In summary, Sergio USeptim has some doubts about the implications of the orbital angular operators and its eigenvectors. He thinks that the reason for this is that he does not have a strong knowledge on quantum mechanics. However, he does think that there is some phenomenon in the nature that can create this wave function collapse. He also asks if there is any well-defined spin momentum only in one direction. Finally, he asks if he is correct in his reasoning.
USeptim
I have some doubts about the implications of the orbital angular operators and its eigenvectors (maybe the reason is that I have a weak knowledge on QM).
If we choose the measurement of the z axis and therefore the Lz operator, the are the following spherical harmonics for l=1.

[itex]Y_{1,0}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{3/4\pi}[/itex]cos([itex]\sigma[/itex])

[itex]Y_{1,\pm1}[/itex]=[itex]\mp[/itex][itex]\sqrt{3/8\pi}[/itex]sin([itex]\sigma[/itex])[itex]e^{\pm i\phi}[/itex]

It’s evident that in the first case there is no current since there is no phase change and therefore [itex](∇ψ)^{+}[/itex]ψ - [itex](ψ)^{+}[/itex]∇ψ = 0.

My doubt is: How can we have inertial momentum if there is no current? From my point of view, when l=1 the particle must have orbital momentum over some axis but the Lz operator collapses the wave function and that can destroy its momentum with a probability that might depend on the angle between the real axis of rotation and Z, but as far as I have searched, I haven’t found any reference to confirm or deny this. .

Taking the previous hypothesis as true, another qüestion arises: Is there any phenomenon in the nature that can create this wave function collapse?

The spin orbit coupling could be an example of this wave collapse. According to the orientation between spin and orbital momentum we have different energy levels for same number “l”. In fact, what matters is the total momentum “j”, but this is obtained by the sum of the quantum numbers “m” and “sz”, which brings me to the last qüestion:

Is the spin momentum only well-defined in one direction? That’s plausible since in the Pauli representation only one “Z” coordinate has the eigenvectors (1, 0); (0,1), “X” and “Y” coordinates mix both spin up and spin down.

I would like to check ask whether my reasoning is OK or instead I’m a mess.

Thanks in advance.
Sergio

Physics news on Phys.org
USeptim, Many questions at once! -- please let me keep the answer simple and generic.

One of the features of quantum mechanics is that an observable A can have <A> = 0 and yet <A2> ≠ 0. That's basically what's going on here. Because angular momentum is described by the quantities Lz and L2. When we say L = 1, we're really talking about L2 = Lx2 + Ly2 + Lz2. It's quadratic. And the point is, in the state Lz = 0, even though <current> = 0, there's a <(current)2> ≠ 0, and that's what's related to L2, the angular momentum.

Thanks for your answer Bill_K.

The fact that [itex]A^{2}[/itex] [itex]\neq[/itex] 0 when <A>=0 comes because you can be summing or integrating quantities with different sign, it's the classical problem with the average and the variance.

But is this what is happening with the orbital angular momentum? From the book I have read I get the impression that a single zero spin particle (i.e. a single wave function) can have [itex]L^{2}[/itex] [itex]\neq[/itex] 0 and yet [itex]L_{z}[/itex].

On the other hand, which formula can we use to get <[itex](current)^{2}[/itex]>?

I forgot to say that for l=1, m=0 the harmonic not only gives a <current> = 0 but also the current is zero everywhere, so I don't think it could give a <[itex]current^{2}[/itex]>[itex]\neq[/itex]0

Related to Wave function collapse by orbital angular momentum operator Lz

What is wave function collapse by orbital angular momentum operator Lz?

Wave function collapse by orbital angular momentum operator Lz is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the state of a particle's wave function becomes fixed or determined after a measurement is made on its angular momentum along the z-axis.

What is the significance of the Lz operator in wave function collapse?

The Lz operator represents the observable quantity of angular momentum along the z-axis. It plays a crucial role in determining the state of a particle's wave function after measurement, resulting in the collapse of the wave function.

How does wave function collapse by Lz differ from other collapse mechanisms?

Wave function collapse by Lz differs from other collapse mechanisms in that it specifically pertains to the measurement and determination of angular momentum along the z-axis. Other collapse mechanisms may involve different observable quantities, such as position or energy.

What is the relationship between Lz and the uncertainty principle?

Lz and the uncertainty principle are closely related in that the measurement of angular momentum along the z-axis is subject to the same uncertainty limitations as other observable quantities. This means that the more precisely Lz is measured, the less precise the measurement of another observable quantity, such as position, can be.

Can the wave function collapse by Lz be predicted or controlled?

No, the wave function collapse by Lz cannot be predicted or controlled. It is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics that the act of measurement causes the wave function to collapse into a definite state, and the outcome is inherently unpredictable.