Volume of an octagonal dome by using calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for calculating the volume of an octagonal dome using integral calculus. The suggested approach is to integrate vertically and consider the dome as consisting of parallel hexagons. It is important to have knowledge of the geometry and the ability to calculate the area of a hexagon in order to use this method. The conversation also addresses potential mistakes or typos in the calculations and clarifies certain terms and equations.
the_dane
On this picture we see a octagonal dome. I am trying to calculate the volume of this object by integral calculus but I can't find a way. How would you calculate this?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17974596/Sk%C3%A6rmbillede%202015-12-17%20kl.%2002.14.48.png
I am majoring in math-econ but i will try to understand geometrical challenges a bit. Hence my lack of overview in calculus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dane:

I suggest integrating vertically, say the h dimension. That is, consider the dome to consist of a parallel hexagons of thickness dh. Calculate the area A(h) for a hexagon at height h, and integrate ∫0H A(h) dh, from zero, the base, to the peak height H.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi dane:

I suggest integrating vertically, say the h dimension. That is, consider the dome to consist of a parallel hexagons of thickness dh. Calculate the area A(h) for a hexagon at height h, and integrate ∫0H A(h) dh, from zero, the base, to the peak height H.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Buzz
thank you very much answer. I will try to do so. How sure are you of this approach?

the_dane said:
How sure are you of this approach?
Hi dane:

I am sure this will give the correct answer if you know enough about the geometry to calculate A(h). That is, you need to know the shape of the curve of the dome, that is, how the length of a side of a hexagon varies with h. You will also need to know how to calculate the area of a hexagon given the length of a side.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi dane:

I am sure this will give the correct answer if you know enough about the geometry to calculate A(h). That is, you need to know the shape of the curve of the dome, that is, how the length of a side of a hexagon varies with h. You will also need to know how to calculate the area of a hexagon given the length of a side.

Regards,
Buzz
I think this is a great start and I get google the things you mentioned above. Thank you.

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi dane:

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Buzz
Let's divide the botum into 8 pieces.
the_dane said:
thank you very much answer. I will try to do so. How sure are you of this approach?
v=∫0r a(t=Solve(equaton for the cirkle)dy
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi dane:

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Buzz
Here's what I did. I define the area of the octagon by it's apothem and call it r: a1( r) is the function. I divide the octagon in 8 pieces and each piece have the area (1/8)a1( r) which I call a( r)=(1/8)a1( r). Then I integrate from v=∫0r a(y)dy, where y is isolated from the y^2-x^2=r^2 is the circle. And I assume that a octagon with apothem r is unique?

Hi dane:

I am not sure I understand your description of what you are doing.

I think you may have a typo and wrote "botum" rather than "bottom".

You divide the bottom hexagon into to 8 parts. I assume you intend each piece to be a triangle with its height equaling the apothem. The area of the bottom will be 8 times the area of this triangle. The area of the triangle is 1/2 the apothem times the side of the octagon.

You said, "where y is isolated from the y^2-x^2=r^2 is the circle." I do not know what x and y are or what the "circle" is.

Regards,
Buzz

Related to Volume of an octagonal dome by using calculus

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of an octagonal dome?

The formula for calculating the volume of an octagonal dome is V = (1/3)πh(3r^2 + h^2), where h is the height of the dome and r is the radius of the base octagon. This formula can be derived using calculus by splitting the dome into infinitesimally thin slices and integrating.

2. How does calculus help in finding the volume of an octagonal dome?

Calculus helps in finding the volume of an octagonal dome by providing the tools to calculate the volume of irregular shapes. By breaking the dome into smaller and smaller pieces, we can use the principles of integration to find the volume of each piece and then add them together to get the total volume.

3. Can the volume of an octagonal dome be found using other methods besides calculus?

Yes, the volume of an octagonal dome can also be found using other methods such as geometry or trigonometry. However, these methods may only give an approximation and may not be as accurate as using calculus.

4. What variables are needed to calculate the volume of an octagonal dome using calculus?

To calculate the volume of an octagonal dome using calculus, we need to know the height of the dome (h) and the radius of the base octagon (r). These variables are used in the formula V = (1/3)πh(3r^2 + h^2).

5. Are there any real-life applications of calculating the volume of an octagonal dome using calculus?

Yes, the volume of an octagonal dome can be applied in architecture and engineering, specifically in the design and construction of domed structures. Calculating the volume using calculus allows for precise measurements and can help in the planning and building process.