Water flowing out of a tank through a hole

In summary: Please restate what you think the continuity principle says. It does not state that the flow velocity across a particular interface stays constant over time.The principle of continuity says that the velocity of fluid flow across a surface should stay the same. This is intuitive because if you have a bucket with a closed top and a hole in the bottom then no fluid will flow out of the hole.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Water stands up to a height ##h## in an open tank which has a hole in the bottom when the experiment begins, as shown in the figure below.

Explain whether one can apply the continuity equation for the top surface of water (marked ##\mathbf 1##) and for the hole at the bottom (marked ##\mathbf 2##) where the water flows out, assuming water to be incompressible.
Relevant Equations
Continuity equation : ##A_1 v_1 = A_2 v_2##, where the ##A's## and the ##v's## are the areas and velocities at positions 1 and 2 respectively.
1580210807187.png

I assume the water to start flowing from rest at position 1, hence ##v_1 = 0##. Applying the continuity equation, ##A_1 v_1 = A_2 v_2##, we find the (wrong) result that the velocity at position 2 is ##v_2 = 0## also! (We assume that ##A_2## is small but finite)

Hence, to answer the question, the continuity equation cannot be applied for points 1 and 2. A possible reason for this is there is no continuity for point 1 - no water is flowing into it. "Continuity" demands no loss or gain of liquid at a given point, which is violated for point 1.

Is my reasoning correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
brotherbobby said:
I assume the water to start flowing from rest at position 1, hence ##v_1 = 0##. Applying the continuity equation, ##A_1 v_1 = A_2 v_2##, we find the (wrong) result that the velocity at position 2 is ##v_2 = 0## also! (We assume that ##A_2## is small but finite)
The argument here is correct. However, the conclusion you draw is not.

Why do you think that the result of zero [initial] velocity is wrong?

jbriggs444 said:

Am assuming the liquid to be at rest to begin with. Torricelli's principle states that a column of liquid open at both ends to air can be treated to be like a stone falling from rest, both acquiring the same speed (##\sqrt{2gh}##) opon falling a height ##h##. Of course the crucial difference is that the water would have that speed in all directions, while for the stone it is vertically down.

Hence the water starts flowing from zero speed. Is the reasoning correct?

jbriggs444 said:

Oops, did you mean zero [final] velocity?

Well, surely the result is wrong as we know liquids to flow out with a finite speed ##v_2 \neq 0##.

brotherbobby said:
Oops, did you mean zero [final] velocity?
I said what I meant and I meant what I said.

You have assumed an initial state with zero motion at the top surface and correctly concluded that the principle of continuity then requires that the initial state also have zero fluid motion at the hole.
brotherbobby said:
Well, surely the result is wrong as we know liquids to flow out with a finite speed ##v_2 \neq 0##.
We know that they attain a finite speed, yes.

brotherbobby said:
Am assuming the liquid to be at rest to begin with. Torricelli's principle states that a column of liquid open at both ends to air can be treated to be like a stone falling from rest, both acquiring the same speed (##\sqrt{2gh}##) opon falling a height ##h##. Of course the crucial difference is that the water would have that speed in all directions, while for the stone it is vertically down.

Hence the water starts flowing from zero speed. Is the reasoning correct?
No. This reasoning is not correct.

You started with the premise: "assuming the liquid to be at rest to begin with"
You ended with the conclusion: "hence the water starts flowing from zero speed".

You've simply restated your assumption. Torricelli's principle is irrelevant. That argument has no force.

I cannot see a way out. One of the two has to give.

1. Either we abandon continuity (because point 1 has no water flowing "into" it) and find the velocity of outflow ##v_2## using Bernoulli's equation. This was my feeling to start with since continuity was giving the result ##v_2 = 0##. But I am assuming that the liquid has zero speed at point 1, an intuitive point but might well be untrue.

