Water pump (centrifugal) efficiency, does placement height mater?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the efficiency and performance of a 30 h.p. centrifugal water pump in pumping water out of a pond. The speaker suggests that lowering the pump near the water level and pushing the water up would be more efficient. However, it is clarified that the pump performance depends on the lift height and may not necessarily decrease at a fixed lift height. The type and design of the pump also play a role in its performance. For maximum flow, it is suggested to place the pump close to the water level.
bluechipx
I am pumping water out of a pond that is being dug with a 30 h.p. centrifugal water pump. I am lifting the water about fifteen feet and discharging it at the same level as the pump. I feel lowering the pump near the water level and pushing the water up the fifteen feet would be more efficient. I'm only interested in flow volume, not pressure. Anybody?

Physics news on Phys.org
bluechipx said:
I am pumping water out of a pond that is being dug with a 30 h.p. centrifugal water pump. I am lifting the water about fifteen feet and discharging it at the same level as the pump. I feel lowering the pump near the water level and pushing the water up the fifteen feet would be more efficient. I'm only interested in flow volume, not pressure. Anybody?
As far as I am aware it makes no difference until the height of the pump above the source reaches about 30 ft. Above that, a vacuum will develop, and atmospheric pressure will not be sufficient to push the water up.

I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around the notion that a pump that delivers 1500 gallons per minute would continue to pump that amount right up to the point that it couldn't lift any higher at around 30 feet. Wouldn't it slowly diminish in gallons per minute as it began to reach that point? I would tend to think there must be a difference in lifting water, say 20 feet, depending on which level the pump was at, either top or bottom with total push or total vacuum draw.

haruspex said:
As far as I am aware it makes no difference until the height of the pump above the source reaches about 30 ft. Above that, a vacuum will develop, and atmospheric pressure will not be sufficient to push the water up.
As long as the negative suction at the pump intake doesn't cause cavitation, that is correct.

bluechipx said:
I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around the notion that a pump that delivers 1500 gallons per minute would continue to pump that amount right up to the point that it couldn't lift any higher at around 30 feet. Wouldn't it slowly diminish in gallons per minute as it began to reach that point? I would tend to think there must be a difference in lifting water, say 20 feet, depending on which level the pump was at, either top or bottom with total push or total vacuum draw.
Yes, that is correct: the pump performance follows a pressure and flow curve, so it depends on the lift height.

...but that isn't the same question you asked in your first post. For the scenario in your first post, the lift height is fixed.

Not all water pumps can pump air very well - so it might not be able to self prime. That might be an argument for lowing the pump so it's nearer the water.

Likes russ_watters
Keeping things very basic, in your application, the higher the total lift (distance from water level to discharge) the lower the flow rate. So in theory at a given lift (15 feet from suction to discharge) the flow rate should be the same regardless of where the pump is placed in that 15 foot range. That may or may not be the case with the particular pump you are using. In reality the design of the pump dictates the required suction pressure (or lift capacity from suction). Things like impeller design, volute design, A and B gaps, etc., all affect required suction pressure. Some pumps can lift if they are liquid full (primed) at startup, some pumps can self-prime, some pumps need flooded suction or even positive pressure at the inlet to prevent cavitation. In your application the best way to ensure maximum flow would be to put the pump close to the water level.

1. What is a water pump (centrifugal) and how does it work?

A water pump (centrifugal) is a type of pump that uses centrifugal force to move water. It consists of a rotating impeller that creates a suction force, pulling water into the pump and then forcing it out through a discharge pipe.

2. How is the efficiency of a water pump (centrifugal) measured?

The efficiency of a water pump (centrifugal) is measured by the amount of water it can move in relation to the amount of energy it consumes. This is typically expressed as a percentage and can be calculated by dividing the water power output by the power input and multiplying by 100.

3. Why does placement height matter for the efficiency of a water pump (centrifugal)?

The placement height of a water pump (centrifugal) can affect its efficiency because it determines the amount of head (vertical distance) that the pump must overcome. The higher the pump is placed, the more head it must overcome, leading to a decrease in efficiency.

4. How does the placement height of a water pump (centrifugal) impact its performance?

The placement height of a water pump (centrifugal) directly affects its performance by increasing or decreasing the amount of head that the pump must overcome. As the placement height increases, the pump must work harder to overcome the additional head, resulting in a decrease in performance and efficiency.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the efficiency of a water pump (centrifugal)?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the efficiency of a water pump (centrifugal), such as the size and design of the impeller, the speed of the motor, and the condition of the pump. Regular maintenance and proper sizing of the pump can also impact its efficiency.