Wanting to study Functions from scratch for my Calculus preparation

In summary, studying Functions from scratch is essential for preparing for Calculus. By starting from the basics, one can develop a strong foundation and understanding of the concept, which is crucial for tackling more complex problems in Calculus. This approach allows for a more comprehensive understanding of Functions and its applications, making it easier to excel in Calculus.
mark2142
Does Precalculus by James Stewart teaches function from scratch ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you say more about what you are looking for in a Precalculus textbook? What kind of functions?

If you search on the textbook at Amazon, you can use their "Look Inside" feature to view the Table of Contents and other brief summaries of the content:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1305071751/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Function that is taught in algebra I and II I suppose.

Like trig functions, exponential functions, infinite series, and similar?

Did you try the "Look Inside" feature at Amazon yet?

Actually I want to revise algebra 1 and 2 and move forward. Learn new maths. But I don’t want to buy new book. I was thinking if this book will do the job for a while?
(I am tired of buying books)

mark2142 said:
Mark,

you have asked many pre-calculus questions in regards topics and books. The best course of action is to read and work through the pre-calculus book...

Likes mark2142
mark2142 said:
Yes, chapter 2 covers functions from the beginning

• Love
Likes mark2142
MidgetDwarf said:
Mark,

you have asked many pre-calculus questions in regards topics and books. The best course of action is to read and work through the pre-calculus book...
But I asked one question regarding books.
Muu9 said:
Yes, chapter 2 covers functions from the beginning
That’s a relief.
I prepare myself that now I’ll complete this or that book and will pursue my journey to learn science. I start the book and then I leave because the math is above my level. So I go buying new book. And then this cycle repeats. I start and then I leave. It has happened a lot. I think I have to learn and revise maths from beginning if I want to excel in physics. Everywhere there is calculus and I need to understand this calculus if I want to understand any physics topic. For that I have to go through Precalculus first. And for learning that I need to go through algebra 1 and 2. It’s a relief that algebra 1 and 2 are covered in Precalculus.
Thanks.

Last edited:
mark2142 said:
But I asked one question regarding books.

That’s a relief.
I prepare myself that now I’ll complete this or that book and will pursue my journey to learn science. I start the book and then I leave because the math is above my level. So I go buying new book. And then this cycle repeats. I start and then I leave. It has happened a lot. I think I have to learn and revise maths from beginning if I want to excel in physics. Everywhere there is calculus and I need to understand this calculus if I want to understand any physics topic. For that I have to go through Precalculus first. And for learning that I need to go through algebra 1 and 2. It’s a relief that algebra 1 and 2 are covered in Precalculus.
Thanks.
maybe you can benefit by using something like Aleks, and working through your book.

MidgetDwarf said:
maybe you can benefit by using something like Aleks, and working through your book.
It usually costs money, but you can get access to it for free through this edx course: https://www.edx.org/course/precalculus

1. What is the importance of studying functions in calculus?

Functions are an essential concept in calculus as they help us understand the relationship between two variables and how they change in relation to each other. They are also used to model real-world situations and solve complex problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the basic types of functions that I should know for calculus?

The basic types of functions you should know for calculus include linear, quadratic, polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. These functions have different properties and behaviors, which are important to understand for solving calculus problems.

3. How can I learn functions from scratch for my calculus preparation?

The best way to learn functions from scratch for calculus preparation is to start with the basics and gradually build your knowledge. You can begin by understanding the definition of a function, its notation, and how to evaluate and graph simple functions. Then, move on to more complex functions and their properties.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when studying functions for calculus?

Some common mistakes to avoid when studying functions for calculus include confusing the independent and dependent variables, not understanding the domain and range of a function, and not recognizing the different forms of a function (e.g. standard form, vertex form). It is important to pay attention to details and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of functions in calculus?

You can apply your knowledge of functions in calculus to solve a variety of problems, such as finding the slope and intercepts of a line, determining the maximum or minimum value of a function, and finding the rate of change of a quantity. Functions are also used in integration and differentiation, which are fundamental concepts in calculus.