Probability that we get totally at most 30 times "head"

In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of a coin toss, the number of tosses needed for a certain probability, and the calculation of probabilities with a given number of tosses. The Bernoulli distribution and the central limit theorem are mentioned. The correct calculations are provided for the number of tosses needed and the probability of getting a certain number of heads.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

A fair coin is tossed $ n $ times; $ X_i = 1 $ denotes the event that "head" appears in the $ i $-th toss.

a) How are the single toss $X_i$, $=1, \ldots , n$, distributed?

b) How many toss are needed so that the proportion of "head" $\overline{X}_n$ is in the interval $0, 45 < \overline{X}_n < 0, 55$ with probability $90\%$ ?

c) Given that the coin is tossed $100$ times, determine the probability that we get totally at most $30$ times "head".

I have done the following:

a) Each $X_i$ is Bernoulli distributed, since we either have success or not.

b) Let $\overline{X} = \frac{1}{n}(X_1 + X_2+ \ldots +X_n)$. According to the zentral limit theorem $\overline{X}$ approximates the normal distribution for large $n$ with parameters \begin{equation*}E(\overline{X})=\frac{1}{2}=0.5 \ \text{ and } \ V(\overline{X})=\frac{\sigma_X^2}{n}=\frac{\left (\frac{1}{4}\right )^2}{n}=\frac{1}{16n}\Rightarrow \sigma_{\overline{X}}=\frac{1}{4\sqrt{n}}\end{equation*}

Therefore, so that it hods $0, 45 < \overline{X}_n < 0, 55$ with probability $90\%$, we have the following:
\begin{align*}P\left (0,45<\overline{X}_n<0,55\right )\geq 90\% &\Rightarrow \Phi \left (\frac{0.55-0.5}{\frac{1}{4\sqrt{n}}}\right )-\Phi \left (\frac{0.45-0.5}{\frac{1}{4\sqrt{n}}}\right )\geq 0.9 \\ & \Rightarrow \Phi \left (0.2\sqrt{2}\right )-\Phi \left (-0.2\sqrt{n}\right )\geq 0.9\\ & \Rightarrow 2\Phi \left (0.2\sqrt{2}\right )\geq 1.9 \\ & \Rightarrow \Phi \left (0.2\sqrt{2}\right )\geq 0.95 \\ & \Rightarrow 0.2\sqrt{n}\geq 1.65 \\ & \Rightarrow n\geq \frac{1089}{16}=8.25 \end{align*}

So, we need at least 9 toss.
Is everything correct s far? At c) do we define the random variable $Z:=n\cdot \overline{X}_n$ with $n=100$ and calculate the probability $P(Z\leq 30)$ ?

If yes, I must have somewhere a mistake, because I get the following:

We have that \begin{equation*}E(Z)=E(100\overline{X}_{100})=100\cdot E(\overline{X}_{100})=100\cdot 0.5=50\end{equation*} nd \begin{equation*}V(Z)=Z(100\overline{X}_{100})=100^2\cdot V(\overline{X}_{100})=10000\cdot \frac{1}{16\cdot 100}=\frac{25}{4}=6.25\end{equation*}

So $Z\sim N(50, 6.25)$.

The probability that we are looking for is then equal to \begin{equation*}P(Z\leq 30)=\Phi \left (\frac{30-50}{\sqrt{6.25}}\right )=\Phi \left (\frac{-20}{2.5}\right )=\Phi \left (-8\right )=1-\Phi (8)\end{equation*}

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mathmari!

That looks all correct to me.
How come that you think there is a mistake? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
That looks all correct to me.
How come that you think there is a mistake? (Wondering)

I thought so because we have $\Phi (8)$ so a very big argument, that doesn't exist in a table of normal distribution. At such a table the largest number converge to $1$. Does this mean that $\Phi (8)\approx 1$ and so $P(Z\leq 30)\approx 1-1=0$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
b) Let $\overline{X} = \frac{1}{n}(X_1 + X_2+ \ldots +X_n)$. According to the zentral limit theorem $\overline{X}$ approximates the normal distribution for large $n$ with parameters \begin{equation*}E(\overline{X})=\frac{1}{2}=0.5 \ \text{ and } \ V(\overline{X})=\frac{\sigma_X^2}{n}=\frac{\left (\frac{1}{4}\right )^2}{n}=\frac{1}{16n}\Rightarrow \sigma_{\overline{X}}=\frac{1}{4\sqrt{n}}\end{equation*}

