}}##

and not ##\textbf{d}i_{\bf{v}}(a_{i}dx^{i})\iff\text{grad}({\bf{v\cdot{A}}})##?

Last edited:
failexam said:
Let

##0##-form ##f =## function ##f##

##1##-form ##\alpha^{1} =## covariant expression for a vector ##\bf{A}##

Then consider the following dictionary of symbolic identifications of expressions expressed in the language of differential forms on a manifold and expressions expressed in the language of vector calculus in ##\mathbb{R}^{n}##.

##i_{\bf{v}}(\alpha^{1}) \iff \bf{v}\cdot{\bf{A}}##

##df \iff \text{grad}f##
Now, with ##\alpha^{1} = a_{i}dx^{i}##,

why is ##\textbf{d}i_{\bf{v}}(a_{i}dx^{i})\iff\text{grad}({\bf{v\cdot{A}}})\cdot{d\bf{x}}##

and not ##\textbf{d}i_{\bf{v}}(a_{i}dx^{i})\iff\text{grad}({\bf{v\cdot{A}}})##?

An exterior derivative is always a differential form not a vector.

lavinia said:
An exterior derivative is always a differential form not a vector.
Doesn't the vector space duality give you equality (up to non-natural isomorphism)?

WWGD said:
Doesn't the vector space duality give you equality (up to non-natural isomorphism)?
The exterior derivation is an operator that shifts k-forms to (k+1)-forms. But this non-natural between 1-forms and vectors drives my nuts. To be or not to be?

WWGD said:

Yes but that is not the point.

If the isomorphism were natural then it might be reasonable not to distinguish them. The different isomorphisms define all of the possible metrics - I think. One could also say that a vector is the same as the operator that takes inner products with that vector. But again this operator is not a vector. It is a dual vector.

lavinia said:
If the isomorphism were natural then it might be reasonable not to distinguish them.
I don't think that this is a legal implication. At a short glimpse into my homology book, duality seems to be a natural functor.

fresh_42 said:
I don't think that this is a legal implication. At a short glimpse into my homology book, duality seems to be a natural functor.
Can you explain this further? It seems that if there is no natural isomorphism then identifying the spaces is not natural. The isomorphism between a vector space and its dual seems to require a metric. But the double does not.

BTW: What is the title of your homology book?

Last edited:
lavinia said:
Can you explain this further? It seems that if there is no natural isomorphism then identifying the spaces is not natural.

BTW: What is the title of your homology book?
I can, but it's in the wrong language and from the 70's (G. Brunner: Homological Algebra; even amazon apparently doesn't have it). But as I said, I didn't really searched for an exact definition of "natural" in a sense as "universal" is defined. I simply stumbled upon the definition (and a commutative diagram) of a functorial morphism, which the author said is also called morphism of functors or natural transformation, resp. natural equivalence in case of isomorphisms. To me it made sense, since duality transforms objects and morphisms between two categories in a - which I find - natural way and I couldn't see, why this diagram shouldn't commute in the case of the ##*##-functor.

"Doesn't the vector space duality give you equality (up to non-natural isomorphism)?"

This amounts to nothing more than saying that the two real vector spaces have the same dimension.

"... duality seems to be a natural functor."

There is such a thing as a "functor", and there is such a thing as a "natural transformation". But I do not know the definition of a "natural functor".

For why an isomorphism between a vector space and its (algebraic) dual is not natural, see Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natur...le:_dual_of_a_finite-dimensional_vector_space.

zinq said:
"... duality seems to be a natural functor."
Yes, this is nonsense, see the correction in #9 to "natural transformation". But, as I said, I took only a glimpse on it, without further examination. Therefore thank you for clarifying this. I wouldn't have expected it to be a counterexample. Something learnt. (Does this count for tuesday or wednesday? :smile:)

Likes zinq
If there were a canonical isomorphism from the tangent bundle of a smooth manifold to the bundle of differential 1-forms then every manifold would have a canonical metric.

Last edited:

1. What are differential forms and how are they used in vector calculus?

Differential forms are mathematical objects used to describe and manipulate the geometric properties of vector fields. They are used in vector calculus to generalize the concepts of gradient, divergence, and curl to higher dimensions.

2. How are differential forms different from traditional vectors and vector fields?

Differential forms are different from traditional vectors and vector fields in that they are not tied to a specific coordinate system. They are invariant under coordinate transformations and can be defined without reference to a coordinate system.

3. What is the role of differential forms in Stokes' theorem and the fundamental theorem of calculus?

Differential forms play a crucial role in both Stokes' theorem and the fundamental theorem of calculus. In Stokes' theorem, they provide a way to integrate vector fields over surfaces and volumes, while in the fundamental theorem of calculus, they are used to express the relationship between derivatives and integrals.

4. How are differential forms used in applications such as electromagnetism and fluid mechanics?

In electromagnetism, differential forms are used to describe the electric and magnetic fields and their interactions. In fluid mechanics, they are used to describe the flow of fluids and the forces acting on them. They provide a powerful mathematical framework for analyzing these physical phenomena.

5. What are some common operations that can be performed on differential forms?

Some common operations that can be performed on differential forms include exterior derivative, wedge product, and Hodge star operator. These operations allow for the manipulation and transformation of differential forms to solve various mathematical problems in vector calculus.