2. Or we accept continuity and assume a vanishingly small but finite speed at position 1 (##v_1 \neq 0##). But that would fly in the face of intuition - the water has a small speed to begin with at position 1? How come?

brotherbobby said:

1. Either we abandon continuity (because point 1 has no water flowing "into" it) and find the velocity of outflow ##v_2## using Bernoulli's equation. This was my feeling to start with since continuity was giving the result ##v_2 = 0##. But I am assuming that the liquid has zero speed at point 1, an intuitive point but might well be untrue.
Please restate what you think the continuity principle says. It does not state that the flow velocity across a particular interface stays constant over time.

Also, who says that point 1 has no fluid flowing into it? It most certainly does. Air is a fluid.

Are you, perhaps, reasoning that if we have a bucket with a closed top and a hole in the bottom then no fluid will flow out of the hole? If so, that reasoning is perfectly correct. The result can be demonstrated experimentally to be true. I've done that experiment many times (most easily done with an inverted drinking glass and a playing card). Water indeed does not flow out.

That is one reason that they put vent holes in gasoline cans.

jbriggs444 said:
Please restate what you think the continuity principle says. It does not state that the flow velocity across a particular interface stays constant over time.

Also, who says that point 1 has no fluid flowing into it? It most certainly does. Air is a fluid.

Are you, perhaps, reasoning that if we have a bucket with a closed top and a hole in the bottom then no fluid will flow out of the hole? If so, that reasoning is perfectly correct. The result can be demonstrated experimentally to be true. I've done that experiment many times (most easily done with an inverted drinking glass and a playing card). Water indeed does not flow out.

That is one reason that they put vent holes in gasoline cans.

According to continuity, the net (volume) of liquid flowing through a a section is constant over time, assuming liquid is not compressibe. That is ##\dot V = \text{constant}##, and since ##\dot V = Av##, we have ##A_1 v_1 = A_2 v_2##.

"Are you, perhaps, reasoning that if we have a bucket with a closed top and a hole in the bottom then no fluid will flow out of the hole? If so, that reasoning is perfectly correct. The result can be demonstrated experimentally to be true. I've done that experiment many times (most easily done with an inverted drinking glass and a playing card). Water indeed does not flow out. "

I am unaware of this example, fascinating though it looks. Please explain it to me when you can. But for now, am stuck with this problem without seeing a way out.

jbriggs444 said:

Yes. But air has a density different from water. Does continuity apply for an interface involving two different fluids?

I am aware that in the event of compressibility, continuity comes in with the density (##\dot m = \text{constant}##) : ##\rho_1 A_1 v_1 = \rho_2 A_2 v_2##. However, I assume this is for the "same" liquid, compressed or expanded to have a different densities. I am not sure this is valid for the complicated case where one fluid moves into a section (or interface) and a different fluid flows out.

brotherbobby said:
Yes. But air has a density different from water. Does continuity apply for an interface involving two different fluids?
Fair enough.

Instead of directly considering a plane where the top surface of the water lies, consider a plane that is fixed in place a small distance below where that surface starts.

Would you agree that the continuity equation applies between this surface and the egress hole?

jbriggs444 said:
Fair enough.

Instead of directly considering a plane where the top surface of the water lies, consider a plane that is fixed in place a small distance below where that surface starts.

Would you agree that the continuity equation applies between this surface and the egress hole?

1580299107376.png

Let me make a small drawing of the plane you mention.

Yes, continuity would apply to the plane immediately below the one from where the water begins to flow.

brotherbobby said:

2. Or we accept continuity and assume a vanishingly small but finite speed at position 1 (##v_1 \neq 0##). But that would fly in the face of intuition - the water has a small speed to begin with at position 1? How come?
As far as I can make out, your argument says that you cannot make an iron rod move by pushing on one end because the velocity starts at zero at the other end. (Maybe with the ends reversed from you bucket of water model, but the principle is the same.)
The resolution is that nothing is completely rigid or incompressible. It will take some minute fraction of a second for the interatomic forces to ripple along.

