Walter Cronkite rips Bush's record

• News
  • Thread starter Tsu
  • Start date
In summary: I like how a legend in the News business is suddenly an untrustworthy liberal. This is typical of the right-wing: Sie sind für uns oder gegen uns!The magic of labels in the masses.I like how a legend in the News business is suddenly an untrustworthy liberal. Isn't that a tautology?I think that prerequisite for being a right-winger is having a paranoid conspiracy complex.I think the prequisite for talking about the opposite wing of the spectrum you place yourself in is to use the 'conspiracy' prefix for something nasty.I think that from the extreme left, the center looks like the right.
Tsu
Gold Member
What America needs right now, legendary TV anchor Walter Cronkite said Thursday, is a new election -- and, he warned a laughing press conference full of reporters, he wasn't kidding.

''That's not entirely a joke,'' Cronkite said solemnly, arguing that the Bush administration has spent itself into ruin while embroiling the country in a war that will eventually make public revulsion to the war in Vietnam look ``like peanuts.''

''I think you journalists today have a great four years ahead of you,'' Cronkite observed dryly. ``It's going to be a great story to cover.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/nation/10219750.htm?1c

Physics news on Phys.org
You're just trying to be as inflammatory as you can tonight aren't you? Well its working, you've really worked me up into an ire.

Honestly is there a point to this thread beyond the obvious attempt to create fighting, over one celebrity's opinion?

I very much think this qualifies as trolling.

And a day or two before the election, I saw Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. predict that not only would Kerry win, but that it would be a landslide.

It's refreshing to see established and informed journalists, such as Mr. Cronkite, give their perpective on these times. He has seen a lot of history of politics these past 50 years...

franznietzsche said:
You're just trying to be as inflammatory as you can tonight aren't you? Well its working, you've really worked me up into an ire.

Honestly is there a point to this thread beyond the obvious attempt to create fighting, over one celebrity's opinion?

I very much think this qualifies as trolling.

your reply doesn't address Mr. Cronkite's statement...if you don't like what has been said, perhaps you need to comment on the topic at hand rather then whine about how easily you get fired up...

Kerrie said:
It's refreshing to see established and informed journalists, such as Mr. Cronkite, give their perpective on these times. He has seen a lot of history of politics these past 50 years...

your reply doesn't address Mr. Cronkite's statement...if you don't like what has been said, perhaps you need to comment on the topic at hand rather then whine about how easily you get fired up...

Actually i was commenting on the trend of tsu's thread topicsall night. I don't consider cronkite's opinion relevant, simply because it is an opinion.

Well, then your opinion that Cronkite's opinion is irrelevant because its an opinion makes your opinion of that opinion irrelevant because its an opinion;
so SHUT IT!

Smurf said:
Well, then your opinion that Cronkite's opinion is irrelevant because its an opinion makes your opinion of that opinion irrelevant because its an opinion;
so SHUT IT!

PRECISELY!

At least one person gets it.

franznietzsche said:
PRECISELY!

At least one person gets it.

wow, i think smurf was addressing his last comment to you about shutting it...so who really gets it?

politics have a lot to do with opinions really...

I like how a legend in the News business is suddenly an untrustworthy liberal. This is typical of the right-wing: Sie sind für uns oder gegen uns!

The magic of labels in the masses.

Ivan Seeking said:
I like how a legend in the News business is suddenly an untrustworthy liberal.
Isn't that a tautology?

I think that prerequisite for being a right-winger is having a paranoid conspiracy complex.

I think the prequisite for talking about the opposite wing of the spectrum you place yourself in is to use the 'conspiracy' prefix for something nasty.

I think that from the extreme left, the center looks like the right.

russ_watters said:
I think that from the extreme left, the center looks like the right.
And you, by definition, are the center.~^

How big would your head have to be for you to be able to make it seem like the right thing to do to use great social skills to get your son to have a 60/40 chance of being president out of 300 million people? Or how big would your head have to be to accept your father's social skill to give you 60/40 odds of being president out of 300 million?
I still think they are good presidents for the times I don't have anything personally against them, no one does bad willingly...maybe morals don't matter so much, maybe it's best just to have someone in office most like the common people, maybe people just vote for whoever is most like themselves to the point that even bad people can look like good people to a bad person, or they don't vote because it's such a rigged system these days that they could do more justice to helping the country by not wasting the paper. Cronkite kicks ass though.

Related to Walter Cronkite rips Bush's record

1. Who is Walter Cronkite?

Walter Cronkite was a highly respected American broadcast journalist and anchorman, often referred to as the "most trusted man in America." He hosted the CBS Evening News from 1962 to 1981, reporting on major events and issues of the time.

2. What does it mean to "rip" someone's record?

To "rip" someone's record means to criticize or speak negatively about their past actions, decisions, or performance.

3. What was the context of Walter Cronkite's criticism of Bush's record?

In 2004, Walter Cronkite publicly criticized President George W. Bush's record on the Iraq War and other policies, stating that he had "lost faith in the words of the president" and that he believed the war was a mistake.

4. How did the public react to Cronkite's criticism?

Cronkite's comments sparked a lot of debate and discussion, with some people supporting his views and others criticizing him for speaking out against the president. However, many people also respected Cronkite's opinion and saw him as a credible source of information.

5. What impact did Cronkite's criticism have on Bush's presidency?

It is difficult to determine the exact impact of Cronkite's criticism on Bush's presidency. However, it did add to the growing public opposition to the Iraq War and may have influenced some voters in the 2004 presidential election. It also brought attention to the growing dissatisfaction with the Bush administration's handling of the war and other issues.