Water spray to steam during compression in a hybrid diesel-steam engine

In summary, the conversation is about a new hybrid diesel-steam engine that uses water injection to improve efficiency. The question being discussed is whether injecting atomised water during compression in a steam compressor will have the same effect as adding mechanical work. The conversation ends with the thread being locked due to the lack of a mathematical analysis.
pranj5
I just have read about a new kind hybrid diesel-steam engine where water has been injected inside an internal combustion engine to improve efficiency. The basic principle behind the process is that water will soak up a large section of heat generated by burning the fuel and will turn into steam that will improve the efficiency of conversion of heat into power. While reading a thought suddenly stuck my mind. If atomised water is injected to steam during compression inside a steam compressor, what can possibly be happen. It can certainly be said that the water will soak up the extra heat generated during the compression and will keep the steam saturated until all the water will be converted into steam. I just want to know how much right I am.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Closed for Moderation...

pranj5 said:
If atomised water is injected to steam during compression inside a steam compressor, what can possibly be happen. It can certainly be said that the water will soak up the extra heat generated during the compression...
The water will soak up some of the heat generated during the compression. The steam will soak up some as well.
...and will keep the steam saturated until all the water will be converted into steam.
That isn't intuitively obvious to me and I expect is wrong. But isn't this the same claim you've been making over and over again here? Weren't you already shown how to do the analysis to find out what actually happens? Why don't you just do the analyisis, post it and we'll help make sure it is correct?

Likes Chestermiller, Nidum and berkeman
I have already posted my analysis here in this post. I don't want to post the mathematical details here. I just want to see that whether others agree with what I have thought or not. This thread is different from before by one aspect. In the previous, the whole attention was concentrated on mechanical work. In this thread, I just want to see whether the mechanical work can be replaced by heat or not. In the formula, what has been stated is just the change in enthalpy and that can be done by both mechanical work and adding heat. If the same effect can be achieved by just adding heat, that means a huge leap forward.

pranj5 said:
I have already posted my analysis here in this post. I don't want to post the mathematical details here. I just want to see that whether others agree with what I have thought or not.
We have been through this before: "analysis" means math. Anything else is just handwaving, and we do not allow it. Since you have stated that intent, this thread will not be useful and is therefore locked.

Likes berkeman and Nidum

What is a hybrid diesel-steam engine?

A hybrid diesel-steam engine is a type of engine that combines the use of a diesel engine and a steam engine to produce power. This allows for more efficient fuel consumption and reduced emissions.

How does the water spray to steam process work in a hybrid diesel-steam engine?

In a hybrid diesel-steam engine, water is sprayed into the cylinder during the compression phase. The heat from the compressed air causes the water to evaporate, turning it into steam. This steam then expands, providing additional power to the engine.

What are the advantages of using water spray to steam in a hybrid diesel-steam engine?

The use of water spray to steam in a hybrid diesel-steam engine has several advantages. It can help to increase the engine's efficiency, reduce emissions, and improve power output. It also allows for the use of a smaller and lighter engine, which can save on fuel consumption and costs.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using water spray to steam in a hybrid diesel-steam engine?

One potential drawback of using water spray to steam in a hybrid diesel-steam engine is the added complexity of the engine design. This may make maintenance and repairs more difficult and costly. Additionally, the water spray system may require additional energy to operate, which could offset some of the efficiency gains.

What are some real-world applications of hybrid diesel-steam engines with water spray to steam?

Hybrid diesel-steam engines with water spray to steam have been used in various applications, including locomotives, marine vessels, and power generation plants. They are also being explored as a possible alternative to traditional diesel engines in hybrid cars and trucks. In the future, this technology may also be used in other transportation and industrial sectors to improve efficiency and reduce emissions.