Water in evaporative cooler reservoir looses heat?

In summary, a typical evaporative cooler uses a squirrel cage blower to suck outside air over fiber pads that are wet with water from a reservoir. The unevaporated water returns to the reservoir, potentially influencing its temperature. In a practical situation, the water in the reservoir is constantly refilled and some water evaporates from its surface. However, the pads of the cooler feel cool relative to the outside air, suggesting that the unevaporated water flowing over them is being cooled. This process is similar to that of a cooling tower, where the temperature of the leaving air and water are both lowered by the process.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
A typical evaporative cooler works by pumping water from a reservoir in the bottom on the cooler onto fiber pads. A squirrel cage blower sucks outside air over the pads and delivers it into the house. The unevaporated water drips back into the reservoir so whatever heat exchange process goes on at the fiber pads should influence the temperature of the reservoir. Does the return water get a net gain or loss of heat?

In a practical situation, the water in the reservoir is constantly refilled and water also evaporates from its surface. I only wish to consider what heat exchange goes on with the unevaporated water due to its flowing over the pads. The pads of evaporative coolers feel cool relative to the outside air so its tempting to think that the water in the reservoir is being cooled by the trip over the pads.

Science news on Phys.org
You are correct. An evaporative cooler is fundamentally the same as a cooling tower. In a perfect situation, the temperature of the leaving air and water are exactly the same: both are lowered (vs their incoming temperatures) by the process.

1. Why does the water in my evaporative cooler reservoir lose heat?

The water in an evaporative cooler's reservoir loses heat due to the process of evaporation. When hot air from the environment passes through the cooler's pads, the water on the pads evaporates, causing a cooling effect. This results in a decrease in the water's temperature in the reservoir.

2. How does the water in an evaporative cooler's reservoir cool the air?

The water in the reservoir of an evaporative cooler cools the air by evaporating. As the hot air from the environment passes through the cooler's pads, the water on the pads evaporates, causing a cooling effect. This cooled air is then circulated into the room, providing a cool and comfortable environment.

3. What factors can affect the rate of heat loss in an evaporative cooler's reservoir?

The rate of heat loss in an evaporative cooler's reservoir can be affected by several factors, such as the humidity of the environment, the temperature of the air, and the efficiency of the cooler's pads. Higher humidity and lower temperatures can result in a slower rate of heat loss, while lower humidity and higher temperatures can lead to a faster rate of heat loss.

4. How can I maintain the efficiency of my evaporative cooler's reservoir?

To maintain the efficiency of your evaporative cooler's reservoir, make sure to regularly clean and replace the pads. Dirty or worn-out pads can affect the rate of heat loss and decrease the cooling efficiency of the cooler. It is also important to regularly check and adjust the water level in the reservoir to ensure optimal cooling performance.

5. Can I use any type of water in my evaporative cooler's reservoir?

It is recommended to use clean and fresh water in an evaporative cooler's reservoir. Hard water, which contains high levels of minerals, can cause build-up and damage to the cooler's pads and other components. Additionally, using dirty or contaminated water can affect the air quality in your home and may pose health risks. It is important to regularly drain and refill the water in the reservoir to ensure clean and efficient cooling.