Shouldn't we have $\sigma_X^2=\frac 14$ instead of $\sigma_X^2 =(\frac 14)^2$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Shouldn't we have $\sigma_X^2=\frac 14$ instead of $\sigma_X^2 =(\frac 14)^2$? (Wondering)

Oh yes. (Blush)

So, we have the following:
\begin{equation*}E(\overline{X})=\frac{1}{2}=0.5 \ \text{ and } \ V(\overline{X})=\frac{\sigma_X^2}{n}=\frac{\frac{1}{4}}{n}=\frac{1}{4n}\Rightarrow \sigma_{\overline{X}}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{n}}\end{equation*}

So, we get that
\begin{align*}P\left (0,45<\overline{X}_n<0,55\right )\geq 90\% &\Rightarrow \Phi \left (\frac{0.55-0.5}{\frac{1}{2\sqrt{n}}}\right )-\Phi \left (\frac{0.45-0.5}{\frac{1}{2\sqrt{n}}}\right )\geq 0.9 \\ & \Rightarrow \Phi \left (0.1\sqrt{n}\right )-\Phi \left (-0.1\sqrt{n}\right )\geq 0.9 \\ & \Rightarrow \Phi \left (0.1\sqrt{n}\right )-\left [1-\Phi \left (0.1\sqrt{n}\right )\right ]\geq 0.9 \\ & \Rightarrow \Phi \left (0.1\sqrt{n}\right )-1+\Phi \left (0.1\sqrt{n}\right )\geq 0.9 \\ & \Rightarrow 2\Phi \left (0.1\sqrt{n}\right )\geq 1.9 \\ & \Rightarrow \Phi \left (0.1\sqrt{n}\right )\geq 0.95 \\ & \Rightarrow 0.1\sqrt{n}\geq 1.65 \\ & \Rightarrow n\geq 272.25\end{align*}

So, at least $273$ toss have to be done.
Then, we have that \begin{equation*}E(Z)=E(100\overline{X}_{100})=100\cdot E(\overline{X}_{100})=100\cdot 0.5=50\end{equation*} and \begin{equation*}V(Z)=Z(100\overline{X}_{100})=100^2\cdot V(\overline{X}_{100})=10000\cdot \frac{1}{4\cdot 100}=25\end{equation*}

Therefore, $Z\sim N(50, 25)$.

So, the probability is equal to \begin{equation*}P(Z\leq 30)=\Phi \left (\frac{30-50}{\sqrt{25}}\right )=\Phi \left (\frac{-20}{5}\right )=\Phi \left (-4\right )=1-\Phi (4)\approx 1-1=0\end{equation*}
Is everything correct now? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good to me! (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Looks good to me! (Nod)

Great! Thank you very much! (Yes)

1. What is the definition of "probability"?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that a specific event will occur. It is often represented as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is the probability of an event calculated?

In order to calculate the probability of an event, we divide the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical definition of probability.

3. What does "getting totally at most 30 times head" mean?

Getting totally at most 30 times head means that in a series of coin tosses, the number of times the coin lands on heads is at most 30. This includes any number less than or equal to 30, such as 0, 15, or 30.

4. How do you calculate the probability of getting totally at most 30 times head?

To calculate the probability of getting totally at most 30 times head, we need to know the total number of possible outcomes and the number of desired outcomes. For example, if we toss a coin 50 times, the total number of possible outcomes is 2^50 (2 to the power of 50). The desired outcomes would be any outcome where the number of heads is at most 30. We can use this information to calculate the probability using the classical definition.

5. What factors can affect the probability of getting totally at most 30 times head?

The probability of getting totally at most 30 times head can be affected by the number of coin tosses, the fairness of the coin, and the independence of each toss. In addition, the probability can also be influenced by external factors such as weather conditions or the person tossing the coin. These factors should be considered when calculating the probability of a specific event.