Warren's Cannonball Launch Velocity?

In summary, Warren, who weighs 70 kg, is shot out of a cannon at a 25 degree angle above the horizontal. The cannon barrel tip is 1.34m above the ground and the cannon itself has a mass of 203kg. The problem is missing some information, specifically the range, and the student is unsure of the equations needed to solve for Warren's initial launch velocity. However, after consulting with their professor, the student received an A+ on their homework assignment.
Brady Aucoin

Homework Statement

Warren weights 70 kg and is shot out of a cannon at 25 degrees above the horizontal. the cannon barrel tip is 1.34m above the ground and the cannon has a mass of 203kg.
What is Warren's initial launch velocity?

Homework Equations

I don't even know

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that this problem is missing some info, or I'm really bad at physics

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't your textbook give you a list of equations for whatever you're learning?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Doesn't your textbook give you a list of equations for whatever you're learning?
We don't go by the textbook, she teaches us with labs and stuff, there are several equations but none of them fit

Brady Aucoin said:
We don't go by the textbook, she teaches us with labs and stuff, there are several equations but none of them fit
Also this is review for my final and we learned it a while back, I'm taking a practice test and need to get this question right

Post the equations that you do know.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Post the equations that you do know.
d = vi•t + 0.5*a*t2
vf = vi + a•t
vf2 = vi2 + 2*a•d
that's about it, i can't find a lot of formulas pertaining to initial launch velocity

Last edited by a moderator:
Brady Aucoin said:

Homework Statement

Warren weights 70 kg and is shot out of a cannon at 25 degrees above the horizontal. the cannon barrel tip is 1.34m above the ground and the cannon has a mass of 203kg.
What is Warren's initial launch velocity?[/B]

Homework Equations

I don't even know[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that this problem is missing some info, or I'm really bad at physics[/B]
What happens to Warren after he leaves the cannon? Without knowing that, you can't determine what Warren's initial launch velocity was.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
What numbers in your problem matches the variables in those equations?

Brady Aucoin said:
What is Warren's initial launch velocity?
If that is the complete problem statement, the problem does not make sense.
Is there something else given? Maybe in a second part, or in a sketch of the problem?

Guys, I went to my professor and she said that it was missing the range, sorry for sounding really confusing.

Likes mfb
And thanks for trying to help me, i did get an A+ on the homework, which is the best possible outcome

1. What is projectile motion cannon shot?

Projectile motion cannon shot is a type of motion that occurs when an object, such as a cannonball, is launched into the air and follows a curved path due to the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile motion cannon shot?

The trajectory of a projectile motion cannon shot is affected by the initial velocity, launch angle, and the force of gravity.

3. How does air resistance impact the motion of a cannon shot?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can impact the motion of a cannon shot by slowing it down and altering its trajectory. This is why projectiles with less surface area, such as bullets, travel farther than objects with larger surface areas, such as feathers.

4. Can a cannon shot ever achieve a perfect parabolic trajectory?

No, a cannon shot will never achieve a perfect parabolic trajectory due to the effects of air resistance and the force of gravity. However, with precise calculations and ideal conditions, the trajectory can be very close to a parabola.

5. How does the height of the cannon affect the motion of a projectile?

The height of the cannon does not affect the motion of a projectile as long as the initial velocity and launch angle remain the same. The only factor that affects the trajectory is the force of gravity.