Volume of a Pyramid: Find A(z) to Calculate V

In summary, a right pyramid has a volume of $V=\frac{1}{3}A\,h$ where $A\,h$ is the area of the cross-section at height $z$.
Dustinsfl
I am trying to find the volume of a pyramid where the base has length \(L\) and width \(W\), and the pyramid has height \(h\).

Let \(L\) be on the x-axis and \(W\) be on the y axis.
In the x-z plane, we have the line \(z = -\frac{h}{L/2}x + h\), and in the y-z plane, we have the line \(z = -\frac{h}{W/2}y + h\).

My cross sections has width \(\Delta z\). So I want to find the volume \(\int_0^hA(z)dz\).

How can I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Let $A(z)$ be the area of the cross-section at height $z$. Prove that $A(z)=A\left(1-\frac{z}{h}\right)^2$ where $A=A(0)$. Then compute the integral $\int_0^h A(z)\,dz$. This resulting expression of the volume through $A$ works for any right cone, not just a pyramid.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Hint: Let $A(z)$ be the area of the cross-section at height $z$. Prove that $A(z)=A\left(1-\frac{z}{h}\right)^2$ where $A=A(0)$. Then compute the integral $\int_0^h A(z)\,dz$. This resulting expression of the volume through $A$ works for any right cone, not just a pyramid.
So is A a plane? Where did \(\left(1-\frac{z}{h}\right)^2\) come from?

dwsmith said:
So is A a plane?
No, in my notations $A=A(0)$ is a number, the area of the pyramid's base.

dwsmith said:
Where did \(\left(1-\frac{z}{h}\right)^2\) come from?
The length of the cross-section at height $z$ is $L\left(1-\frac{z}{h}\right)$, and the width at height $z$ is $W\left(1-\frac{z}{h}\right)$. This is seen from your linear equations by finding $2x$ and $2y$ for a fixed $z$, but it is even easier to see this from similar triangles obtained when you consider sections through the $xz$ and $yz$ planes.

By the way, the formula for the volume in terms of $A$ and $h$ is true for any cone, not necessarily a right one.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
No, in my notations $A=A(0)$ is a number, the area of the pyramid's base.

The length of the cross-section at height $z$ is $L\left(1-\frac{z}{h}\right)$, and the width at height $z$ is $W\left(1-\frac{z}{h}\right)$. This is seen from your linear equations by finding $2x$ and $2y$ for a fixed $z$, but it is even easier to see this from similar triangles obtained when you consider sections through the $xz$ and $yz$ planes.

By the way, the formula for the volume in terms of $A$ and $h$ is true for any cone, not necessarily a right one.

Why would we find the area as \(2x\cdot 2y\) instead of \(x\cdot y\)?

dwsmith said:
I am trying to find the volume of a pyramid where the base has length \(L\) and width \(W\), and the pyramid has height \(h\).

In the x-z plane, we have the line \(z = -\frac{h}{L/2}x + h\), and in the y-z plane, we have the line \(z = -\frac{h}{W/2}y + h\).

My cross sections has width \(\Delta z\). So I want to find the volume \(\int_0^hA(z)dz\).

How can I do this?

If it's a right pyramid, isn't the volume just $\displaystyle \begin{align*} V = \frac{1}{3}A\,h = \frac{1}{3}L\,W\,h \end{align*}$?

dwsmith said:
Why would we find the area as \(2x\cdot 2y\) instead of \(x\cdot y\)?
Because the section of the cone using the $xz$ plane is a triangle with sides
\begin{align}
z &= +\frac{h}{L/2}x + h\qquad(1)\\
z &= -\frac{h}{L/2}x + h\qquad(2)
\end{align}
If you find the $x$ corresponding to a given $z$ from (2), then the line at height $z$ crosses the triangle from $-x$ to $x$, i.e., the length of the segment the triangle cuts on the line is $2x$. But again, this is easier to see from similar triangles. The overall intuition is that the length of the cross-section decreases linearly from $L$ at $z=0$ to $0$ at $z=h$. There is a single linear function that does this, and it is $L\left(1-\frac{z}{h}\right)$.

- - - Updated - - -

Prove It said:
If it's a right pyramid, isn't the volume just $\displaystyle \begin{align*} V = \frac{1}{3}A\,h = \frac{1}{3}L\,W\,h \end{align*}$?
We are trying to prove it.

dwsmith said:

How can I do this?

You may want to read http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/volumes-pyramids-6131.html for a tutorial on how to work this type of problem. :D

MarkFL said:
You may want to read http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/volumes-pyramids-6131.html for a tutorial on how to work this type of problem. :D

I was reading a calculus book and had most of it figured out but the 2x 2y piece Makarov cleared up.

1. How do you calculate the volume of a pyramid?

To calculate the volume of a pyramid, you need to know the area of the base and the height of the pyramid. The formula for finding the volume of a pyramid is V = (1/3) * Base Area * Height.

2. What is the base area of a pyramid?

The base area of a pyramid is the area of the base shape that the pyramid sits on. This can be any shape, such as a square, rectangle, triangle, or even a circle.

3. Can the height of a pyramid be negative?

No, the height of a pyramid cannot be negative. It is a measure of distance and must be a positive value.

4. What unit of measurement is used for the volume of a pyramid?

The unit of measurement used for the volume of a pyramid will depend on the unit of measurement used for the base area and height. For example, if the base area is measured in square inches and the height is measured in inches, then the volume will be in cubic inches.

5. Is there a specific formula for finding the volume of a pyramid with a circular base?

Yes, there is a specific formula for finding the volume of a pyramid with a circular base. It is V = (1/3) * π * r^2 * h, where r is the radius of the circular base and h is the height of the pyramid.