Likes jbriggs444
The problem is asking, "Explain whether one can apply the continuity equation for the top surface of water (marked 1) and for the hole at the bottom (marked 2) where the water flows out, assuming water to be incompressible. " My interpretation is that the author omitted to say "given that water flow has already been established". I base this interpretation on the figure that shows a puddle of water in front of the tank and a drop in the process of emerging from the nozzle. I suspect that the point of the question is "Is the continuity equation applicable when there is a difference in height between A1 and A2?"

kuruman said:
The problem is asking, "Explain whether one can apply the continuity equation for the top surface of water (marked 1) and for the hole at the bottom (marked 2) where the water flows out, assuming water to be incompressible. " My interpretation is that the author omitted to say "given that water flow has already been established". I base this interpretation on the figure that shows a puddle of water in front of the tank and a drop in the process of emerging from the nozzle. I suspect that the point of the question is "Is the continuity equation applicable when there is a difference in height between A1 and A2?"

There is a way out of this, if I am right in what I write below.

Let us calculate the efflux velocity (initially at ##t = 0##) ##v_2## using the more reliable method of Bernoulli's theorem. The well known answer is ##v_2 = \sqrt{2gh}##. This gives the velocity at the open (top) surface ##A_1## as ##v_1 = \frac{A_2}{A_1} \sqrt{2gh}##. Hence, assuming ##A_2 \lll A_1##, ##v_1 \approx 0##. The diagram alongside shows my calculations.
1580386649154.png

Note, the crucial approximation in the end. In the event the top and bottom areas (##A_1\; \text{and}\; A_2##) are comparable, as the case will be if we made the same hole at the bottom of a glass tube of the same height as that of the tank, the starting velocity at the top ##v_1## would be comparable (though smaller) to ##v_2##.

I make a diagram of a test tube containing water. Note the open area ##A_1## of the test tube is much less than that of the tank but the hole area at the bottom ##A_2## is the same. The two velocities are comparable.
1580387498044.png

brotherbobby said:
There is a way out of this, if I am right in what I write below.
The way out of what? I don't understand what you have shown by invoking the Bernoulli equation. The Bernoulli equation is a statement of conservation of mechanical energy per unit volume in the case of an ideal incompressible fluid. The continuity equation is a statement of mass conservation, namely that if μ mass per unit time (kg/s) of fluid flows through area A1, the same μ kg/s of fluid must flow through area A2 under the assumption that the fluid is completely rigid and incompressible. I think it is safe to answer the question under this assumption.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
The way out of what? I don't understand what you have shown by invoking the Bernoulli equation. The Bernoulli equation is a statement of conservation of mechanical energy per unit volume in the case of an ideal incompressible fluid. The continuity equation is a statement of mass conservation, namely that if μ mass per unit time (kg/s) of fluid flows through area A1, the same μ kg/s of fluid must flow through area A2 under the assumption that the fluid is completely rigid and incompressible. I think it is safe to answer the question under this assumption.

I started this thread with a doubt. Is the continuity equation applicable for an open tank filled with water and a hole in the bottom? How can it be, for it will mean the velocity of outflow ##v_2 = 0##, as, supposedly, ##v_1 = 0##, the velocity at the top surface of the liquid. This assumption seemed reasonable because the top surface of liquid is at rest initially. But clearly something is wrong here because we know ##v_2 \neq 0##.

I have since progressed to understand that yes the continuity equation is valid for this situation, but that ##v_1 > 0##, contrary to what I felt earlier. My last post is an attempt at clarifying the matter.

brotherbobby said:
I started this thread with a doubt. Is the continuity equation applicable for an open tank filled with water and a hole in the bottom? How can it be, for it will mean the velocity of outflow ##v_2 = 0##, as, supposedly, ##v_1 = 0##, the velocity at the top surface of the liquid. This assumption seemed reasonable because the top surface of liquid is at rest initially. But clearly something is wrong here because we know ##v_2 \neq 0##.

I have since progressed to understand that yes the continuity equation is valid for this situation, but that ##v_1 > 0##, contrary to what I felt earlier. My last post is an attempt at clarifying the matter.
It is not clear that you have come to grips with the idea that ##v_1## can start out zero and increase and that ##v_2## can also start out zero and increase without ever violating continuity.

