How Does Ambient Temperature Affect Aquarium Water Temperature?

• B
  • Thread starter Protek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation is about figuring out the conditions required to heat an aquarium using the surrounding air. The first step is to calculate the room temperature needed to maintain the desired temperature in the aquarium. The person is curious about controlling parameters in an enclosed system to reach a specific water temperature and how to calculate those parameters. There is a discussion about the possibility of making the water a different temperature than the ambient air, but it is determined that the difference would be minimal.
Protek
Hello, I am in the process of trying to figure out the conditions required to heat an aquarium using the surrounding air. The first step is to figure out how to calculate the room temperature required to keep the aquarium at a desired temperature. I was drawn to this forum when I ran across another persons post on something similar but they wanted to know how to calculate natural bodies.

I'm wanting to know about an enclosed system, one body of water with adequate time to reach equilibrium with the atmosphere, what parameters would I need to control within that enclosed space to reach a desired temperature of the water and how would I calculate those parameters. Thank you for your time

Science news on Phys.org
It seems to me that you would have to work very hard to make the water any substantially different temperature than the ambient air. Perhaps I misunderstand the question

Likes Protek
hutchphd said:
It seems to me that you would have to work very hard to make the water any substantially different temperature than the ambient air. Perhaps I misunderstand the question
No I was just confused, I was thinking about evaporation and wet bulb and was in a rabbit hole. Now I understand that all other factors equal and unchanging the water will be the same temperature as the air. It's late and I didn't get a lot of sleep. Thank you though

There will be a small effect as you describe, but it is de minimus!

1. What is the difference between water temperature and ambient temperature?

The water temperature refers to the temperature of a body of water, such as a lake or ocean. Ambient temperature, on the other hand, refers to the temperature of the surrounding air or environment.

2. How does water temperature affect ambient temperature?

Water temperature can affect ambient temperature through a process called evaporation. When water evaporates, it absorbs heat from the surrounding air, causing the air temperature to decrease. This can lead to cooler ambient temperatures in areas near bodies of water.

3. What factors can impact the difference between water temperature and ambient temperature?

The difference between water temperature and ambient temperature can be influenced by several factors, such as air temperature, humidity, wind speed, and the size and depth of the body of water. Additionally, human activities, such as water pollution and climate change, can also impact this difference.

4. How can measuring water temperature and ambient temperature be useful?

Measuring water temperature and ambient temperature can provide valuable information for various industries, such as fisheries, agriculture, and tourism. It can also help scientists understand the effects of climate change and monitor the health of aquatic ecosystems.

5. Is there a relationship between water temperature and ambient temperature?

Yes, there is a relationship between water temperature and ambient temperature. As mentioned before, water temperature can affect ambient temperature through evaporation. Additionally, changes in ambient temperature can also impact the water temperature, especially in shallow bodies of water.