Walking up a hill physics work

In summary, the man walks up a hill and stops. He is 10 vertical meters higher than when he started. The Work done by him on the bag is the same as the Work done by gravity on the bag.
Atilla1982
A man is carrying a bag that weighs 10 kg. He's walking up a hill, when he stops he is 10 vertical meters higher. g = 9,8. I now have to find the work that's been done on the bag. I have W = m*g*d
How do I find d?

Physics news on Phys.org
d is the displacement against the force of gravity. Gravity acts in the vertical direction.

I recommend you actually learn what the letters really mean instead of just plugging things into formulas.

you mean that its mass is 10kg?
in the work equation, you have to find the distance in the direction of the force.

yes it's mass is 10kg. I know what displacement is, but he's not just moving in the vertical, but also the horizontal. His start coordinates are (0,0) and at the end (?,10). Surely it's not only the vertical displacement that I have to find? Or am I wrong?

It says
when he stops he is 10 vertical meters higher

10 VERTICAL meters higher, start = (x1,y), end = (x2,y+10)

Is there any resistance in the horizontal displacement. Is a force needed to move in that direction? You only need the distance in the direction of the applied force.

Ok, so the horizontal displacement does not count here? The work done by the man on the bag is the same as the work done by gravity on the bag?
Thanks for taking the time to help me.

No, there's no friction. I asked because he's walking upwards with an angle. But if I only need the vertical displacement, then it's piece of cake.

NO!

The Work done by the man is POSITIVE,
since the Force by the man is in the SAME sense of direction as the motion.
The Work done by gravity is NEGATIVE,
since gravity is in the OPPOSITE sense of diraction as the motion.

Only the Force component PARALLEL to the motion does any Work. or,
Work is only done thru the displacement component PARALLEL to the Force.

Related to Walking up a hill physics work

What is the physics behind walking up a hill?

Walking up a hill primarily involves the transfer of potential energy to kinetic energy. As you lift your body against gravity, your potential energy increases. When you take a step, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy that propels you forward.

Why does walking up a hill require more effort?

Walking up a hill requires more effort because you are working against gravity. The steeper the incline of the hill, the more energy you need to expend to overcome gravity and move your body upwards.

What factors affect the amount of energy needed to walk up a hill?

The amount of energy needed to walk up a hill is affected by several factors, including the steepness and length of the hill, your body weight, and your physical fitness level.

How does friction play a role in walking up a hill?

Friction plays a crucial role in walking up a hill as it provides the necessary traction for your feet to push against the ground and propel you forward. Without friction, it would be challenging to walk up a hill and maintain your balance.

Is walking up a hill a form of exercise?

Yes, walking up a hill can be considered a form of exercise as it requires your muscles to work against gravity, which can help build strength and endurance. It also increases your heart rate and burns calories, making it a beneficial activity for physical health.