Want a up counter but have a down counter

• Thread starter ckaiser813
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counter
In summary, an up counter counts from a lower value to a higher value, while a down counter counts from a higher value to a lower value. Yes, you can convert a down counter into an up counter by changing the direction of the count and adjusting the starting and ending values. A down counter can be useful in situations where you want to count down to a specific value, such as a timer or countdown, and it also allows for easier input of the desired ending value. However, one limitation of using a down counter is that it may be more difficult to visualize the count and keep track of the current value. To switch between up and down counting, you can use conditional statements in the code. This can be useful in situations where both
ckaiser813
I can't figure out why? I inverted every CLK signal and nothing happens I switch every Q' to Q and nothing works help, me its a 8 bit up counter but Its counting down I have 3 jks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you're going to have to post your circuit before we can help you.

never mind figured it out

Related to Want a up counter but have a down counter

1. How does an up counter differ from a down counter?

An up counter counts from a lower value to a higher value, while a down counter counts from a higher value to a lower value.

2. Can I convert a down counter into an up counter?

Yes, you can convert a down counter into an up counter by simply changing the direction of the count and adjusting the starting and ending values.

3. Why would I want to use a down counter instead of an up counter?

A down counter can be useful in situations where you want to count down to a specific value, such as a timer or countdown. It also allows for easier input of the desired ending value.

4. Are there any limitations to using a down counter instead of an up counter?

One limitation of using a down counter is that it may be more difficult to visualize the count and keep track of the current value, as the numbers are decreasing instead of increasing.

5. Can I program a counter to switch between up and down counting?

Yes, you can program a counter to switch between up and down counting by using conditional statements in the code. This can be useful in situations where you need both types of counting in a single program.