Want to learn a lot but have no money

• Thread starter ice109
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary: I think the gist is that if you have good grades and demonstrate financial need, you should be able to get financial aid to attend school.
ice109
So I'm finally at a university and I'm being exposed to so many interesting things that I feel like I want to take so many classes before moving on to grad school. The annoying thing is that I basically have no money. I'm able to attend because of federal grants and student loans. I don't know when the grants will run out but I'm sure it will be within a couple of semesters and conceivably I could go further into debt, and I will if I have to, but of course that's not very appealing. Basically I need some ideas on how to pay for my undergrad credits. I know graduate students get funding and I was wondering if such a thing is possible for undergrads.

I'm a decent student, my graduating GPA on my AA is 3.62 and I see no reason why I won't be making dean's list here at Uni, but I don't think I'm spectacular enough to obtain any really competitive scholarships. I'm also aware that work is an option and the ironic part is that for basically my entire AA I did work, feverishly, because I wasn't aware of Financial Aid. But at this point I feel like I want and need to devote as much of my time as possible to studies.

What I did in High School and why I didn't get any scholarships after graduating is a moot point just in case someone decides to bring it up.

If my major is of any relevance I'm immediately declared physics but most likely at the end of the semester I'll switch to math.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
University GPA tends to be lower than CC GPA. Work your butt off and use office hours like mad if you want to keep that.

Undergraduate funding isn't that hard to get in my experience, especially not in "STEM" fields (science/tech/engineering/math). I don't have any spectacular credentials, but I can write a good personal statement essay...which has put me through my first three years of college with no loans while flirting with the financial need cap. There are a lot of aid sources that you only find out about by having good contacts in your institution. For example, there are a number of grants where the money comes from the federal government, but it's administered by a committee at your institution.

asphodel you have a private message

ice,

I'm also in your situation, but I don't believe federal grants just disappear if you don't complete your degree in 4 years. For instance, I've been going to school since 2003, took a year off for medical reasons and now I still have about 4 semesters left (because I'm transferring and because of my co-op it put me behind even more).

Scholarships are the same way, my GPA is 3.67, and the scholarships keep rolling in.

Being in fin. need, and having a high GPA means $$$.

I didn't even have to sign up for half my scholarships, my GPA qualified me for them through the University and one semester I noticed I didn't have to pay for school anymore, its a wonderful thing.

"the price of tuition, is attentiveness."

mathwonk said:
"the price of tuition, is attentiveness."

very nice platitude but it's simply not true. nothing is free. there's no program in the world that will "teach" you and not expect something back, such as research participation etc. I highly doubt there's a way for me to just go to school and learn stuff for the rest of my life and never have to actually produce something.

as usual, i have been set right by wiser heads.

on the other hand, if no one has offered you free tuition, perhaps you have not been paying attention?

i am reminded of a remark of gurdjieff, a pragmatic but mystical teacher, to the effect that you have to charge the average person for his education, so he will think he is getting something worthwhile.

but having re - read your post, what is the harm in doing some research to earn tuition? do you not benefit?

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
as usual, i have been set right by wiser heads.

on the other hand, if no one has offered you free tuition, perhaps you have not been paying attention?

i am reminded of a remark of gurdjieff, a pragmatic but mystical teacher, to the effect that you have to charge the average person for his education, so he will think he is getting something worthwhile.

but having re - read your post, what is the harm in doing some research to earn tuition? do you not benefit?

none what so ever. the only reason i mentioned is because your post implied i could get an education just because i was "attentive".

I liked it, but then again my tuition is being paid largely by paying attention. Also directly influences grades, which can influence keeping said financial aid.

Most of the federal stuff cuts you off after five years. But then you get to switch over graduate aid which pays stipends...;) Okay, you also end up having to do substantially more work to keep it.

what was i thinking?

Last edited:

Related to Want to learn a lot but have no money

1. How can I learn a lot without spending money?

There are many ways to learn without spending money, such as utilizing free online resources, borrowing books from the library, attending free workshops or seminars, and networking with knowledgeable individuals. Additionally, many universities and organizations offer free or low-cost courses and programs for individuals on a budget.

2. Are there any free online courses available for learning?

Yes, there are numerous free online courses available from reputable universities and organizations. These courses cover a wide range of topics and can be found on platforms such as Coursera, edX, and Khan Academy. Some courses even offer certificates of completion for a small fee.

3. How can I gain practical experience without spending money?

Volunteering, internships, and job shadowing are great ways to gain practical experience without spending money. These opportunities allow you to learn from professionals in your desired field and gain hands-on experience. Additionally, you can try creating your own projects or joining online communities to collaborate with others and gain practical skills.

4. Are there any scholarships or grants available for learning?

Yes, there are many scholarships and grants available for individuals looking to further their education or gain new skills. These can be found through universities, organizations, and government programs. It's important to research and apply for these opportunities early, as they are often competitive.

5. Can I teach myself new skills without spending money?

Yes, with determination and discipline, you can teach yourself new skills without spending money. There are countless tutorials, videos, and articles available online for almost any topic. Additionally, joining online communities or finding a mentor can provide valuable guidance and support in your self-learning journey.