VOTE Photo Contest - Ain't No Valley Low Enough

In summary: I said "I'm going to have to go with physarrista because they went the extra mile."In summary, this could possibly be the most difficult contest we have so far. Every picture is a winner.

VOTE PF Photo Contest - Ain't No Mountain High Enough

• Janus

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • larkspur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • physarrista

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Monique

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • ZapperZ

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • matthyaouw

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • hypnagogue

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Astronuc

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
This could possibly be the most difficult contest we have so far. Every picture is a winner.

Please vote for the picture that best represents our theme, which is a valley.

1. Janus
http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/yosemite.jpg

2. larkspur
256358483_68b450de2c_o.jpg

3. physarrista
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/buelder/PICT1631.jpg

4. Monique
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/8621/valleyod6.jpg

5. ZapperZ
img1486vl0.jpg

6. matthyaouw
untitled.jpg

7. hypnagogue
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/2941/valleyzw1.jpg

8. Astronuc
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/1458/grandcanyon1003192ux0rl7.jpg

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=164460"

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Geeze, I can't decide, they're all beautiful!

I had to go with physarrista, though it was very hard to choose. What won out in the end was thinking of standing in that stream over that sheer drop. Lots of beautiful shots this time, so it took a little extra something to tip the scales.

enie, menie, minie, mo...

You guys are still killin' me hear, more coffee and asprin...

Oh, geez, they're all absolutely gorgeous and perfect! Since I can't decide based on view, composition, skill, or fit with the theme, because they all qualifty, my vote is going to physarrista for bravery. Going the extra distance and putting one's life on the line to get the perfect shot should qualify for something, and in this case, it qualifies for my vote.

OK, next time I'm going to make up a story that I took a picture while running in high heels on the edge of a cliff and being chased by a pack of wolves.

:)

Zz.

Every picture is a winner!
Yes - indeed! :approve:

Please vote for the picture that best represents our theme, which is a valley.
It seems they all do that. :rolleyes:

I've been to the same spot as Janus, and I probably have somewhere a nearly identical photograph along the Yosemite valley.

This is ridiculous I can't choose. I must go think.

Moonbear said:
Oh, geez, they're all absolutely gorgeous and perfect! Since I can't decide based on view, composition, skill, or fit with the theme, because they all qualifty, my vote is going to physarrista for bravery. Going the extra distance and putting one's life on the line to get the perfect shot should qualify for something, and in this case, it qualifies for my vote.

Would've it helped if I had told you that this picture was taken during the first long road trip we took with my daughter? She was about 20 mo. old at the time, and to keep her entertained I made a tape of songs from a Sesame Street video. That tape played almost constantly the whole trip. I don't know how many times I heard C is For Cookie!

Not exactly putting one's life on the line, but...

I went with hypnagogue because the rock colour is truly outstanding and that lone person standing atop the rocks truly gives a sense of proportion that gets lost without a comparative. Not to say that the rest of the photos aren't spectacular, because they truly are. It was a tough decision.

Janus had me at hello...hello...hello...

(get it?)

Someone put me at gunpoint, and then I'll choose a picture.

Why do you guys make it so tough? I wish political elections were like this.

Astronuc's picture is not showing up for me, so I will wait until it shows up, but this will probably only make the decision harder.

Astronucs isn't showing up for me either. I still can't decide.

mattmns said:
Astronuc's picture is not showing up for me, so I will wait until it shows up, but this will probably only make the decision harder.

scorpa said:
Astronucs isn't showing up for me either. I still can't decide.

Nothing new there; just another amazing picture. :biggrin:

Mine seems to be showing up now. I think there was a glitch in the imageshack server. I won't feel bad if mine doesn't get a vote - really. :smile:

I just wanted to round it out and match hypnagogue's picture from Bryce Canyon, which is near Zion NP.

