Von Neumann measurement scheme

In summary, the Von Neumann measurement scheme is a mathematical model used to describe the process of quantum measurement, developed by physicist John von Neumann in the 1930s. It involves three main steps: preparation, measurement, and post-measurement. The observer plays a crucial role in the scheme, and limitations include its inability to fully explain the measurement process and its limited applicability to certain systems. It is used in practical applications such as quantum computing and cryptography, but is often combined with other models for a more comprehensive understanding.
bluecap
I've been studying the von Neumann measurement scheme (and understanding the math part) where the system and apparatus are quantum in contrast to the orthodox where the apparatus is classical. I'd like to know the following.

1. Is the von Neumann measurement scheme 100% orthodox and believed by the mainstream? I'm asking this because some full fledged physicists like Vanheez71 doesn't even believe in the Bell's Theorem or think that setting up one of the apparatus has no influence (whether non-local or non-realistic, etc.) on the other (he attributed everything to ensembles). He doesn't even believe in the Kochen-Specker Theorem. See his endless debates with Demystier and others. so I wonder if he or others also doesn't believe in the von Neumann measurement scheme.

2. How do you understand it?

3. Is the von Neumann cut related to the von Neumann measurement scheme? If not, can you give example of the math of the von Neamann cut? The math of the von Neumann measurement scheme is simply entanglement of the system and apparatus.

4. Why is there another Heiserberg cut? How does it differ to the von Neumann cut. If they are the same. Did Heisenberg and von Neumann discover the cut at the same time?

Physics news on Phys.org
bluecap said:
I've been studying the von Neumann measurement scheme

You need to give references that you are using. Without something specific it's not going to be possible to have a productive discussion.

bluecap said:
Is the von Neumann measurement scheme 100% orthodox and believed by the mainstream?

Physics doesn't work this way. The question you should be asking is, is the scheme testable? Does it make correct predictions?

bluecap said:
I'm asking this because some full fledged physicists like Vanheez71 doesn't even believe in the Bell's Theorem or think that setting up one of the apparatus has no influence (whether non-local or non-realistic, etc.) on the other (he attributed everything to ensembles). He doesn't even believe in the Kochen-Specker Theorem. See his endless debates with Demystier and others. so I wonder if he or others also doesn't believe in the von Neumann measurement scheme.
I'm

You should not presume to say what other PF members do or do not "believe". I suspect you have misinterpreted things that you have seen posted, but in any case, statements like this are off topic.

bluecap said:
How do you understand it?

This is much too vague. You need to find a specific question about something you are having trouble understanding.

bluecap said:
Is the von Neumann cut related to the von Neumann measurement scheme?

This can't be answered unless we have a specific reference you are using, so we know what you think you are referring to by these terms.

bluecap said:
Why is there another Heiserberg cut? How does it differ to the von Neumann cut.

Same comment as above.

I am closing the thread since the OP is much too broad and no references are given. @bluecap if you can give a specific reference and come up with a specific question about something you don't understand (preferably with a specific concrete example of the issue), you can open a new thread to discuss that specific issue.

What is the Von Neumann measurement scheme?

The Von Neumann measurement scheme is a mathematical model used to describe the process of quantum measurement. It was developed by physicist John von Neumann in the 1930s and is based on the principles of quantum mechanics.

How does the Von Neumann measurement scheme work?

The Von Neumann measurement scheme involves three main steps: preparation, measurement, and post-measurement. In the preparation stage, the quantum system is prepared in a specific state. During the measurement stage, an observable quantity is measured and the system is collapsed into one of its possible eigenstates. In the post-measurement stage, the state of the system is updated to reflect the outcome of the measurement.

What is the role of the observer in the Von Neumann measurement scheme?

The observer plays a crucial role in the Von Neumann measurement scheme. It is the observer's interaction with the quantum system that causes the collapse of the system and results in a specific measurement outcome. The observer's consciousness and free will are also believed to play a role in determining the outcome of the measurement.

What are the limitations of the Von Neumann measurement scheme?

One of the main limitations of the Von Neumann measurement scheme is its inability to fully explain the measurement process in quantum mechanics. It also does not account for the role of decoherence, which is the gradual loss of quantum coherence between a system and its environment. Additionally, the scheme only works for systems with a finite number of discrete states and cannot be applied to continuous systems.

How is the Von Neumann measurement scheme used in practical applications?

The Von Neumann measurement scheme has been used in various practical applications, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It is also used in experiments to test the principles of quantum mechanics and to study the behavior of quantum systems. However, due to its limitations, it is not the only model used to describe quantum measurement and is often combined with other models to provide a more comprehensive understanding.