Your initial doubt seems to have stemmed from comparing ##v_2## after a while with ##v_1## right away and deciding that the mismatch meant something.

I will try to explain the continuity equation one more time. Fill a conical funnel with water and plug the outlet hole with your finger (it is safe to try this at home). Let's say that the water area at the surface is A1 and the area of the outlet hole A2. Note that no water is flowing, i.e. v1=v2=0. The continuity equation becomes A1x0=A2x0. That certainly is true.

Now unplug the outlet hole. The continuity equation says A1v1=A2v2. Note that all quantities in the equation except A2 are functions of time. Considering that the continuity equation is applicable immediately after you remove your finger at t = 0 (before the water starts flowing), do you think that there is a later time at which the continuity equation stops being applicable?

kuruman said:
I will try to explain the continuity equation one more time. Fill a conical funnel with water and plug the outlet hole with your finger (it is safe to try this at home). Let's say that the water area at the surface is A1 and the area of the outlet hole A2. Note that no water is flowing, i.e. v1=v2=0. The continuity equation becomes A1x0=A2x0. That certainly is true.

Now unplug the outlet hole. The continuity equation says A1v1=A2v2. Note that all quantities in the equation except A2 are functions of time. Considering that the continuity equation is applicable immediately after you remove your finger at t = 0 (before the water starts flowing), do you think that there is a later time at which the continuity equation stops being applicable?

No, the continuity equation is valid for all values of time ##t >0##.

My confusion was about the time ##t = 0##. Assuming ##v_1 = 0##, continuity gives ##v_2 = 0## also. Clearly that is not true since the water has a starting speed at the 2nd end but not at the first. I cannot see how continuity can be used to solve this.

But as we know, it can be solved using Bernoulli's equation.

brotherbobby said:
the water has a starting speed at the 2nd end
I don't see why you are so sure of that.
If you consider a thin disc of water at the hole, it has a mass and a force acts on it. That creates a nonzero acceleration, but it can still be an acceleration from rest.

haruspex said:
I don't see why you are so sure of that.
If you consider a thin disc of water at the hole, it has a mass and a force acts on it. That creates a nonzero acceleration, but it can still be an acceleration from rest.

Yes, I agree to that. You mean that at ##t = 0##, both ##v_1\; \text {and} \; v_2 = 0##?

brotherbobby said:
the water has a starting speed at the 2nd end
The water has a starting speed of zero at both ends. [Or non-zero at both, depending on your starting setup].

brotherbobby said:
Yes, I agree to that. You mean that at ##t = 0##, both ##v_1\; \text {and} \; v_2 = 0##?
Yes.

Here is yet another way to look at the continuity equation. It says ##Av=\text{constant}##. At ##t=0##, before the water starts flowing, the value of the constant is zero. After the water flow has started, the product ##Av## is still constant but non-zero at different points along the path at every instant. You can figure out its value by multiplying the speed of the fluid by the area through which it flows at any point along the fluid flow.

What is the flow rate of water coming out of the tank through the hole?

The flow rate of water coming out of a tank through a hole is dependent on several factors such as the size of the hole, the pressure of the water inside the tank, and the viscosity of the water. It can be calculated using Bernoulli's equation or the discharge equation.

How does the height of the water in the tank affect the flow rate?

The height of the water in the tank, also known as the head, directly affects the flow rate. The higher the water level, the greater the pressure and therefore, the faster the water will flow out of the tank through the hole.

What is the relationship between the size of the hole and the flow rate of water?

The size of the hole has a direct impact on the flow rate of water. A larger hole will allow more water to flow out of the tank at a faster rate, while a smaller hole will restrict the flow and result in a slower rate.

How does the shape of the hole affect the flow of water?

The shape of the hole can also impact the flow of water. A round hole will have a more consistent and predictable flow rate, while a non-circular or irregularly shaped hole may result in a turbulent flow and a less predictable rate.

What other factors can affect the flow rate of water from a tank through a hole?

Other factors that can affect the flow rate of water from a tank through a hole include the temperature of the water, the material and smoothness of the hole, and the presence of any obstructions or restrictions in the flow path.