Wackerly/Mendenhall/Schaeffer Problem 2.74: Double the Probability?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ackbach
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, we are given the probabilities of a lie detector showing a positive reading when a person is telling the truth and when they are lying. We also know that one of two suspects is guilty. The probability that the detector shows a positive reading for both suspects is $P = P(IL|L)\cdot P(IL|\overline{L}) = 0.095$. This assumes that the events $IL|L$ and $IL|\overline{L}$ are independent, and that the set of all possible events has a probability of 1. It is also important to note that these probabilities hold regardless of whether the suspects are guilty or innocent.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
Problem: A lie detector will show a positive reading (indicate a lie) $10\%$ of the time when a person is telling the truth and $95\%$ of the time when the person is lying. Suppose two people are suspects in a one-person crime and (for certain) one is guilty.

What is the probability that the detector shows a positive reading for both suspects?

Answer: Let $L$ be the event that a suspect is lying, and let $IL$ be the event that a lie detector indicates a lie. We are given the following probabilities:
\begin{align*}
P(IL|L)&=0.95 \\
P(IL|\overline{L})&=0.1.
\end{align*}
Moreover, we may assume that the innocent suspect is telling the truth, and the guilty suspect is lying. We do not know which suspect is guilty and which is innocent, presumably. We may infer that
\begin{align*}
P(\overline{IL}|L)&=0.05 \\
P(\overline{IL}|\overline{L})&=0.9.
\end{align*}

Here's my question: since we don't know which suspect is innocent and which is guilty, should we multiply $P(IL|L) \cdot P(IL| \overline{L})$ by two, since there are two ways to assign the guilty and innocent suspects? Or am I overthinking it here? I'm probably missing something obvious.

Thanks for your time!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ackbach said:
Problem: A lie detector will show a positive reading (indicate a lie) $10\%$ of the time when a person is telling the truth and $95\%$ of the time when the person is lying. Suppose two people are suspects in a one-person crime and (for certain) one is guilty.

What is the probability that the detector shows a positive reading for both suspects?

Answer: Let $L$ be the event that a suspect is lying, and let $IL$ be the event that a lie detector indicates a lie. We are given the following probabilities:
\begin{align*}
P(IL|L)&=0.95 \\
P(IL|\overline{L})&=0.1.
\end{align*}
Moreover, we may assume that the innocent suspect is telling the truth, and the guilty suspect is lying. We do not know which suspect is guilty and which is innocent, presumably. We may infer that
\begin{align*}
P(\overline{IL}|L)&=0.05 \\
P(\overline{IL}|\overline{L})&=0.9.
\end{align*}

Here's my question: since we don't know which suspect is innocent and which is guilty, should we multiply $P(IL|L) \cdot P(IL| \overline{L})$ by two, since there are two ways to assign the guilty and innocent suspects? Or am I overthinking it here? I'm probably missing something obvious.

Thanks for your time!

We have to find the probability of the union of two separate events, one with probability $P_{1}= P(IL|L)=.95$ and the other with probability $P_{2} = P(IL|\overline {L}) = .1$. The requested probability is $P = P_{1}\ P_{2} = .095$. You can easilily verify that considering that the set of all possible events has probability $P_{T} = P_{1}\ P_{2} + P_{1}\ (1 - P_{2}) + P_{2}\ (1 - P_{1}) + (1 - P_{1})\ (1 - P_{2}) = 1$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Do we know that the guilty person will lie and the innocent person won't?

chisigma said:
We have to find the probability of the union

Did you mean "intersection" here?

of two separate events, one with probability $P_{1}= P(IL|L)=.95$ and the other with probability $P_{2} = P(IL|\overline {L}) = .1$. The requested probability is $P = P_{1}\ P_{2} = .095$.

This assumes that $IL|\overline{L}$ and $IL|L$ are independent events. Is that correct?

You can easily verify that considering that the set of all possible events has probability $P_{T} = P_{1}\ P_{2} + P_{1}\ (1 - P_{2}) + P_{2}\ (1 - P_{1}) + (1 - P_{1})\ (1 - P_{2}) = 1$...

That's true of independent events, correct? Is it also true that if the equation you wrote down holds, the events must be independent?

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Random Variable said:
Do we know that the guilty person will lie and the innocent person won't?

I am assuming that. Presumably the guilty one would not want to go to jail, and would lie to get out of it.

Ackbach said:
a)Did you mean "intersection" here?...

b) This assumes that $IL|\overline{L}$ and $IL|L$ are independent events. Is that correct?...

c) That's true of independent events, correct?... Is it also true that if the equation you wrote down holds, the events must be independent?...

a) I apologize but in fact set theory has ever been troublesome for me, so that I confuse 'union' and 'intersection'... 'intersection' is correct...

b) Yes!... it is implicit in the definition You have done...

c) Non necessarly!... we have simply two different events, the first with probability $P_{1}$ to be KO and $1-P_{1}$ to be OK, the second with probability $P_{2}$ to be KO and $1-P_{2}$ to be OK, and the probability of the overall set of possibilities must be 1...

It is important to note that all that is true no matter if the questioned people are 'guilty' or 'innocent'...Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Wackerly/Mendenhall/Schaeffer Problem 2.74: Double the Probability?

1. What is the formula for calculating the double probability?

The formula for calculating the double probability is P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B), where P(A) and P(B) are the individual probabilities of events A and B, and P(A and B) is the probability of both events occurring together.

2. How is double probability different from regular probability?

Double probability takes into account the possibility of two events occurring simultaneously, while regular probability only considers the likelihood of one event occurring.

3. Can the double probability ever be greater than 1?

No, the double probability cannot be greater than 1. This is because the maximum probability of an event occurring is 1, and adding two probabilities together can only result in a maximum of 2. Subtracting the probability of both events occurring together ensures that the double probability remains within the range of 0 to 1.

4. How can the double probability be used in real-life scenarios?

The double probability can be used to calculate the likelihood of two events happening together, such as the probability of a student passing two exams on the same day. It can also be used in risk assessment, for example, determining the probability of a car accident occurring while driving in the rain and talking on the phone.

5. Is there a specific order in which the individual probabilities should be added?

No, there is no specific order in which the individual probabilities should be added. The formula for double probability is commutative, meaning that the order in which the probabilities are added does not affect the final result.