Von Neumann Entropy of a joint state

In summary, the von Neumann entropy of a density matrix is given by $$S(\rho) := - Tr[\rho ln \rho] = H[\lambda (\rho)] $$ and the Holevo $\chi$ quantity for an ensemble is defined as $$\chi := S(\rho) - \sum_j p_j S(\rho_j) $$ In regards to the question, the property of von Neumann entropy that implies the given result is that it is additive for tensor products and can be expressed in terms of the Shannon entropy of the eigenvalues of a density matrix.
Danny Boy
Definition 1 The von Neumann entropy of a density matrix is given by $$S(\rho) := - Tr[\rho ln \rho] = H[\lambda (\rho)] $$ where ##H[\lambda (\rho)]## is the Shannon entropy of the set of probabilities ##\lambda (\rho)## (which are eigenvalues of the density operator ##\rho##).

Definition 2 If a system is prepared in the ensemble ##\{ p_j, \rho_j \}## then we define the Holevo $\chi$ quantity for the ensemble by $$\chi := S(\rho) - \sum_j p_j S(\rho_j) $$

Short Question : Let ##A## and ##B## be two quantum systems in a state of the form $$\rho^{(AB)} = \sum_k q_i |a_{i}^{(A)} \rangle \langle a_{i}^{(A)} | \otimes \rho_{i}^{(B)} $$
where the states ##|a_{i}^{(A)} \rangle## are orthogonal. What property of the von Neumann entropy implies that the von Neumann entropy of the joint state is $$S(\rho^{(AB)}) = H(\vec{q}) + \sum_i q_i S(\rho_{i}^{(B)})? $$

Thanks for any assistance.

Likes atyy and Johny Boy
Physics news on Phys.org
Proposal: I'm pretty sure it makes use of the following properties of von Neumann entropy: $$S(\rho_{A} \otimes \rho_{B}) = S(\rho_{A}) + S(\rho_{B})$$ and if ##\rho_{A} = \sum_{x} p_x | \phi_x \rangle \langle \phi_x|## then $$S(\rho_{A} \otimes \rho_{B}) = H(X) + S(\rho_{B})$$ where ##X = \{| \phi_x \rangle, p_x \}##. I'm still missing something which leads to the result stated above...

Where did you see this?

What is the Von Neumann Entropy of a joint state?

The Von Neumann Entropy of a joint state is a measure of the amount of uncertainty or randomness in a quantum system that consists of multiple subsystems. It is named after mathematician John von Neumann and is also known as the von Neumann entropy or the quantum entropy.

How is the Von Neumann Entropy of a joint state calculated?

The Von Neumann Entropy of a joint state is calculated by taking the trace of the product of the joint state and its logarithm. Mathematically, it can be represented as S(ρ) = -Tr(ρlnρ), where ρ is the joint state.

What does the Von Neumann Entropy of a joint state tell us?

The Von Neumann Entropy of a joint state tells us the amount of information required to fully describe the quantum system. It is a measure of the uncertainty or randomness in the system and can also be interpreted as the amount of information that is lost when the system is measured.

What is the significance of the Von Neumann Entropy of a joint state?

The Von Neumann Entropy of a joint state is an important concept in quantum information theory and has various applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and communication. It is also used to study the entanglement between subsystems in a quantum system.

How does the Von Neumann Entropy of a joint state differ from classical entropy?

The Von Neumann Entropy of a joint state differs from classical entropy in that it takes into account the quantum properties of a system. While classical entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a classical system, the Von Neumann Entropy also considers the superposition and entanglement of quantum states.