Water Container Force: Impact of Finger Dip on Scale Measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of dipping a finger into a container of water on a scale. It is determined that the force exerted on the scale will increase due to the finger creating a downward force, and this is confirmed through the application of Newton's laws. The concept of surface tension is also explored, with the conclusion that fingers are hydrophilic and do not break surface tension. It is also noted that the surrounding water will develop a hydrostatic pressure distribution, causing the scale reading to increase. A specific experiment is mentioned where the scale reading increased from 9.1 oz to 9.4 oz when a finger was submerged in the water.
echoi11
A container of water is sitting on a scale. I dip my finger into the water without touching the sides or bottom of the container. Is it true that the force exerted on the scale by the container will decrease because the finger creates a downward force?

Physics news on Phys.org
I meant that the force will increase.

Are you familiar with Newton's laws?

You can treat the water+container as a single object and draw a very simple free body diagram for it.

Yes I am. Looking at Newtons law, I feel that the force exerted will increase. I just wanted some confirmation.

Yes, you have applied Newtons laws to reach the correct conclusion

Likes sophiecentaur
so, liquids are interesting. what happens just before your finger breaks the surface tension of the water? look at this same problem as the viscosity of the liquid thickens.

my hypothesis is, using water on a accurate micro-grams scale, the scale reading goes up from no-touch to the point where your finger breaks the surface tension, and then slightly down as the water wicks up your finger after breaking surface tension.

Physics_Kid said:
my hypothesis is, using water on a accurate micro-grams scale, the scale reading goes up from no-touch to the point where your finger breaks the surface tension, and then slightly down as the water wicks up your finger after breaking surface tension.
If surface tension is something that you must break then your finger must be hydrophobic. Water should not wick up a hydrophobic finger.

Experiment indicates that fingers are hydrophillic. There is no surface tension to break. Water wicks up from the moment contact is made. However, my test (in the sink in a handy rest room) was not sensitive enough to determine if there was an attraction even before contact was made.

jbriggs444 said:
If surface tension is something that you must break then your finger must be hydrophobic. Water should not wick up a hydrophobic finger.

Experiment indicates that fingers are hydrophillic. There is no surface tension to break. Water wicks up from the moment contact is made. However, my test (in the sink in a handy rest room) was not sensitive enough to determine if there was an attraction even before contact was made.

i dunno, oily finger perhaps, add some chapstick. i guess its one of the unknowns, or, perhaps multiple answers?

Your finger will be pressed up by a force equal to the of the weight of the amount of water it displaces, and every force must be balanced by an equal and opposite force, so a sensitive scale under the container will register this added force.

Suppose you dipped your finger into the water and, at the same time, removed from the container the exact same volume of water that your finger displaces below the surface (so that the level of the surface is unchanged). Neglecting the tiny effect of surface tension, do you think the reading of the scale would increase, decrease, or remain the same.

I placed a cup filled with water on a scale. It read 9.1 oz. I stuck my finger into the water and the reading went up to 9.4 oz. Case closed.

The surrounding water doesn't know that it is your finger that is filling the displaced space. It thinks that there is still water present there, or, more precisely, it develops a hydrostatic pressure distribution that is the same as if water was present in the submerged space occupied by your finger. This includes the pressure at the very base of the container, where the pressure is now higher. Therefore, the reading on the scale will increase by the weight of a volume of water equal to the submerged volume of your finger.

pixel said:
I placed a cup filled with water on a scale. It read 9.1 oz. I stuck my finger into the water and the reading went up to 9.4 oz. Case closed.
The submerged volume of your finger must have been about 0.3 fl oz. See my post #12.

Related to Water Container Force: Impact of Finger Dip on Scale Measurement

1. What is the purpose of studying the impact of finger dip on scale measurement?

The purpose of studying the impact of finger dip on scale measurement is to understand how the presence of fingers or other objects can affect the accuracy of water container force measurements. This is important in many fields, such as engineering and physics, where precise measurements are crucial.

2. How does the presence of fingers affect the measurement of water container force?

When fingers are present in the water container, they can create additional force on the scale due to their weight and buoyancy. This added force can skew the measurement and lead to inaccurate results.

3. Can the impact of finger dip on scale measurement be minimized or eliminated?

Yes, the impact of finger dip on scale measurement can be minimized or eliminated by ensuring that fingers or other objects are not in contact with the water container during the measurement. This can be achieved by using proper techniques, such as using tongs or gloves to handle the container.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the accuracy of water container force measurements?

Aside from the presence of fingers, other factors that can affect the accuracy of water container force measurements include the type and precision of the scale used, the shape and size of the container, and the temperature and composition of the water.

5. How can the impact of finger dip on scale measurement be accounted for in experiments?

To account for the impact of finger dip on scale measurement in experiments, researchers can conduct control trials where the measurement is taken without any fingers or objects in the container. This can help to determine the amount of force added by the presence of fingers and adjust the results accordingly.