Was the Driver Really Traveling Under 15 km/hr?

In summary, the conversation is about a sample exam question involving a collision between two cars, with one car rear-ending the other at an intersection. The police determined that the cars moved 0.76 meters together after the collision, and tests revealed the coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and pavement. The driver of the moving car claims to have been traveling less than 15 km/hr, but calculations based on equations and the given information show that the true speed was 23.3 km/hr. Therefore, the driver was not telling the truth.
KrispyKrunch
Hey there! So, I've got this sample exam that I'm working my way through, and I'm stuck on a few questions, but this one is particularly frustrating me:

A careless driver rear-ends a car that is stopped at an intersection. Just before the collision, the driver slams on his brakes, locking the wheels. The mass of the struck car also has his foot on the brake pedal, locking the wheels. The mass of the struck car is 900kg, and that of the initially moving car is 1200Kg. On collision, the bumpers of the two cars mesh. Police determines from skid marks that after the collision the two cars moved 0.76metres together, straight into the intersection. Tests revealed that the frictional coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and pavement was 0.92. The driver of the moving car claims that he was traveling less than 15 km/hr as he approached the intersection. Is he telling the truth? Hint find the speed of the cars just after the collision first.

(Possible?) Equations:

fkinetic = (µkinetic)(n)
(µkinetic)=kinetic friction coefficient
n= m*g

m1 v1i + m2 v2i = m1 v1f + m2 v2f
and
1/2 m1 v1i2 + 1/2 m2 v2i2 = 1/2 m1 v1f2 +1/2 m2 v2f2
(am I missing any equations ?)

Ok, so to start, I don't know how to get the speed? I'm assuming you would first change the meters into Km, but I honestly don't know how to get the speed! I know that once I get the initial velocity, I can use the elastic collision formula to figure out the final velocity(or is it the other way around?) If you could point me in the right direction that would be fantastic! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I know that the answer is supposed to be 23.3km/hr, and that the driver was not telling the truth.

Hello there! It seems like you have a good understanding of the equations involved in this problem. To find the speed of the cars just after the collision, you can use the equation m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f, as you mentioned. This equation states that the initial momentum of the two cars (before the collision) is equal to the final momentum (after the collision).

To solve for the initial velocity, you will need to know the final velocity of the cars, which can be calculated using the conservation of kinetic energy equation: 1/2 m1v1i^2 + 1/2 m2v2i^2 = 1/2 m1v1f^2 + 1/2 m2v2f^2.

Once you have the final velocity, you can plug it into the first equation and solve for the initial velocity. This will give you the speed of the cars just after the collision.

As for converting meters to kilometers, you can use the conversion factor 1 meter = 0.001 kilometers.

Using the given information about the skid marks and the frictional coefficient, you should be able to calculate the final velocity and determine if the driver's claim of traveling less than 15 km/hr is true. I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Good luck on your exam!

Related to Was the Driver Really Traveling Under 15 km/hr?

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy and momentum of the system before the collision are equal to the total kinetic energy and momentum after the collision.

2. How does an elastic collision differ from an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the objects involved bounce off each other with no loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

3. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision between two cars?

The outcome of an elastic collision between two cars is affected by the mass, velocity, and angle of collision of the two cars. The more massive the cars and the higher their velocities, the greater the force and damage caused by the collision. The angle of collision also plays a role, as a head-on collision will result in more damage than a glancing collision.

4. Can an elastic collision between two cars result in one car completely stopping and the other car continuing with the same velocity?

No, in an elastic collision between two cars, both cars will experience a change in velocity. The car with the smaller mass will experience a greater change in velocity compared to the car with the larger mass.

5. What safety measures can be taken to reduce the impact of an elastic collision between two cars?

Some safety measures that can reduce the impact of an elastic collision between two cars include wearing seatbelts, using airbags, and having a car with proper crumple zones and other safety features. Following traffic laws, maintaining a safe driving distance, and avoiding distractions while driving can also help prevent collisions.