Increase the Height of Water Spouts in Garden Ponds

In summary, Dale suggests that in order to increase the water jet height to 30-36 inches, a larger pipe leading to the nozzles should be used to reduce losses in the system. He also suggests that a better pump may be the most expensive option, but the quickest solution. However, he warns that orifice plates may not be a good idea because they would reduce the flow rate and cause high turbulence. Finally, he suggests that the feeder pipes may be adequate, but that modifications may be necessary if the water jet height is to be increased to 30-36 inches.
Dale Wilton
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and seeking help with a project that I am working on at the condominium complex where I live in Thailand during the winter months. We currently have 3 ponds with water spouts in each pond. At this time the water nozzles spray (bubble up) to about 12-14 inches. My challenge is to try to get them to spray (bubble up) to 30-36 inches. Cost is a factor, so what is the most effective but cost efficient way to accomplish this? A single pump feeds the 3 different spray jet arrays consisting of 4, 6 & 8 nozzles. Each array is fed from a 2" pvc main pipe, then reduced with a 2" to 1" T fitting with a 1" x 6" stem with the nozzles mounted on top. These nozzles are mounted just above the water level of the ponds.

Physics news on Phys.org
Waterspout?

Reduce the area of the outlets? It will reduce the water flow and increase the pressure in the system.
A larger pipe leading to them would reduce losses in the system.
A better pump is the easiest but probably the most expensive option.

Likes russ_watters
Thanks mfb,
Yes, the pump would be the quickest solution but as you suggested price will be a factor. I think I understand your comment regarding reducing the outlets - this would be similar to salt shaker - smaller holes in the nozzles would reduce flow and increase pressure causing the water jets to spray higher, correct? I don't understand your comment "A larger pipe leading to them would reduce losses in the system". Does this mean that we should not reduce the 2" pipe to 1" until the water reaches the nozzles (like it is now)? I think you are saying that we need to have the volume - is this correct?

Dale Wilton said:
I don't understand your comment "A larger pipe leading to them would reduce losses in the system". Does this mean that we should not reduce the 2" pipe to 1" until the water reaches the nozzles (like it is now)?
Yes. You don't want to lose energy anywhere else but at the nozzle. You don't want high velocities and therefore high friction anywhere else in the system.

russ_watters said:
Yes. You don't want to lose energy anywhere else but at the nozzle. You don't want high velocities and therefore high friction anywhere else in the system.
Perfect, thank you. I think I have a better understanding of the system now, with your assistance. I think my first step will be to see what adjustments can be made to the nozzle - there may be inserts or orifice plates that can be installed at the nozzle to adjust the restriction and change the height of the water leaving the nozzles.

Many thanks,
Dale

Nozzles look to be the quickest solution, but I'm not sure orifice plates would be a good idea. Yes, you need to reduce the diameter to reduce the flow rate, but that flow needs to be at least as smooth as before. A simple blanking plug with a smaller hole is going to cause a lot of turbulence and not give you the increased velocity you need. A tapered entry and adequate length would seem desirable, but you need someone like Boneh3ad for good advice on that sort of thing.

OTOH I don't think you need to worry too much about the feeder pipes. If they are anything like adequate now, they should be more than adequate when the flow is reduced by 2 to 3 times.

Likes russ_watters
Alternate solution? Thais in my experience place significance on small integers over height. If your budget allows two additional platforms, could you pump the water into a series of vertical catch basins to achieve your desired height? While maintaining symmetries? Provides 3 levels of water progressing in height. Not unlike how miners pumped water above 10m in Thai mining operations using catch ponds and small pumps.

In Thailand beware of intense seasonal flooding in the southern basin. Also, consider biological mosquito control (fish) in your artificial ponds.

Try blocking/shutting off one of the fountains. If the others rise higher it's a system flow or capacity limitation. If they don't, it's a pressure limitation.
Is there a pressure regulator in the system that can be adjusted/modified, perhaps as a built-in pump bypass?

Cheers,
Tom

Likes ChemAir, anorlunda, jim hardy and 1 other person

What is the purpose of increasing the height of water spouts in garden ponds?

The purpose of increasing the height of water spouts in garden ponds is to create a visually appealing and dynamic water feature. The taller water spouts can also help with aeration and circulation of the pond water, which is beneficial for the plants and animals living in the pond.

How are the height of water spouts increased in garden ponds?

There are a few ways to increase the height of water spouts in garden ponds. One method is to use a larger pump that can push water with more force. Another option is to add an extension to the existing water spout, which can be made from materials such as PVC pipes or copper tubing.

Will increasing the height of water spouts affect the water quality in garden ponds?

Yes, increasing the height of water spouts can have an impact on the water quality in garden ponds. The higher water flow and circulation can help with oxygenation and prevent stagnation, which can improve the overall health of the pond. However, it is important to monitor the water quality and make adjustments as needed to ensure it remains balanced.

Are there any risks associated with increasing the height of water spouts in garden ponds?

There are a few potential risks to consider when increasing the height of water spouts in garden ponds. If the water flow is too strong, it could disrupt the balance of the pond ecosystem and harm plants or animals. It is also important to make sure the water spouts are secure and do not pose a safety hazard.

Can the height of water spouts be adjusted after they are installed in garden ponds?

Yes, the height of water spouts can be adjusted after they are installed in garden ponds. This may require some trial and error to find the optimal height for both visual appeal and water quality. It is important to make any adjustments carefully and monitor the effects on the pond to ensure it remains healthy.