They are all great photos and wonderful places to see in person. :approve:

I voted for physsarista's photo - but it was an excruciating decision. :cry:

I'm still wondering where that is - near Grenoble or the Swiss border. I definitely want to visit that place, as well as those that I have not seen in person yet.

This is a reminder that you have less than 2 days left to vote in this difficult contest. It is extremely tight right now, so every vote counts!

Zz.

I went with Hypnagogue but it was nearly an impossible decision.

I went with Zz because of the colors and the lush green valley. Hypnagogue would get my vote for cliffs, that is a stunning picture.

Funny, when Janus posted, I said "that's going to get my vote!" Then when I saw Monique's I said "that's going to get my vote!" Then Zz posted...

Janus where is your picture taken, it looks like its from the same place as the one from the mountain contest? It looks like the type of place I would like to eventually visit.

I decided to go with physarrista. But everyone had great pics!

Last day to vote this this contest! Your vote counts!

Zz.

trajan22 said:
Janus where is your picture taken, it looks like its from the same place as the one from the mountain contest? It looks like the type of place I would like to eventually visit.

This picture was taken at Yosemite National Park in CA. The Mountain picture was taken at the Mount St. Helens National Monument in WA, they are about 800 mi from each other.

Oh wow, well I guess that's two places I need to go. :)
Great pics though.

Hey Zapper,
this was close to Grenoble, about 30 minutes away by car.
My friends told me the route we took was called "path of death", but I'm pretty shure that wasn't its official name.

I can ask them for specifics, if you're interested..

physarrista said:
Hey Zapper,
this was close to Grenoble, about 30 minutes away by car.
My friends told me the route we took was called "path of death", but I'm pretty shure that wasn't its official name.

I can ask them for specifics, if you're interested..
Ah ha! I'm definitely interested.

Ha ha! It's currently a 3-way tie! No surprise there!

Moonbear said:
Ha ha! It's currently a 3-way tie! No surprise there!

Currently? The contest is over, and it is a 3-way tie!

mattmns said:
Currently? The contest is over, and it is a 3-way tie!

I hadn't noticed the poll was already closed when I posted (unless it closed soon after). Yep, 3-way tie! Wow! Will we have a run-off vote on this one, or do they all win first prize?

Moonbear said:
I hadn't noticed the poll was already closed when I posted (unless it closed soon after). Yep, 3-way tie! Wow! Will we have a run-off vote on this one, or do they all win first prize?

They all win first "prize". In this contest, the more winners we have, the merrier.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
They all win first "prize". In this contest, the more winners we have, the merrier.

Zz.

Wow, then you have a second place winner and a tie for third place too. Maybe we should give an honorable mention to the only two left so they aren't left out. :biggrin:

This one may need to be a sticky by itself...

1. What is the purpose of the "Ain't No Valley Low Enough" photo contest?

The purpose of the "Ain't No Valley Low Enough" photo contest is to raise awareness and support for environmental conservation efforts in valleys around the world. The contest aims to showcase the beauty and importance of these valleys through photography and encourage people to take action to protect them.

2. Who can participate in the "Ain't No Valley Low Enough" photo contest?

The contest is open to anyone who is interested in photography and passionate about environmental conservation. There are no age or location restrictions for participants.

3. How can I submit my photo for the "Ain't No Valley Low Enough" photo contest?

To submit your photo, you can visit the official contest website and follow the instructions for submission. Make sure to read the guidelines and requirements carefully before submitting your entry.

4. Can I submit more than one photo for the "Ain't No Valley Low Enough" photo contest?

Yes, you can submit multiple photos for the contest as long as each photo meets the guidelines and requirements. However, each participant is only eligible to win one prize.

5. How are the winners of the "Ain't No Valley Low Enough" photo contest selected?

The winners will be selected by a panel of judges based on the creativity, originality, and relevance to the theme of the photo. The judges will also consider the technical quality of the photo. The winners will be announced on the official contest website and social media pages.