Volume of smaller pyramid is less than the volume of the whole.

In summary: It may have some symmetries, but not a symmetry about the horizontal cut. (You are not told how many sides the base has, or whether those sides form a regular polygon; but you do need to assume the base is horizontal.)In summary, a pyramid with uniform density has a mass centre located at the height where the base intersects the horizontal plane. The volume of the top half of the pyramid is greater than the volume of the bottom half, but the two halves have the same mass.
R_moor
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
I have a test coming up next week and while doing some practice questions I found one I can't wrap my head around. The question is:

A pyramid (assume uniform density) is divided in two parts by a horizontal plane through its center of mass. How do the masses of the two parts compare ? There are three options provided:

a) The mass of the top part is higher
b) The mass of the bottom part is higher
c)Both parts have the same mass.

I think that for a symmetrical object like this one with uniform density the centre of mass must be equal in both sides. However, I'm not sure how to find a way to prove this, or (obviously) whether i am right or wrong. Any help Would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
R_moor said:
symmetrical object
It may have some symmetries, but not a symmetry about the horizontal cut.
(You are not told how many sides the base has, or whether those sides form a regular polygon; but you do need to assume the base is horizontal.)
Where is the mass centre of a pyramid?
In geometrical terms, how does the whole pyramid compare with the portion above the cut?

R_moor said:
I have a test coming up next week and while doing some practice questions I found one I can't wrap my head around. The question is:

A pyramid (assume uniform density) is divided in two parts by a horizontal plane through its center of mass. How do the masses of the two parts compare ? There are three options provided:

a) The mass of the top part is higher
b) The mass of the bottom part is higher
c)Both parts have the same mass.

I think that for a symmetrical object like this one with uniform density the centre of mass must be equal in both sides. However, I'm not sure how to find a way to prove this, or (obviously) whether i am right or wrong. Any help Would be appreciated.

Consider this:

The centre of mass is typically below the halfway point of the height, since the base occupies a larger volume (and this object is of uniform density). I can't recall that generic number we use to find the height of the CM relative to the height of a uniform-density (and I am assuming square based) pyramid, but using that you can find the volumes of the top half and bottom half (or at least the proportions to the original mass M).

Alloymouse said:
Consider this:

The centre of mass is typically below the halfway point of the height, since the base occupies a larger volume (and this object is of uniform density). I can't recall that generic number we use to find the height of the CM relative to the height of a uniform-density (and I am assuming square based) pyramid, but using that you can find the volumes of the top half and bottom half (or at least the proportions to the original mass M).
Thank you this is what I did, I found the Centre of mass and noticed that there were two simple geometric figures left, A smaller pyramid at the top, and a trapezoid at the bottom.
Since: Mass = density * volume
and the density of both parts are the same, then the mass of each slice should depend on the volume,(at leasdt how they compare to each other.

haruspex said:
It may have some symmetries, but not a symmetry about the horizontal cut.
(You are not told how many sides the base has, or whether those sides form a regular polygon; but you do need to assume the base is horizontal.)
Where is the mass centre of a pyramid?
In geometrical terms, how does the whole pyramid compare with the portion above the cut?
For this I meant that you could have a vertical axis pass through the CM of mass, which will pass through the tip of the pyramid.

R_moor said:
I found the Centre of mass
What did you get?
R_moor said:
A smaller pyramid at the top
How would the volume of that compare to the volume of the whole?

What is the definition of "Centre of Mass of a pyramid"?

The centre of mass of a pyramid is the point at which the entire mass of the pyramid can be considered to be concentrated.

How is the centre of mass of a pyramid calculated?

The centre of mass of a pyramid can be calculated by finding the average position of all the individual masses within the pyramid. This is typically done by dividing the pyramid into smaller, simpler shapes and calculating the centre of mass for each, then combining them to find the overall centre of mass.

Why is it important to know the centre of mass of a pyramid?

Knowing the centre of mass of a pyramid is important for understanding its stability and balance. It can also be useful in engineering and construction, as it helps determine the distribution of weight and the location of support structures.

Does the shape of the pyramid affect its centre of mass?

Yes, the shape of a pyramid does affect its centre of mass. A taller or more asymmetrical pyramid will have a centre of mass that is higher or off-center, respectively, compared to a shorter or more symmetrical pyramid.

How does the centre of mass of a pyramid relate to its base?

The centre of mass of a pyramid is always located above its base, as the base is typically the largest and most stable part of the pyramid. The exact location of the centre of mass in relation to the base depends on the shape and distribution of mass within the pyramid.